What is the difference between an Alto classical and a 1/2 size classical?

Is it just the quality and price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Pretty much. An alto guitar is designed to be tuned higher, usually to G or A I think, whereas a 1/2-size is meant for children and tuned normally... which results in floppy strings and a too-high action to try to stop them rattling, even if the quality of the guitar is OK - which it mostly isn't. The quality of average half-size kids' classicals is appalling, much worse than equivalent 3/4 sizes ones usually. But if you can find a half-decent one and tune it up higher it should be OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    Pretty much. An alto guitar is designed to be tuned higher, usually to G or A I think, whereas a 1/2-size is meant for children and tuned normally... which results in floppy strings and a too-high action to try to stop them rattling, even if the quality of the guitar is OK - which it mostly isn't. The quality of average half-size kids' classicals is appalling, much worse than equivalent 3/4 sizes ones usually. But if you can find a half-decent one and tune it up higher it should be OK.

I have an Alto guitar already, but just wondered about why people would not use 1/2 guitars instead
    Mine is an Aria AC85A, pretty good quality. Alto tuning is B-B

When I bought it, it was fitted with Requinto strings, tuned G-G (Requinto should be A-A)
    It sounds very good

Back in the 80s my first decent classical was a 3/4 spanish made I bought from Forsythes in Manchester. It was quite good for the money
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    ToneControl said:

I have an Alto guitar already, but just wondered about why people would not use 1/2 guitars instead
    Mine is an Aria AC85A, pretty good quality.
    I work for a mail-order company, and one of the things we sell are typical Chinese-made half-size classicals...

They're shit :). Even the 3/4-size ones aren't great in the standard model, although the 'deluxe' model - which is not actually that much more expensive - is pretty nice.

What's the neck like on yours? A 1/2-size generally has a very narrow neck (for small hands) too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    ICBM said:

What's the neck like on yours? A 1/2-size generally has a very narrow neck (for small hands) too.
    standard classical nut width

bloody top B was snapped when I just went to it. Strangely, the Daddario alto set has the top string at almost double the tension of the other strings