Squier Affinity Strat or Yamaha Pacifica 112V ???

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 104
Given the choice & with both costing around the the same price new which would you buy & why ?
Or for similar money would you buy something different & why ?
BTW I am just starting & have a LP copy that I am struggling with but have tried a couple of "strat style" guitars & found them more comfortable.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 4061
    Personally I'd go for a Tele in that price range.  I'm wary of cheap tremolo (vibrato for the pedants) systems.  You can get tuning problems and sustain might not be great on cheap Strat style guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 4162
    edited January 12
    crunchman said:
    Personally I'd go for a Tele in that price range.  I'm wary of cheap tremolo (vibrato for the pedants) systems.  You can get tuning problems and sustain might not be great on cheap Strat style guitars.
    ^This. Affinity Teles are one of the best bang for your buck guitars out there. Nothing wrong with Pacificas though, but they seem to lack a little something in the personality department.

See...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/122087/a-squier-affinity-sounded-mega-at-rehearsal-tonight/p1
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 1504
    Squier is easier to sell later, but Pacifica might be a better instrument. The Yamaha has a nut that's a bit smaller than standard at 41mm. Some people find this unbearable for some reason. Both guitars have okay tremolos if you know how to set them up. If you have no intentions of using them ever, then yes go for a Tele copy.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 2252
    I have a Bullet Strat at home that the childerbeast uses. added 2 extra springs to the trem, rock solid. 
    Decent instrument, also look at the Vintage Strats, really good value 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1219
    edited January 12
    Yamaha 112V gets my vote, I had one as my first guitar and it was great, didn't even need setting up out of the box. Call me biased but I still don't trust Squiers, especially the cheapest range of Squiers.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 4110
    HAL9000 said:
    crunchman said:
    ^This. Affinity Teles are one of the best bang for your buck guitars out there. Nothing wrong with Pacificas though, but they seem to lack a little something in the personality department.

See...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/122087/a-squier-affinity-sounded-mega-at-rehearsal-tonight/p1
    I was just about to sadly, quote this thread too... ;)
  • baldybaldy Frets: 104
    Thanks for the comments so far.
    If i was to up the budget a little to say £250-£300 or buy second hand there would obviously be choice.
    Is there anything that you guys would recommend in a "strat style" that represents good value for money, that is including used guitars.
    Maybe a Vintage V6 for example ?
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1518
    baldy said:
    Thanks for the comments so far.
    If i was to up the budget a little to say £250-£300 or buy second hand there would obviously be choice.
    Is there anything that you guys would recommend in a "strat style" that represents good value for money, that is including used guitars.
    Maybe a Vintage V6 for example ?
    You can get a Fender Standard Stratocaster used for that money. That’s the way I went and found it a big uogeade on the Pacifica 112 I had before it. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1219
    You can get a used Mexican Fender strat for around the £300 mark or just below.

Vintage strats are good quality but obviously if it's between a brand new Vintage or a used Fender I'd go for the Fender.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SparkySparky Frets: 85
    I recently bought a 1 year old Squier Vintage Modified Strat and it is lovely. Had it setup for around £40.00 and its now a real solid player.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7609
    Avoid the Squier Affinity - the higher-up Squiers aren't bad at all but the low-end ones are fairly shit. A Pacifica 112 will be streets ahead of an Affinity series.

If you can up the budget though, do it - go on eBay and you can find great guitars for £300 all day.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 2252
    edited January 12
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 1844
    At that price you could get this

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/122262/fs-fret-king-blue-label-super-60-hb-inc-generic-hardcase-275

Which is a a lot of guitar for the money. The trem alone used to retail for £100 ish iirc ! 
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 57
    Bucket said:
    Avoid the Squier Affinity - the higher-up Squiers aren't bad at all but the low-end ones are fairly shit. A Pacifica 112 will be streets ahead of an Affinity series.

If you can up the budget though, do it - go on eBay and you can find great guitars for £300 all day.
    Agreed on that - I have both an Affinity and a Yam 112V that I bought as cheapos on Ebay to mod and practice fretwork on and the Yam is miles ahead on quality.

