Marshall Woes

What's Hot
I've just seen the thread sbout Marshall reliability and though tit was about time to see if anyone can help me with my DSL 50. Its has been working fine for a while, but one day I powered it up and got nothing but hum. Tried playing with the controls, channels, nothing made a difference. Today I took it apart to check the chassis etc and make sure wverything was seated correctly. After putting it bac together, I now get some guitar signal along with a lot of static noises/hum.

The amp loudly pops when you touch one of the valves. Might have they gone microphonic? Turning the volume wokring for the guitar signal, but makes the static noise really loud, turning it all the way down doesn't really do anything.

Video below if need be!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOvGs4cAvoU
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    It *might* be just a valve, but if it hummed with no signal before that there must be another fault as well.

I would certainly not just buy a new pair of valves and fit them without having the amp checked over - there are a couple of known faults with these that will kill a new set of valves very quickly.

These came out of a DSL100! Although obviously this isn't the fault you have.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm, looks like I'll have to find an amp guy near me in that case. I'm half tempted to try a new pair of el34s, they seem fine and they have been on the amp since I have owned it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom