Dotted 8th help TPS

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
edited January 2018 in FX

@ 4:50 thru 7:25  on the vid when he talks about the 1/4 note setting and the dotted 8th setting combined is he talking about 2 separate delays running together? or is this only the one delay running for this Floyd /Steven Wilson sound?

I guess another question would be is this demo at 4:50 tempo dependant....would the setting work for most tempos?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
    Anybuddy?
    tae be or not tae be
  • hootsmon said:
    Anybuddy?
    The video in the OP doesn't appear to be working at the moment.
    It's not a competition.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
    sorted vid....I think
    tae be or not tae be
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    It’s not very well explained. However, you can see on the gigrig thingy that when he has both delays on that switches 5 and 7 are glowing red whereas it’s one or the other before. 
    But it is two delays running - the overall  tempo set by the Ibanez and then the Strymon tap tempoed in on a 1/4 note setting.
    As I see it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited January 2018
    It’s not very well explained. However, you can see on the gigrig thingy that when he has both delays on that switches 5 and 7 are glowing red whereas it’s one or the other before. 
    But it is two delays running - the overall  tempo set by the Ibanez and then the Strymon tap tempoed in on a 1/4 note setting.
    As I see it. 
    Yes I found it unclear. I think he might be using two separate delay pedals, unless you can get two separate delay settings from one pedal.

Regarding your other question. For the rhythmic effect he's creating, you'd have to sync your playing tempo to the delay tempo (or vice versa).
    It's not a competition.
    Easiest would be to have a pedal that can run two delays at once ( one set to 1/4 and one to 1/8) with a universal tap tempo. Whilst that’s probably possible in something like a Helix I’m not sure what stand alone pedal. The tc Triple Delay, IIRC, doesn’t have universal tap ( I remember because I remember Drew having a melt down of sorts over this, although it is probably possible through MIDI). 
  • For this video he's using two different delays, but there are plenty of pedals that can produce two separate delays- TC Flashback is probably the smallest, cheapest way to do it.

If you're using two pedals, (or one unit that's tweakable enough to change these things) it makes a difference whether the delays are in series or parallel, and if they're in series it makes a difference whether the 1/4 note or the dotted 1/8 is first in the chain, since the second delay pedal will "hear" both your dry signal and the repeats from the first delay. 

The way they're using it with the fuzz at 6:49-7:14 (and after that when Mick has a go) isn't really tempo-dependent, but for the U2-ey stuff Dan plays at 5:15-5:35 it does need to be synchronized to the tempo you're playing at- that's when it helps to have a single pedal producing both delays, since tapping in the right tempo on two different ones is going to be a pain unless you're able to use MIDI clock or something...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited January 2018
    Easiest would be to have a pedal that can run two delays at once ( one set to 1/4 and one to 1/8) with a universal tap tempo. Whilst that’s probably possible in something like a Helix I’m not sure what stand alone pedal. The tc Triple Delay, IIRC, doesn’t have universal tap ( I remember because I remember Drew having a melt down of sorts over this, although it is probably possible through MIDI). 

I think (although I might be wrong) that Drew's problem was not that the tap tempo didn't work on all the delay lines at once (which would be crap), but that it didn't have "global" tap tempo- which is when you tap in a tempo on one preset, and that tempo carries over to any other preset you select until you tap in a different one. 

He (and I) also got upset about delay pedals that didn't let you tap in a tempo while the pedal was in bypass.

EDIT: necro-stalked Drew- it *was* global tempo on the Triple Delay that he was pissed off about.

I think (although I might be wrong) that Drew's problem was not that the tap tempo didn't work on all the delay lines at once (which would be crap), but that it didn't have "global" tap tempo- which is when you tap in a tempo on one preset, and that tempo carries over to any other preset you select until you tap in a different one. 

He (and I) also got upset about delay pedals that didn't let you tap in a tempo while the pedal was in bypass.

EDIT: necro-stalked Drew- it *was* global tempo on the Triple Delay that he was pissed off about.
    Global was the word I was searching for :anguished: 
    So if on the Triple Delay you had two presets on ( one set to 1/8ths and one set to 1/4rs) and used the tap tempo it would set both presets in time with each other? You just couldn't do it before you turned the presets on or bring in a third preset without having to retap. 
  • I wonder if the zoom cdr can do that

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• I wonder if the zoom cdr can do that
    If you want your delays in series and not parallel, yes it can.

• Is dotted 8ths the Andy Timmons delay?  The TC Flashback can do it - 

"If you set the subdivision switch to the bottom position and have the Delay time knob point right between the "D" and "e" on "Delay", you'll get a dual delay with 500ms and 375ms."

The words of Tore from TC himself.  
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Is dotted 8ths the Andy Timmons delay?  The TC Flashback can do it - 

"If you set the subdivision switch to the bottom position and have the Delay time knob point right between the "D" and "e" on "Delay", you'll get a dual delay with 500ms and 375ms."

The words of Tore from TC himself.  
    works - have this in my loop on x4 atm ..