Japan Photos !

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    That was a superb insight and some great photographs
    Seems it was an eating expedition as much as a voyeuristic one ( can see why - the 7 course looked great )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovely photographs, what an amazing place
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    This was really fascinating thank you for sharing. I REALLY want to visit Japan soon, love the idea of being in such a different society. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Brilliant pics, Raymond, thank you for sharing.

Those power lines everywhere are pretty freaky!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Fascinating stuff. Many thanks.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    And David Sylvian is nowhere to be seen! Seriously though - great shots. Really capture a time and place. A Japanese holiday is definitely on the list of myself and wife's dream holidays.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Oh, apparently after you been to the onsen it is tradition to drink some milk.  There are vending machines selling nothing but these tiny glass bottles of milk.  It also tastes a bit weird, a hint of sweet and touch of citrus at the same time.  It's not like its gone off but in a way kinda nice.

Day 8

Hakone to Tokyo

Today is a long day, I have given myself 2 tasks.  Go see Mt Fuji and then make it to my 8pm slot for Mario Kart VR in Tokyo.

So I got up early and went to the buffet breakfast, a bit of everything.

Going to the station and put my stuff in a locker,  they only take 100 yen coins and you will need about 700yen for the larger ones

The queue was insane, guess this is weekend for you, waited about 45mins here.

There are 2 more rides before you get to the top.  First is a tram.

Then more queues, I waited another hour and a half here, at least I had a view.

Then it's time for a ropeway.

You get handed one of these.

It also have these incase you need to use first-Aid

The Ropeway takes you to one of the 5 lakes.

I didn't stay long, got right back on the ropeway and went back to the mid point.  This is as close as I am ever getting to a live volcano.

I got lucky and saw Mt Fuji, it is often surrounded by clouds.

Here they sell these volcanic ash "marinated" eggs.  Eating one supposed to add 7 years to your life.

It tastes just like a regular boiled egg to be honest.

Then it's a rush to Tokyo, I was late but made Mario Kart VR.

I am in Shinjuku !

Dinner was a place call Yamachan, it's a restaurant that sells a lot of things and they are a chain originally out of Nagoya, what they are famous for are these chicken wings.  A must try if you are in Japan.

You order via iPad.

I got 2 flavours.

Then back to my hotel, which has a nice view, especially from the lobby.

My room was on the 35th floor

Day 9 to be con.
  • Raymond, you did it! Well done. Lovely collection of photos - you should definitely make a photo book of them for your coffee table. I love seeing prints, it's so satisfying. 

Looks like the most wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing. 

BRISTOL86 said:
    Superb photos. Pomegranate Jerry made me literally laugh out loud. If I ever start a band I’m calling us that :) 
    That always reminds me of the scene in Lost in Translation where Scarlet Johansson asks Bill Murray's character "why do they switch the L and the Rs here?"

And they do, but I never knew they would do it when written down!

MtB said:
    Wonderful photos. We have a lot to learn from them in terms of cleanliness of the streets and respect for the countryside. They seem to have a pride in their country that just doesn't exist here. 
    It's not just pride, a big part of it is consideration.  So for example, you don't litter, at all, it's because pubic space is as much yours as someone else's so you don't litter at home, why would you litter outside.  This is also added by the fact that you are not meant to walk and eat.  If you buy something from street stall or 7-Eleven, you don't walk and eat.  You should stand where you are and eat on the spot then carry the rubbish with you, there should be a bin inside 7-Eleven too so you put it in there but if you don't walk and eat, you should never generate any rubbish.  The entire country has very little public bins yet it is so clean.  The only bins i can find are ones next to vending machines with round shapes holes just for cans/bottles recycling.  Same goes with talking loudly on trains and public transports.  Nobody talks (loudly) or speak on the phone at all.  The latter is very frown upon.  So the trains are dead quiet.

And yes, you are right too, Japan is enormously proud of their history and heritage.  They also want to keep it.  Whereas the west has this unrelenting push for modernisation and sweeping history almost to the history books, like there are people wanting to get rid of the Royal Family because they have no place in modern society (another topic altogether), the Japanese keeps seems to embrace their past yet at the same time push for the future.  You can get the oldest shrine in Tokyo, Meji shrine, and 10 mins walk you will be in a really trendy Harajuku district.  I mean, also, have you seen the toilets? Even public loos are heated with bum cleaning sprays!