The Affinity has very cheap and nasty pickups and is generally a bit crappy. The Yam has nice Alnico 5 pickups with a coil-tappable h/b and is better built all round. No contest.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 1107
    Never played a Pacifica 112V but every low-priced Yamaha product I've experienced has been good for the money so I would be tempted to go for that. I've got a 200 quid Yamaha acoustic and it's great quality for the money.

My only real experience of Squier is a model from the mid 90s which is terrible but can't really judge today's models by that.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 1797
    edited January 12
    Maybe a tad outdated but still...

https://i.imgur.com/UguLvZs.jpg

Nothing wrong with the affinity stuff but as I have always said right back from when they first came out, the Pacifica 112v is THE best value for money guitar you can buy, I would say at almost any price point. The good thing about them as has already been mentioned is you wouldn't actually need to sell it on. You can keep it forever and use it as a modding platform guitar.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Twitter  |  Instagram  |  YouTube  |  Facebook  |  Website

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 1504
    Nothing wrong with using plywood for a guitar's body as long as it can handle string tension. Here we go again... but before replying please bear in mind the OP is asking about a beginner guitar.
    FWIW, my advice would be to up your budget to £250 and try to negotiate a Mexican Strat.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 2179
    If you are near Dorchester then there is a Pacifica in the music shop window with a £79 tag, and I bet that’s negotiable. I was tempted to buy it for the neck and tuners, and part the rest out.
  • NeilMcG said:
    Bucket said:

Agreed on that - I have both an Affinity and a Yam 112V that I bought as cheapos on Ebay to mod and practice fretwork on and the Yam is miles ahead on quality.

The Affinity has very cheap and nasty pickups and is generally a bit crappy. The Yam has nice Alnico 5 pickups with a coil-tappable h/b and is better built all round. No contest.
    So, buy a used Pacifica. They go very cheap secondhand and you'll be able to sell it at a later stage for at least the money you paid for it if necessary: )
    Roland said:
    If you are near Dorchester then there is a Pacifica in the music shop window with a £79 tag, and I bet that’s negotiable. I was tempted to buy it for the neck and tuners, and part the rest out.
    I wonder if that is a 012 or a 112v, guessing the former at that price.
    Also unfortunately Dorchester is the best part of 3 hours away from me assuming the traffic is OK.
    I mentioned the 112V Pacifica originally as I had read that they were well made, consistent from guitar to guitar & pretty playable.
    They vary in price in my nearest PMT from £209 - £237, depending on colour with free next day delivery.
    The cheapest that I have seen one second hand is £180 plus p&p so not worth it when I can get a new one for basically the same price.
    This thread has given me food for thought though so thanks very much to all who have posted.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1338
    The Yamaha in my experience will be slightly better made and you have the humbucker straightaway which adds versatility. The neck/nut width on a Squier Affinity and a Pacifica is very similar (narrow); the slightly cheaper Squier Bullets are wider, which will feel more comfy if you have long fingers/big hands.

