Squier Affinity Strat or Yamaha Pacifica 112V ???

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 56
    Neill said:

As regards the general discussion I think you should forget about picky issues like Pacifica vs Affinity - there are hundreds of strat style guitars out there secondhand, and pretty much any cheap Encore, Vintage, Yamaha or Ibanez will do.  I got a Yamaha RGX for about sixty quid a few years ago and I think it was an Ibanez from cash converters for £40 just because it was missing a whammy bar.  If you are competent at setting up etc there are serious bargains to be had these days.
    This is true, but a beginner would not be able to set up a cheapo to play properly, nor would they have the tools to fix the common problems with cheap s/h guitars. (all the cheapos I have bought needed fret levelling, various electrical problems fixing and either a new nut or existing nut slots cutting to correct depths)

If they had a friend that had the tools and knowledge to help they'd be golden for very little money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mbembe Frets: 592
    There's a used Pacifica 112V on the Coda website for £115. 

I couldn't think of a better place to buy a used guitar as they setup what they sell as a matter of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • baldybaldy Frets: 70
    Just an update.
    After giving this matter some thought & trying out some guitars in PMT I shelved the Squier Affinity Strat/Yamaha Pacifica 112V idea & bought the below used Yamaha Pacifica 611S from forum member cbilly22 (pleasure dealing with him, very helpful).
    It should be with me Tuesday so the 23rd will be my NGD day  =)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1435
    Superb choice. They're excellent guitars, and buying used means you're unlikely to lose much if anything if you ever move it on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    My thoughts exactly.
    The Affinity was OK & the Pacifica 112V was nicer IMHO but I tried a Pacifica 611VFM (one with a whammy bar as they didn"t have a 611 none whammy) & thought it was even nicer.
    I also tried a couple of Ibanez"s & an Epiphone LP (just to convince myself that I felt more comfortable with the strat style neck & scale).
    The 611VFM was £570 & I went away to have a think about it as it was more than I intended to spend then I saw the above 611S in the classifieds on here  =)

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1172
    Great choice. The downside is that you won’t be able to blame the equipment when you’re really struggling to play that lead lick!
    The strat style neck/scale & 9 guage strings definitely feel more comfortable to my untrained fretting hand than my cheap & nasty LP copy but I did try a £600 Epiphone Les Paul just to make sure that it wasn"t all down to my particular LP.
    Now I will just have to blame my untrained hand & fingers that don"t want to go where I want them to go or don" seem to fit where they are supposed to fit.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 492
    Thank the gods you bought that - it's been siren calling me in my dreams for a while, and I'm supposed to be resisting gear purchases for the forseeable future!

You'll love it - my first electric was a Pacifica and I'm a huge fan of Yamaha guitars and their quality-for-the-price.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 660

Squier guitars are brilliant, and so are the Yamaha's.

I had a Squier Bullet from about 2000/2001. No tuning issues what so ever,

I had friends that are much better players than myself, including gigging and session musicians and they couldn't believe how good it was for the money.

Would they gig with it? Probably not, but they loved it for what it was.

For me the Yamahas are too soulless and clinical, Fender/Squier have got a bit of mojo.

Just my opinion though.

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 290
    baldy said:
    Just an update.
    After giving this matter some thought & trying out some guitars in PMT I shelved the Squier Affinity Strat/Yamaha Pacifica 112V idea & bought the below used Yamaha Pacifica 611S from forum member cbilly22 (pleasure dealing with him, very helpful).
    I'm actually really glad this one has found a good home where it will be a main squeeze instead of part of the flock, which is what happened to it with me. It really is a great player and will serve it's new owner well.

It will be boxed up tomorrow and with you on Tuesday @baldy. Cheers
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 56
    That looks nice - good choice!
    I"m counting off the days  =)
    I even went out today & bought a couple of sets of 9"s as I only have 10"s here.
    Also I have had a word with Mrs Baldy & as it is orange it will colour co-ordinate with our living room so she is going to allow me to hang it on a wall in there rather than it being stuck out of the way in the back bedroom.
    Just got to find a way to convince her that the practice amp will colour co-ordinate with the living room now as well & I can have them both to hand.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 888
    baldy said:
    Just an update.
    That is a great looking guitar and I really like the P90/H combo.

If it's anything like any Yamaha I've tried then I'm sure it plays well too.

Congrats!