What is the difference between an Alto classical and a 1/2 size classical?

Is it just the quality and price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32746
    Pretty much. An alto guitar is designed to be tuned higher, usually to G or A I think, whereas a 1/2-size is meant for children and tuned normally... which results in floppy strings and a too-high action to try to stop them rattling, even if the quality of the guitar is OK - which it mostly isn't. The quality of average half-size kids' classicals is appalling, much worse than equivalent 3/4 sizes ones usually. But if you can find a half-decent one and tune it up higher it should be OK.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 4202
    edited January 15
    ICBM said:
    Pretty much. An alto guitar is designed to be tuned higher, usually to G or A I think, whereas a 1/2-size is meant for children and tuned normally... which results in floppy strings and a too-high action to try to stop them rattling, even if the quality of the guitar is OK - which it mostly isn't. The quality of average half-size kids' classicals is appalling, much worse than equivalent 3/4 sizes ones usually. But if you can find a half-decent one and tune it up higher it should be OK.


    I have an Alto guitar already, but just wondered about why people would not use 1/2 guitars instead
    Mine is an Aria AC85A, pretty good quality. Alto tuning is B-B

    When I bought it, it was fitted with Requinto strings, tuned G-G (Requinto should be A-A)
    It sounds very good

    Back in the 80s my first decent classical was a 3/4 spanish made I bought from Forsythes in Manchester. It was quite good for the money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32746
    ToneControl said:

    I have an Alto guitar already, but just wondered about why people would not use 1/2 guitars instead
    Mine is an Aria AC85A, pretty good quality.
    I work for a mail-order company, and one of the things we sell are typical Chinese-made half-size classicals...

    They're shit :). Even the 3/4-size ones aren't great in the standard model, although the 'deluxe' model - which is not actually that much more expensive - is pretty nice.

    What's the neck like on yours? A 1/2-size generally has a very narrow neck (for small hands) too.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 4202
    ICBM said:


    What's the neck like on yours? A 1/2-size generally has a very narrow neck (for small hands) too.
    standard classical nut width

    bloody top B was snapped when I just went to it. Strangely, the Daddario alto set has the top string at almost double the tension of the other strings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.