Gibson SG revelation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 613
    Not just Zappa - think also Holdsworth playing with Soft Machine at Montreux: one of the godliest performances on an SG in the history of music.
    You just won the internet with that. Have a beer! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • You tried a Firebird yet? Strap in! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 376
    I got a great deal on an SG that had suffered a neck break and had been professionally repaired a few years back.  It quickly became a mainstay gigging guitar, along with my Les Paul.  I sold it a few years after my rock band days at a reasonable price with full disclosure.  Had no problem selling it except I kind of wish I didn't.  Great guitars, no doubt.

Whoever called it "rush hour" should not be allowed to name anything else.

Dulcet Jones Creepy Music Blog http://dulcetjones.blogspot.com/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 1690
    Well I guess the lesson is don’t judge a book by its cover :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 502
    edited January 13
    I love my SG but it took me ages to come round to it after years of only playing LPs. It just felt so "dry" for lack of a better expression when compared to them. After much experimenting with pickups I finally found some that work great in it (Axesrus Purist A4 magnet). I wish I could use a bridge p90 in it because that just feels right but they sound too thin - even the Bare Knuckle Pig 90 didn't really work for me! I have a neck humsize p90 which sounds great.

My only regrets are getting a cherry red one and the big scratchplate - just looks a bit too typical for an SG. It was the best feeling and sounding example in the shop though, and there's no neck dive.
  • andypandyp Frets: 179
    edited January 13
    Before I started learning to play, I always thought SGs looked a bit odd and assumed all they could do was the Angus thing, but when I went shopping for my first guitar I loved the Epi SGs I tried. They felt like my ideal guitar and so easy to play compared to the Strat I borrowed from my Dad to start out on, but I ended up buying on an Epi Les Paul.

Fast forward about a year to the end of 2015 and all I'd done was think about getting an SG and I could now afford one, so I tried a few and the brand new 2016 Faded I tried just felt amazing and I ended up buying it on the spot. I much preferred the satin finish on the neck to the gloss on the Standard and it's worn in really nicely. It still feels fantastic now having seen countless hours of home playing in my learner hands. It sounds snappy and clear and can do any style you could ask, way more than just the Angus stuff. I absolutely love it, it's comfy, light and the shape has really grown on me. There's no neck dive at all, it's spot on and the long neck thing has never ever been an issue.

I've become a big SG fan and I'll never sell this one.

I'm keen one day to get myself a P90 Standard model, but that will be down the line sometime.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2384
    I've never quite liked the ergonomics so one of these are on my list instead

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 154
    Check out a Classic if you can, mine’s fantastic, nice chunky neck and I stuck some Florence Voodoo P90’s in it, sounds sublime!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 3982
    I've never quite liked the ergonomics so one of these are on my list instead

I've got the semi-hollow version, same colour, with the bird inlays too.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 17414
    I had one for a while, as it was the most player-friendly Gibson for someone used to Strats.

There were issues, though. The control layout drove me mad - too far away from the bridge - and very cramped. I couldn’t get beyond the look either - I always associate them with 70s rock bands.

I went to see the Eric Clapton film the other night and was reminded how good they can sound. Still not something I’d want to own again, though....
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8063
    Schnozz said:

Again, like you I didn't like the Angus Young association, but they're more versatile than you would expect
    I heard a great player using one at one of the Beaky Blues Jams. He must have had 12s on it and he sounded well jazzy. Lovely sound :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NeillNeill Frets: 372
    Paul_C said:

Get yourself a Johnny Marr haircut and a big jumper and you can be Kimberly Rew (great sound but I'd rather have a small scratchplate myself).

@Paul_C You know that's actually one of my favourite vids - I thought they were highly underrated before the Eurovis thing, great songs, great sound, great performers.  I had a mate who knew Kimberley Rew, said he was phenomenally talented but unbelievably laid back. We used to do one of his songs "Game of Love" and people would come up to us after saying what a great song but never heard it before, only thing was I played it on a "V" and the sound wasn't quite right when I realised Kimberley used an SG I tried one but it felt so different, I chickened out.  I'm going to give it another try I think.