Dominic said:
    That was a superb insight and some great photographs
    Seems it was an eating expedition as much as a voyeuristic one ( can see why - the 7 course looked great )

It was a camera and food trip.  I did a lot of research before I went so I knew mostly what I wanted to find, where to find them, what city is well known for what etc.  The food there, just the presentation itself is something else, everybody takes care in placing their plates, packaging, from a £5 bowl of ramen to £50 Kobe beef meal.  It makes it all the clear when you go to another country and see food just get shovel onto a plate.

Nitefly said:
    Brilliant pics, Raymond, thank you for sharing.

Those power lines everywhere are pretty freaky!

I know, that is one thing I find fascinating.  I could do a photo essays on them because they are everywhere!midlifecrisis said:
    lovely photographs, what an amazing place

Thanks!

Sassafras said:
    Fascinating stuff. Many thanks.
    Thanks!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited January 2018
    incredible pictures, looks stunning. What camera?

Raymond, you did it! Well done. Lovely collection of photos - you should definitely make a photo book of them for your coffee table. I love seeing prints, it's so satisfying. 

i did ! and I am glad to say I did it my own way, no organised tours, at my own pace and also no compromises (mostly).  I stayed where i wanted, ate when and what i wanted, see what i wanted.  I wouldn't expect anyone to fly down to Fukuoka just for an authentic bowl of ramen for example!

I might a book, I could make one with other places together, especially Hong Kong as I have been there quite a few times.

Canon 5DIV, it has GPS geo tag hence the 1st pic, all the red marks are where photos were taken.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26966

Day 9 to be con.
    That view - Park Hotel? We were there our first night. I have a *very* similar shot :)

You got a great day for Hakone. We had it quiet for tourists, but foggy as anything so the views & photos weren't so good :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Day 9 to be con.
    That view - Park Hotel? We were there our first night. I have a *very* similar shot :)

You got a great day for Hakone. We had it quiet for tourists, but foggy as anything so the views & photos weren't so good :(
    You got it in one.  When I was looking there was a few options within budget including some in Shinjuku but this got better reviews.  The alternative was the Hilton out in Odaiba but that’s 30 mins out further still so opted for this.  Walking distance to Ginza and Tsukiji fish market and one of the stations is right outside the hotel.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26966
    Boom! 

It's a really nice hotel. Walking distance to Tsukiji sold it for MrsF :)
    Boom! 

It's a really nice hotel. Walking distance to Tsukiji sold it for MrsF :)
    I'd stay there again for sure.  Next door is the Royal Park Tokyo, which is one of the stops for the Limousine bus to and from Narita so convenient as well to go to and from the airport.  No trains, not underground.  It's literally door to door.

• Raymond, you did it! Well done. Lovely collection of photos - you should definitely make a photo book of them for your coffee table. I love seeing prints, it's so satisfying. 

i did ! and I am glad to say I did it my own way, no organised tours, at my own pace and also no compromises (mostly).  I stayed where i wanted, ate when and what i wanted, see what i wanted.  I wouldn't expect anyone to fly down to Fukuoka just for an authentic bowl of ramen for example!

I might a book, I could make one with other places together, especially Hong Kong as I have been there quite a few times.

Canon 5DIV, it has GPS geo tag hence the 1st pic, all the red marks are where photos were taken.

Amazing - that's how it's done. 

As ever, lovely shots and great editing. Definitely get some prints from it - lovely work like this should be displayed :) and it would make a wonderful album or book. 

I want to go out there one day - it's a long way off, and I have my eyes on Banff, Canada first but this is inspiring. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    wass with all the eggs?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    wass with all the eggs?
    The japanese are big on eggs. They sell hard boiled eggs in all the convenience stores. Somehow they make them taste slightly salty without breaking the shell. Lovely  :)
    57Deluxe said:
    wass with all the eggs?
    The japanese are big on eggs. They sell hard boiled eggs in all the convenience stores. Somehow they make them taste slightly salty without breaking the shell. Lovely  :)
    i have mastered it at home.  That black thing is a sesame seed.

Freshly done.

or 24 hr marinate, which turn the yoke like clear jelly!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    Wonderful photos Raymond.  I'm not a traveller but it does look a fascinating place.

Have to say I find the food pictures quite intimidating.  Everything looks beautiful but I have absolutely no idea what most of it is. I think I'd lose a lot of weight if I went to Japan.