Amazing live bands that are disappointing on record...

What's Hot
2

Comments

  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 776
    John Mayer. Never actually been to a gig, but his studio albums are so dull in comparison to the Live at the Nokia Theatre DVD. What a stonker.
    Yeah, he's much better live although I stopped seeing him when he stated playing arena's. First time I saw him there were only 150 people there. One of the best live mixes I've heard was his last gig at Manchester Uni.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 1735
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

    My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

    Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 1800
    I’ll get shot down in flames for this one... but AC/DC
    Unbelievable live - not so in the studio 


    I was going to get defensive about this, but I think you're largely right. The exceptions being the more loosely produced albums, like Stiff Upper Lip and Flick of the Switch.

    BiB is awesome of course, courtesy of Mr Lange.

    I like their studio albums, but really they are (or were) a live act.

    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 3709
    RobDavies said:
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

    My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

    Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    I’d agree with you on that to a certain extent, apart from Power Trip and a couple of other exceptions a lot of the modern thrash albums can be pretty dull. Compare them to the likes of S.O.D or Slayer and there’s a big difference, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 522
    Most of the good bands I saw at 2000 trees festival last year were disappointing when I got home and listened to their albums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 1735
    RobDavies said:
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

    My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

    Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    I’d agree with you on that to a certain extent, apart from Power Trip and a couple of other exceptions a lot of the modern thrash albums can be pretty dull. Compare them to the likes of S.O.D or Slayer and there’s a big difference, 
    Power Trip are the exception - can't wait to see them next week. Albeit for only half an hour.  :p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5190
    All the modern blues players. Philip Sayce, Matt Scofield etc, even our friend Joe B - have a fire fire in their belly live, but mostly unlistenable dullness when transferred to record.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 861
    Gassage said:
    Crowded House
    Squeeze
    You're having a giraffe - Crowded House are brilliant on record - Temple Of Low Men is a real hi-fi demo and Together Alone is utterly brilliant. Tim Finn's Before and After is another really good one to sit down and listen to.

    I've also got a CD of the Wembley concert I went to; they produced it on the fly - you ordered it on the way in and picked it up on the way out.

    Nick Seymour is one of the best bass players out there, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 861
    Strife were a band in the 70s - great live, but the album was lame.

    Machine Head and Lamb Of God were live experiences which didn't do so well on album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 7704
    Ted Nugent's studio albums were always amazingly flat in the 70s, but I think that's true of a lot of B-listers from that decade, leading to a great era for live albums. 

    I saw an unknown band at a a festival in Germany in the early 80s called The Waterboys, who were fantastic despite not playing music I'd normally go for, and when they broke through a few months later I was pretty disappointed with their records. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Bit of an old un,Ian Dury and The Blockheads.It didn’t really matter If you liked them or not they were great live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 4849
    Man. Terrific live band but their studio stuff is very flat and lacklustre. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 4558
    boogieman said:
    Man. Terrific live band but their studio stuff is very flat and lacklustre. 
    Man were typical of a lot of bands in that the setlist was a guide to performance at best. They didn't really do recitals. I don't know how many times I;ve heard them do "C'mon", for example, but the song went thorugh a lot of stages, having new bits tacked on to it that led Micky Jones to go off into new and quite brilliant territory.

    In that way they were like Deep Purple in the Mk2 days. Setlist the same, music different from one performance to the next as they stretched out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 4849
    scrumhalf said:
    boogieman said:
    Man. Terrific live band but their studio stuff is very flat and lacklustre. 
    Man were typical of a lot of bands in that the setlist was a guide to performance at best. They didn't really do recitals. I don't know how many times I;ve heard them do "C'mon", for example, but the song went thorugh a lot of stages, having new bits tacked on to it that led Micky Jones to go off into new and quite brilliant territory.

    In that way they were like Deep Purple in the Mk2 days. Setlist the same, music different from one performance to the next as they stretched out.
    Yup, they were great improvisers all right. Saw the original band (in their many forms!) lots of times too and don’t think I ever heard them play a song the same way twice.

    You seen Son of Man? Mickey’s son George on guitar. They’ve got some of the vibe of the original band and play a few of the old songs. They’re rather good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • richyleerichylee Frets: 6
    edited January 22
    I saw James bay as a support act a few years ago, the guy sounded incredible but his album just lacks that feel he had, feels like the album slips under as background music 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1562
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

    My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

    Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    I’d agree with you on that to a certain extent, apart from Power Trip and a couple of other exceptions a lot of the modern thrash albums can be pretty dull. Compare them to the likes of S.O.D or Slayer and there’s a big difference, 
    Power Trip are the exception - can't wait to see them next week. Albeit for only half an hour.  :p
    I'd say that Nekromatheon are the best modern thrashers although more intense and extreme than the modern crossover types.   What I've heard of Power Trip is pretty decent though. 

    Band like Evil Army and Midnight are great although they do one thing only.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 1735
    Reverend said:
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:
    I find a lot of the modern thrash bands are truly good fun live, but totally one dimensional on record.

    My lad likes Municipal Waste, Iron Reagan, Lost Society, Shrapnel and the like - I've seen most of these bands with him in the last couple of years and they're great live.  Really good entertainment but apart from the odd track that appears on a 'shuffle' playlist, I find them all really dull to listen to at home - same tempo's, no dynamics....etc
    Say what you like about what the eighties thrash bands did, and they might not be as technically proficient as these newer bands, but they could write entire albums that would keep the listener engaged throughout. 

