String gauge for acoustic

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
edited January 2018 in Acoustics
Yeah, that old chestnut.

I have a dreadnought which is usually strung with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ16 12-53. I'm all out of strings and need to change them so anything to be gained by trying a heavier gauge e.g. 12-56 or 13-56?
The heavier bottom may add body resonance but is it going to be stiffer to play? 

EDIT: I should add that I'm 50/50 between pick and fingerpicking. I'm a pretty heavy strummer with a pick. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I use 13-56 on my Dreadnought and resonator.

The extra tension is great on the resonator as it’s primarily used for slide I’m open tunings - on the Dreadnought I tune down a full step and use a capo. I often use open tunings on that guitar as well - big strings tend down-tune well.

13-56 in standard tuning at concert pitch are bloody hard work....
  • DiscoStu said:
    Yeah, that old chestnut.

I have a dreadnought which is usually strung with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ16 12-53. I'm all out of strings and need to change them so anything to be gained by trying a heavier gauge e.g. 12-56 or 13-56?
    The heavier bottom may add body resonance but is it going to be stiffer to play? 
    I presume the dread is full scale not short scale like a Gibson?  13-56 could be tough on the fingers for full scale at concert pitch.

For concert pitch I like 12-54 strings.  A few companies make those string sets, eg Newtone.
  • Yes it will be stiffer. You’re likely to need to tweak the truss rod.

Depending on the construction of your guitar it might not sound much better.

It should be fine to try it but personally I would stick with the 12s as they’re generally thick enough, for my tastes anyway.

What pick are you using? As a general rule thinner picks give less low end than thicker picks on acoustic, and the tone of the pick is a bigger factor on an acoustic guitar than an electric one. Cheap to try 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
    I use 13-56 on my Dreadnought and resonator.

The extra tension is great on the resonator as it’s primarily used for slide I’m open tunings - on the Dreadnought I tune down a full step and use a capo. I often use open tunings on that guitar as well - big strings tend down-tune well.

13-56 in standard tuning at concert pitch are bloody hard work....
    This is what I suspected... I'm usually in standard tuning,  sometimes drop D.
  • Just seen you edited your post.

If you’re a heavy strummer check you’re not strumming too hard. There’s a point on some acoustics where strumming any harder will choke the tone a little. Again a dread is usually constructed to be ok with a bit of a battering but it’s worth considering factors in how you play it because getting the best sound out an acoustic is IMO more strongly tied to the playing than an electric (because other factors come into play with the rest of the signal chain there).
    edited January 2018
    @guitarfishbay I'm self taught and learned on an electric by playing thrash so yeah, I've got a bit of 'attack'!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited January 2018
    DiscoStu said:
    @guitarfishbay I'm self taught and learned on an electric by playing thrash so yeah, I've got a bit of 'attack'!
    Hah yeah I’m a natural heavy picker as well, grew up on all kinds of fast metal rhythm playing, pick a bit like a gorilla if I don’t rein it in!

I use the orange Dunlop Tortex 60mm picks for everything these days. I used to use the green or yellow ones in the past, mostly for electric.
    Any suggestions for picks to suit acoustic or electric welcome. 
  • Pretty much what I use for acoustic most of the time too.

I also like Dunlop nylons for picked lines, the .73 and .88 are decent all rounders. Though I’ll use even thicker if there’s no strumming as that can give a nice solid tone that’s not too bright.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    DiscoStu said:
    Yeah, that old chestnut.

I have a dreadnought which is usually strung with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ16 12-53.

EDIT: I should add that I'm 50/50 between pick and fingerpicking. I'm a pretty heavy strummer with a pick. 
    hey Stu - WHY are you a heavy strummer ?
    Dreads are known to be good for strumming rhythm because they're big and loud - a set of 12's or 13's should do the trick.
    Strumming is ONE of the techniques of the guitarist which needs to be learned and mastered for best use / effect.
    Maybe ya'r gonna 'need a bigger guitar' =)

• LewyLewy Frets: 4170
    edited January 2018
    In very broad terms, stepping up from lights (.012-.053/54) to mediums (.013-.056) will give you more acoustic volume. You will potentially lose some sustain, and some guitars sound a bit less lively with mediums on, even though they may be louder. It brings out more bass in some guitars but I’ve definitely experienced guitars that gave forth more pleasing bass with lights. 

It’s cheap enough to try. You’re using EJ16s now....stick on a set of EJ17s and then you’ll know, and the difference will be a fair reflection of the change in gauge without the additional complication of a change in maker, composition etc.

It will be stiffer to play, but if you like the change in sound, then there is a lot that can be done with set up to restore playability. There are enough YouTube videos of little kids and arthritic old men flat out ripping on medium-strung dreads as evidence that mediums need not be prohibively tough.

My main guitars - a dread and an OM - both have mediums and play very easily. The key is in how they are set up. The OM sounds better with slightly lower tension mediums (DR Rare) so that might be another avenue to explore after your initial experiment.

Yeah, I'm curious to try the higher gauge but also like the sound of lower tension and have been looking at the Newtone Masterclass PB 12-54.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited January 2018
    DiscoStu said:
    Yeah, I'm curious to try the higher gauge but also like the sound of lower tension and have been looking at the Newtone Masterclass PB 12-54.
    DS, Newt MC's are NOT 'lower tension' - they MAY feel slightly more 'flexible' which some confuse with less tension, this flexibility comes from they're core wire being round as opposed to the more common Hex c/w used.
    If you want a real low tension (quality) string go for DR Rares - I use their 13-56. DR achieve the reduced tension by using a smaller diameter core wire - obviously this ONLY applys to the wound strings B) .
    I use both Newt M/C's and DR Rares 13-56 but have 'well developed' hands / fingers which makes tension a moot issue, I just like the sound and feel of both.