Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Francis Dunnery

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• You managed to pick their deliberately "Chart Friendly Single" there @p90fool ;

Try this one out, it's long, but has some wonderful playing in there.

or maybe this, another long song though. They were essentially a Prog band for the 80's.

:)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Most people's introduction to Francis Dunnery was on the 1980s C4 documentary on the electric guitar (which also had a section on Jerry Donahue). He was very engaging and played some wonderful runs all over the neck on a Squire. 
    It was called Wham bang kerrang if I remember correctly. Saw it years later and it was a pretty naff documentary for the most part, but the It Bites section was them recording in the studio, far and away the best bit. Francis was widdling fast on a Squier strat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    love Francis Dunnery - Tall Blond Helicopter was pretty much the soundtrack to late (drunk) nights at university for me and a few friends (especially 'It's Only New York Going On'). My guitar teacher at uni introduced me to him via Fearless, then the old It Bites stuff....great singer, composer and guitarist. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Ok cheers guys, I'll have a proper listen later. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    Unsurprisigly, I hated IB.

Their overblown, grandiose, OTT twiddly prog-pop utterly failed to appeal to my Post-Punk mid-‘80’s self.

However, I remember watching the Equinox “Twang Bang Kerrang” documentary when it was first on (still got it on VHS somewhere) and being spellbound by Jerry Donahue, awed by Andy Summers’ fridge-size (Bradshaw?) rack, baffled by the loon Shadows fan and annoyed by FD’s swagger as he fretwanked some (admittedly impressive) Holdsworth-esque one-hand legato runs while relaxing at The Manor.

IIRC, there was a moment when, bigging up the playability of his Squier Strat, he indicated his USA Fender and said “I can’t do this on that one. Well, I can..” and I thought “Tosser”. :)

I also recall there being some weird multi-string thing he played later - interviews/photographs in the long-defunct “Making Music” broadsheet-style mag?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    (especially 'It's Only New York Going On'). 
    That track is perfection! A beautiful study in loneliness. (Not so keen on how he plays it live though)
    ..... and being spellbound by Jerry Donahue
    Ahhh yes, forgot about that bit - quite amazing!
    I also recall there being some weird multi-string thing he played later - interviews/photographs in the long-defunct “Making Music” broadsheet-style mag?
    Yes, he invented a two handed tapping board, I believe he used it to play the brilliant solo on the IB track Rose marie - a long time favourite solo of mine, it comes in brilliantly.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    TheMarlin said:
    He’s not aged well. 
    He thinks the same about his audience ;-) (according to an episode of his radio show on progzilla)
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I've been a FD fan for quite a few years now. I actually prefer his solo albums to the It Bites stuff, 'Let's Go Do What Happens' is a brilliant album, the opener 'My Own Reality' is amazing.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I don't think he is drunk but has probably just been told they have sold enough tickets to cover the cost of the tour and seems kinda happy! Lots of good posts above :)

@miserneil Very cool - John Mitchell is also a fantastic player - he did a solo on my mates album and produced some or all of it too - it was the Tilt album - Steve Vantsis is in that too as well as Lonely Robot of course. My mate Dave Stewart went to school with me and played at mum's jazz gigs when he was 15 - now on tour with Albert Hammond and also in Tilt.

• I haven't heard 'Calling all the heroes' for a long time, but it instantly transported me back to my youth. I disliked it back then but you can't deny it's a good pop song, I'm surprised by how good his voice is. I actually quite like it, now.

That video led to many hilarious piss takes off people we knew who played their guitar too high, and surreptitious strap-adjusting for laughs.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited January 2018
    I love Francis - mad as a box of frogs (met him once or twice and exchange some banter with him on FB)but IMO a genius guitar player - anyone who has ever tried to play some of his stuff AND sing at the same time will quickly realise how good he is.

Saw the original It Bites a few times and were actually the 1st band I ever saw live - completely spellbinding and has always been the benchmark ever since.

Lost complete interest in IB when he left and as good as Mitchell is - IB is only IB with Frank (he hates being called that LOL)

Saw him last year in Wolverhampton and they played OATW in it's entirety and it gave me goosebumps hearing live again with the proper guitar player and singer performing it (IMO)

He's still using the same Squier and he's a surprisingly loud player - got a real punchy sound with not a lot of gain actually - used a Laney LC on last tour with a Nova Drive and a Boss Delay IIRC.

And those Holdsworth licks/runs - I have tried and tried for 30 years and still can't get it!!!!

IIRC, his brother was a very good guitar player too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    When I saw him for the London set last year he was using a Laney Lionheart L20 combo on the clean channel and the T-Rex Batio overdrive with a Rat for solos. I think the Nova was a delay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    I saw It Bites at their peak a couple of times, the 2nd time was probably one of the best live band sounds I have ever heard. Francis's playing and singing was top notch, superb band too. He also did a one man show in Portsmouth just sitting on a chair talking about his past and the music biz, very engaging funny guy 
    Their FOH guy, who was with them from the off is my very dear pal Tom Oliver. He is TM/FOH with the Proclaimers these days (and mixes my band too!) and, when not touring, is one of the countries premier craft cider makers: https://oliversciderandperry.co.uk/

I’ve sent him your post @Danny1969 :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1947
    edited January 2018
    I was never a huge IB fan but quite liked the prog nature of Once Around the World. Saw them play at Cardiff University in 86 and was blown away by Dunnerys playing. I think he was using one of those Seymour Duncan Convertable amps at the time....nice sound but pretty unreliable.
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I used "heroes" as my judging point with this band, my mate kept saying that thats their worst track and have a listen to this track or that track... eventually i did. I love it bites with mr dunnery now, havent listened to them without him, maybe i should do that to. 
    Saw a live solo clip once of him doing genesis " back in ny city" and i still cant get my head round how you can play the riff and sing the lead on it... 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    miserneil said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I saw It Bites at their peak a couple of times, the 2nd time was probably one of the best live band sounds I have ever heard. Francis's playing and singing was top notch, superb band too. He also did a one man show in Portsmouth just sitting on a chair talking about his past and the music biz, very engaging funny guy 
    Their FOH guy, who was with them from the off is my very dear pal Tom Oliver. He is TM/FOH with the Proclaimers these days (and mixes my band too!) and, when not touring, is one of the countries premier craft cider makers: https://oliversciderandperry.co.uk/

I’ve sent him your post @Danny1969 :)
    The sound really was superb, and that comes from someone who has seen hundreds of live gigs over 30 years and a someone who owned a recording studio and has done (still does) a lot of live sound and PA hire. Two gigs stick in my mind as being extraordinary good sounding in terms of clarity and overall mix and they were Pink Floyd at Wembly in and It Bites at Portsmouth Guild hall and (what was then called) the Hammersmith Odeon in London 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Highly underrated player. I love It bites, one of my favourite bands.

Those Holdsworth style licks all over Big Lad In The Windmill!