Find a shop that sells one of each if you can, and try them yourself.
    I am going to go to the nearest PMT as they have a good range of guitars & try a few.
    Is it just me though or are all PMT stores as soulless as the one in Cardiff ? 
    It was not a pleasant experience the one & only time I have been in there before but their prices are good.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 672
    What about Cort? They undercut Squier but are made in the same factory.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2837
    You really ought to try out a guitar before buying it. And if you like playing a certain guitar in the shop, buy it. Another similar guitar on the rack beside it will likely feel and play differently. They are made from bits of wood...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1518
    baldy said:
    I am going to go to the nearest PMT as they have a good range of guitars & try a few.
    Is it just me though or are all PMT stores as soulless as the one in Cardiff ? 
    It was not a pleasant experience the one & only time I have been in there before but their prices are good.
    It’s not just you. PMT in Bristol isn’t good either. 
    Rocker said:
    You really ought to try out a guitar before buying it. And if you like playing a certain guitar in the shop, buy it. Another similar guitar on the rack beside it will likely feel and play differently. They are made from bits of wood...
    I know that you are completely correct & I will try out a few different guitars if PMT will let me.
    TBH the only time I have been in there I got the distinct impression that they didn"t want to give me the time of day let alone talk me through the pro"s & con"s of various models, make any suggestions as to suitable models for me or let me play any.
    When the staff member walked off in mid conversation to serve somebody else that was the final straw.
    i waited around for a few minutes then I left without trying a single guitar.
    There is a music shop in my local town but when I was in there over xmas they only had about 4 electric guitars so very little choice & everything they sell is expensive & at full RRP.
    There is another shop in Cardiff, GM Music, which seems more friendly but their range is much smaller than PMT"s & unfortunately they do not stock a couple of the models I wish to try.
    I will have to see how I get on in PMT this time.
    A used guitar could be an option as I have set up a couple now & one of my other hobbies involves soldering components & circuitry so swapping hardware should not be to much of an issue if need be I wouldn"t have thought ?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 235
    @baldy yep gamlin in Cardiff is good. PMT have been fine with me so far may be lucky. Pity cranes closed always good to have another option.
  • A Yamaha Pacifica 112 is significantly better than an Affinity Strat. The Vintage guitars are also superb value. My first singlecut guitar was a Vintage and I was so impressed that I decided to upgrade. I tried some Ibanez options and preferred the Vintage. I tried some LTD Eclipse guitars and preferred the Vintage. I tried Epiphone Les Pauls and still preferred the Vintage and all of these guitars were far more expensive than the Vintage. I eventually went all the way up to a Gibson Les Paul Studio before I was sure I was playing something better, though the difference wasn't as much as the price difference would suggest. If you can stretch to a MiM Fender Standard Stratocaster, they're superb value.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 373
    baldy said:
    Rocker said:
    I know that you are completely correct & I will try out a few different guitars if PMT will let me.
    TBH the only time I have been in there I got the distinct impression that they didn"t want to give me the time of day let alone talk me through the pro"s & con"s of various models, make any suggestions as to suitable models for me or let me play any.
    When the staff member walked off in mid conversation to serve somebody else that was the final straw.
    There is a music shop in my local town but when I was in there over xmas they only had about 4 electric guitars so very little choice & everything they sell is expensive & at full RRP.
    There is another shop in Cardiff, GM Music, which seems more friendly but their range is much smaller than PMT"s & unfortunately they do not stock a couple of the models I wish to try.
    A used guitar could be an option as I have set up a couple now & one of my other hobbies involves soldering components & circuitry so swapping hardware should not be to much of an issue if need be I wouldn"t have thought ?

FWIW I wouldn't be going back to a shop that treated me that way.  Maybe things have changed but when I used to frequent guitar shops, without exception, they were all friendly, helpful and patient.  The above attitude baffles me - everyone knows guitars are addictive, sales staff surely realise that every sale is potentially a customer for life?  

As regards the general discussion I think you should forget about picky issues like Pacifica vs Affinity - there are hundreds of strat style guitars out there secondhand, and pretty much any cheap Encore, Vintage, Yamaha or Ibanez will do.  I got a Yamaha RGX for about sixty quid a few years ago and I think it was an Ibanez from cash converters for £40 just because it was missing a whammy bar.  If you are competent at setting up etc there are serious bargains to be had these days.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2364
    Neill said:
    baldy said:
    Rocker said:

FWIW I wouldn't be going back to a shop that treated me that way.  Maybe things have changed but when I used to frequent guitar shops, without exception, they were all friendly, helpful and patient.  The above attitude baffles me - everyone knows guitars are addictive, sales staff surely realise that every sale is potentially a customer for life?  

As regards the general discussion I think you should forget about picky issues like Pacifica vs Affinity - there are hundreds of strat style guitars out there secondhand, and pretty much any cheap Encore, Vintage, Yamaha or Ibanez will do.  I got a Yamaha RGX for about sixty quid a few years ago and I think it was an Ibanez from cash converters for £40 just because it was missing a whammy bar.  If you are competent at setting up etc there are serious bargains to be had these days.
    I can second the experience there, PMT can genuinely be a bit funny sometimes in my local store.  I won't say which one, but it does sometimes come across that you are interrupting the staff socialising when you go in to buy guitars...

Not always of course they can be very good, probably really just the result of having younger people there who are more musicians than salesmen, its not really a damning indictment of the chain, but it has stopped me going in there personally. 
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender