To Kemper or not to Kemper

What's Hot
Wilson94Wilson94 Frets: 44
Been looking around at a new amp upgrade and I’m starting to get puzzled. Been looking at a Friedman PT20 originally and from what I have heard it sounds great but for the price it got me thinking, is it really worth that much for essentially one sound. Then I started thinking about Kempers again.

Wondering if Kemper owners/users could give me the pro’s and cons? I’m not going to lie I am a bit purist and I think thats why I’m not completely satisfied with the idea of a kemper but for the reliabilty, variety of tones, size/weight it seems like the end goal for amps. Convince me to get one or not, want to hear what people who have owned one have to say. 

I’d be looking at the rack version I think, it’s a more convenient size. Does that come powered and non-powered as well? I’d probably want to play it mainly via a cab.

I’m not currently gigging and mostly play at home. I can’t play too loud at home because of housemates (another reason for a kemper). I have a bedroom studio with monitors, an interface etc

Hope the backgroud info helps. Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’d also only be able to get the rack/head for now, can’t afford the board at the same time and would be a purchase later
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I had one and it was great, but have gone back to just a basic one channel conventional amp.  For certain things, the Kemper would be fantastic, like if you need lots of different amp sounds you can easily switch between.  For what I've been playing for a while, I just use a clean sound with a bit of reverb and no effects, so great as these are, it was overkill for me.

But for things like headphone practice, direct in recording, great units!
  • richh said:
    I had one and it was great, but have gone back to just a basic one channel conventional amp.  For certain things, the Kemper would be fantastic, like if you need lots of different amp sounds you can easily switch between.  For what I've been playing for a while, I just use a clean sound with a bit of reverb and no effects, so great as these are, it was overkill for me.

But for things like headphone practice, direct in recording, great units!
    Think it will have to be a case of trying one out, think my valve purism is stopping me lol. I think mainly id just one a fender like clean, a bitey gain channel ala Jerry Cantrell sort of tone, and maybe a lighter hendrix type gain channel between clean and crunch.

Im considering a kemper too because im currently debating how I want my EP to be handled, was considering a studio near me. Whilst they know what they are doing, i could buy a kemper for the price of recording 5 songs with them with the mixing, mastering and whole shebang
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2371
    Based on what you’ve said, try and test one out with decent 3rd party profiles first (MBritt are a safe bet). For a sound through headphones and your DAW you’ll have no issues, but for some they miss the ‘amp in the room’ feel / an amp pushing air. 

Personally, mine is the best guitar related purchase I’ve made :)

The rack can be had powered too. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited January 2018
    I love mine ( a lot!)

But the big pull of mine is that I would binge on John Mayer one day, then Slash the next, then Muse, then Jimmy Eat World etc.. etc...  Pedals couldn't keep up.  Now I've got the Kemper I can play so many more styles with suited amps.

Sound wise I can't tell it apart, but!!  It doesn't sound like your amp in a room to me, it sounds like your amp in a tracking room being played back loudly (although I haven't used it through a cab, so that is probably why.)  Ignore tone critics on YouTube, audio is so shitty and people still insist on feeling pure about tone.

I don't have the remote yet, but would if funds allowed/one came up.  But it sits racked on my desk so it is hand enough for recording.

Any more questions ask away

Edit: Also, I have kids so coulnd't play loud at home, it was another big selling factor for me

• I had the most pleasure playing my Kemper through headphones. The stereo image helped and it sounded fabulous. When I tried to gig it I was never pleased with what I was hearing on stage, even though it was great FOH. May get another one day but at present the AX8 is doing a great job for me.
  • I love my Kemper! Just remember that if you go the FRFR route it won’t be the same as a traditional amp, it’s the sound of an amp that’s micd.

That being said it can sound great with a traditional cab too if you find some decent direct profiles. 

Also I recently made a direct profile of a Mesa Roadster and it was amazingly close through the same cabinet. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1782
    I think at this point its not if the Kemper can sound good enough as the jury is pretty much in on that and loads of people have failed the blindfold test. Harder for some is the so-called feel factor but its a pretty responsive device especially with good profiles as said by the MBritt or the sample pack great place to start, I still think there are shed loads of dross or badly profiled amps on the exchange and you can spend forever auditioning them. 

Having had mine for a few years now I would not give it up, it get's 90% use for home studio and its brilliant for that. The few times its been out everyone has commented on how good it sounds. 

My current sort of argument with it is, as a lot of Kemer users do, you tend to switch around a lot because you can. But I find it sort of drives me to play more like my amp heroes. If I dial in the Soldano and a few bits and pieces out come the Gary Moore licks same with the Dumble I sort of default to those singing Larry Carlton sounds. MK1 Boogie oh lets knock out Santana. The thing is it will do all those classic tones in spades and it probably shows my lack of imagination or actually having the ability for once in my life to have really good examples of those tones. I have the Petrucci boogie patches for rock and harder stuff (not like I can play anything like Petrucci but its that vibe. 

Where as I have been using the Katana indoors a lot recently and without any fiddling, I just use the clean/crunch and brown and tend to be more myself playing what I feel and what works with the amp rather than what has become Kemper Multi personality disorder. 

It may be just me and a faze I am going through. 

All that said I would not be without 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    If you want that ‘amp in the room’ feel with Kemper, or any other modeller/profiler for that matter, then take a look at some of the GRFR speakers. Red Sound RS-LG12 or the Friedman offerings for example. I’ve got the Red Sound and it sounds great with the Kemper.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1269
    Love mine. Playing live and at home both got so much easier, always a great tone. Downsides? Lack of built in interface and no dual amp patches. I have a powerhead + remote.
  • I love mine and wouldn't be without it. I play it mainly through studio monitors, although it works fine with a guitar cab or powered monitors if you want to 'move some air'. I think the benefits speak for themselves, having access to pretty much any amp you can think of with a few clicks.

Drawbacks are, no USB interface, I think a basic 2in 2out interface should be built in and is an unusual omission. No USB-MIDI support, and the lack of a PC based editor. Having an editor would save wear and tear on the controls and make studio use a bit less of a pain in the arse.