Beware of Gear4Music.com while purchasing musical instruments

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Used them a couple of times, as did my old bassist. Never a problem!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    My only issue with g4m is that they are not on top of their stock pre orders system. Ive tried to order a few things advertised on pre order that turned out to be discontinued.  But unless you chase, you don't get any updates.

I use them quite a bit though as the are swiss tax registered so no import fee or handling. Generally good to deal with and fix mistakes or take returns easily.

Now musicstore.de or guitarguitar on the other hand....

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    @Philtre ;

And if you care to Google his text from this site, you'll see that he's posted the same thing on Muff Wiggler and on KVR.

Google is my playground
    Muff Wiggler is a fantastic name for a forum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Just a wee postscript to this saga.

This thread started almost coincidentally with me using Gear4Music for the first time.  I placed an order Saturday afternoon, one item being a simple jack plate but Gear4Music seemed to be the only supplier that had the right one in stock. 

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that all six items ordered arrived first thing this morning.  I'm in the Scottish Highlands and there's a foot of snow outside at the moment, so that qualifies as excellent service.  I'll certainly be using them again.     
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    So, our friend Ammeo doesn't normally post these kinds of threads but came here specifically to do so, hasn't posted on anything else and hasn't even been here for a couple of days.

Maybe the thread should be killed as it looks a lot like a personal vendetta to me. Never mind all the extra stuff that has been found on him
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @the_jaffa ;

Gearslutz
    KVR
    Muff Wiggler
    Ocremix
    Drowned in Sound
    Fretboard
    Ultimate Guitar

That's all the places I could find that Ammeo posted his G4M rant on. So yes, he doesn't normally post these kinds of threads but this month he had one hell of a motherfucking exception. 

He is however giving up ranting for Lent. 

5reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Clearly his "I don't normally post these types of thread comment" is like when someone says "I'm not racist but..." or "No offence but..."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I bought a ZOOM R8 from them three weeks ago and I couldn't fault the seamless service and ultra-quick delivery.

All businesses have unhappy customers from time to time. There's a great deal of positives for them on this thread. I would buy again.
  • AmmeoAmmeo Frets: 87
    edited January 2018
    So many salty people in here.  Your lives must be filled with sour.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Ammeo said:

Errrrr...... pot..... kettle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Ammeo said:
    Like mustard-stuffed hornets?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Ammeo said:

My new favourite snack.
  • Ammeo said:
    Not in the slightest. My life is full of audio interfaces. Just before Christmas I ordered a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD USB Audio Interface ordered on 20th December 2017 ( Order no W2199978 ) with shipping date given near 30th December.

It arrived! I loved it so much that I decided to make a second order (order no W2718661) which is the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD USB Audio Interface this time. It arrived within a week. 

THIS IS JUST A DREAM FOR A CUSTOMER. SUCH SERVICES SHOULD BE LAUDED ON INTERNET FORUMS EVERYWHERE. i CANT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH AROUSED I AM NOW.  

19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Sporky said:
    Ammeo said:

My new favourite snack.
    They're very moreish.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I've bought online from them a few times. Had no problems at all.

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Ammeo said:
     i CANT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH AROUSED I AM NOW.  
    Could you give it a try?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horse said:
    Ammeo said:
    Could you give it a try?
    Let's just say that if I took it to the next level, there'd be even more salty people in here. 

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    horse said:
    Ammeo said:
    Could you give it a try?
    Let's just say that if I took it to the next level, there'd be even more salty people in here. 
    Eeeew !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • 46 Frets already? that shit took me ages. This guy is a genius.

Ok so I'm a regular G4M user, i have ordered dozens of things from them, guitars, amps, everything and here are my thoughts.

I personally think Gear4Music are great, but that's because I accept them for what they are, a box shifter. I've personally never had a bad experience with delivery, everything always arrives exactly when stated and they are helpful with returns which I have done on a few occasions. They are a huge company and judging by what they sell on their site they couldn't possibly have it all in stock - they operate like any other company of this size and work off supplier lead time which is probably supplied by a database from the supplier. If a supplier says 2 weeks then they'll reflect this on the product availability (although I suspect with things that are available 'immediately' they just say 'in stock') - If it takes longer than 2 weeks then it is a fault of the supplier, not Gear4Music who have taken the suppliers lead time at face value. Got an issue? Call them, they are helpful on the phone.

I quite often go into the shop and have had varied experiences, non of them terrible, some of them exceptional. In their old premises I went one time to buy an amp. I had a limited budget and settled on an amp but the manager (I believe) told me to try one that was over £100 more. I did just out of curiosity and it was better but I thought it was a pitch and told him I couldn't afford it. He asked if they were both the same price which I'd choose and I said the more expensive so he reduced it to match as he wanted me to have the better and more reliable amp (Blackstar HT50 vs Bugera 333XL)

On the downside I went once for a rack case which I rang ahead to make sure was in stock (their warehouse used to be in a different location to the shop). When I got there they had brought the wrong one from the warehouse so I had driven 45mins for nothing. They got it posted to my house for free, knocked some cash off and apologised so I was happy. Humans make errors.

Since moving to the new premises I've had mixed experiences. I feel like they went through a period of hiring anyone. I was amp hunting again and went in to try every amp available. The kid, and I mean kid working there 'hooked' the amp up for me but didn't plug it into a cab and wondered why there was no sound. I told him why so he plugged a lead into the back of the cab and then without looking felt around and plugged the other end into the footswitch socket. I told him again and he finally looked at the back and asked me which one. I feel sorry for whoever bought that amp (A JVM205h IIRC)

I have been since though and only found adults to be working there. They seem to have less shop floor staff now but they are more experienced. I went to try some PRS Tremonti's but brought my amp and my Les Paul as it had to sound like my Les Paul but with a trem (by sound like my Les Paul I mean it has a mojo that my strat has too, nothing about a specific tonally quality) The guy got me every Tremonti they had in stock from the stock room, which was 3 exotic woods and one sunburst. He also got me an SE Custom 24 and an S2 Standard 24 to try for comparison and something a bit different. I was there for hours plugging into each one and then back into my Les Paul and although the Tremonti was fantastic I wasn't 100% convinced. I was trying to be impulsive but the guy in the shop wouldn't let me, he said he could tell that I liked the idea of it more than the reality and said my Les Paul sounded better (an MIJ Tokai) - He even got me a Gibson Les Paul off the shelf to try and we both agreed my Tokai sounded better. He said I don't need a new guitar and shouldn't get one right now but to think about it so I left having taken 2 hours of their time with nothing (and he made me a cup of coffee).

No shop is perfect because no human is perfect. People make mistakes, whether its a box shifter or a small shop. Its how they handle it that is important and from my experience if you ring gear4music or see them in person then they always handle it well. Maybe less so via email (I just ring them) but then that is the case with a lot of people. If you email me at work I'll ignore you for 3 days. Ring me and I'll do it ASAP

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Our friend has certainly been busy on Trustpilot. Apparently he has changed locales as well. 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/users/5a2abb4a0000ff000aee4b04

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom