NBD - Aluminium neck content

What's Hot
blobbblobb Frets: 2934
edited January 2018 in Bass

Always fancied one, was hard to turn this down.

Kramer Stagemaster Standard, these were the last of the Aluminium (ok spell checker, Aluminum - happy now?) neck Kramers. Some say the best of the bunch, I haven't tried the others but for the prices they fetch now I don't think I ever will.

Definitely one of those 'got something about it' guitars.

Neck dive ahoy.......

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2934
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Wood laminated on the back right? Nice clean look in white. How much do these go for? 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    See that there? That's my gob smacked.

Nice. I always fancied a bean, but at the prices they are these days, no way Jose 
    Wood laminated on the back right? Nice clean look in white. How much do these go for? 
    The actual neck is a kind of T shape. Fretboard on top of that, made from the same stuff they make bowling balls out of! The 'fillets' in the T are filled with wooden inlays to avoid frozen hand syndrome.

No truss rod so the board is rock solid. No bows in this one, or de-laminating of the inserts from the metal, which can be the two things to watch out for.

Zero fret, Schaller tuners.

A lot heavier than you would think for something made mostly of Aluminium.

Prices are a bit obscure. There is a mad following, mainly in the U.S., for Kramers in general - Alum necks more so. There is also a growing contingent of Aluminium enthusiasts who tend to look down on the Kramers a little. EGC's are their preference.

This is entry level (single pickup) but by the time they got to the Stagemasters they had got the most out of the neck process so these are good players.

See that there? That's my gob smacked.

Nice. I always fancied a bean, but at the prices they are these days, no way Jose 

Bean prices are astronomical for sure. Even the early Kramers in good nick are out of my league. I haggled this one with a couple of trades so it's achievable, and you don't see many about.

@blobb - I'm not convinced a bean would be worth it these days - way too expensive for what they are. 

You could get close to a pre-CBS Fender for Bean money these days which is ludicrous 

Yeah, and how much is a JD bass these days, eh? If we are talking about quality / price.

I'm not totally convinced that aluminium and six stringers go well together. Bass works though, there is a lovely metallic twang that you don't get on anything else. Quite unique.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    blobb said:

Yeah, and how much is a JD bass these days, eh? If we are talking about quality / price.

I'm not totally convinced that aluminium and six stringers go well together. Bass works though, there is a lovely metallic twang that you don't get on anything else. Quite unique.

It's a bit like Ampeg basses... or Ampeg B15s... 

Or the fact that an 11lb late 70s Precision boat anchor will cost you the thick end of £3k and sound properly average at best

...bet it doesn't burn hands like that metal neck though! Boy 'o' boy. It stays put...... you move. 

• Nice!

I'd love a Bean or Kramer but the finances are getting ridiculous now :( Enjoy!