    Either that, or I'm getting old.  
    I’d agree with you on that to a certain extent, apart from Power Trip and a couple of other exceptions a lot of the modern thrash albums can be pretty dull. Compare them to the likes of S.O.D or Slayer and there’s a big difference, 
    Power Trip are the exception - can't wait to see them next week. Albeit for only half an hour.  :p
    I'd say that Nekromatheon are the best modern thrashers although more intense and extreme than the modern crossover types.   What I've heard of Power Trip is pretty decent though. 

    Band like Evil Army and Midnight are great although they do one thing only.


    Cheers for the tip off....... Enjoying Nekromatheon right now.  Very, very old school but absolute quality.

    I can take or leave Evil Army and Midnight...

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 692
    Going thrash, some of the old school thrash was so poorly recorded that it can't help but be great live :)

    Was given the overkill album feel the fire by a mate ages ago, being told it was amazing.. really couldn't get into it. I liked later albums just not that.. Heard the songs live and they really blew me away. 

    Same with Destruction, albums are difficult to listen to, but seeing them live was amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1562
    LuttiS said:
    Going thrash, some of the old school thrash was so poorly recorded that it can't help but be great live :)

    Was given the overkill album feel the fire by a mate ages ago, being told it was amazing.. really couldn't get into it. I liked later albums just not that.. Heard the songs live and they really blew me away. 

    Same with Destruction, albums are difficult to listen to, but seeing them live was amazing.
    Old Destruction and Overkill albums sound great. New ones not so much. 

    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 692
    Reverend said:
    LuttiS said:
    Going thrash, some of the old school thrash was so poorly recorded that it can't help but be great live :)

    Was given the overkill album feel the fire by a mate ages ago, being told it was amazing.. really couldn't get into it. I liked later albums just not that.. Heard the songs live and they really blew me away. 

    Same with Destruction, albums are difficult to listen to, but seeing them live was amazing.
    Old Destruction and Overkill albums sound great. New ones not so much. 

    I just can't get into them :(  love the songs though..

    Still they sound better than Nitro's OFR album with his cardboard drums... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • How about Haim; I enjoyed their Glasto set on tv; a good four piece band with lot of energy and good tunes. However this is lost on their new album as it is ridiculously over produced with all sorts of cheesy 80’s synths, random bangs, bleeps and other noises; it’s unlistenable. A mix with just guitar, bass, piano drums and vocals would be so much better and make a decent album.
    Compare these two versions of Right Now, one a live studio take, the other the abum version. 

    https://youtu.be/z1LLWHroWgA

    https://youtu.be/qALvRCFNNpo


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MossMoss Frets: 2402
    How about Haim; I enjoyed their Glasto set on tv; a good four piece band with lot of energy and good tunes. However this is lost on their new album as it is ridiculously over produced with all sorts of cheesy 80’s synths, random bangs, bleeps and other noises; it’s unlistenable. A mix with just guitar, bass, piano drums and vocals would be so much better and make a decent album.
    Compare these two versions of Right Now, one a live studio take, the other the abum version. 

    https://youtu.be/z1LLWHroWgA

    https://youtu.be/qALvRCFNNpo


    I really love the first Haim album - it's perfectly produced pop

    I agree the new one goes way too far though
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I went to see a local-ish rock band on the weekend, Buffalo Summer. Old school rock in the vein of Aerosmith, Purple, Whitesnake etc. Electrifying performance; brilliant on stage and they sounded awesome. I bought one of their CDs and it wasn’t bad, but a lot of the tracks were samey and it just didn’t have the sparkle of their live sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 130
    Cheap Trick sounded bland in the Studio but rocked it out live my fav clip is this


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 1735
    Reverend said:
    LuttiS said:
    Going thrash, some of the old school thrash was so poorly recorded that it can't help but be great live :)

    Was given the overkill album feel the fire by a mate ages ago, being told it was amazing.. really couldn't get into it. I liked later albums just not that.. Heard the songs live and they really blew me away. 

    Same with Destruction, albums are difficult to listen to, but seeing them live was amazing.
    Old Destruction and Overkill albums sound great. New ones not so much. 

    All the bands sounded different, back then.   The new albums all sound exactly the same - generic and too perfect. 

    The last three Overkill albums have some decent tracks, but are completely spoiled by a hideous, over-processed drum sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1788

    One of my favourite bands is Machine Head, but I find it difficult to listen to a lot of their studio recorded stuff. Live, they are a fucking powerhouse, which is why I always go to see them if they are touring. Love it! In fact I will be going to see them for the **8 billionth time next month.


    **Possibly a slight exaggeration :)

    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 692
    Nikko said:

    One of my favourite bands is Machine Head, but I find it difficult to listen to a lot of their studio recorded stuff. Live, they are a fucking powerhouse, which is why I always go to see them if they are touring. Love it! In fact I will be going to see them for the **8 billionth time next month.


    **Possibly a slight exaggeration :)

    Jeeees @Nikko ... Told you a million times not to exaggerate! 


    ** I'll get me coat :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 1739
    I've probably banged on about James Taylor Quartet in the past, but if all you remember from them was the 'Starsky and Hutch' single - and you like your funk - get to a gig.

    Their records have always sounded flat to me, even the live ones.  But seeing them on stage is something else, in a room with a thousand or so they'll take the roof off the place. They feed off the audience I think, and the records will never reflect that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 37
    The allman brothers band and the grateful dead.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 4994
    I woud say Queen (proper lineup with Freddie...and pre Live Aid too) - however the studio albums were far from bad or boring 
    It's just that they were a different animal live - totally electrifying

    Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of Earvana nuts, BKP, Oil City And Monty's pickups. Sperzel, Tonepros, Gotoh and Graphtech too!
    Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.