NAD - DSL15C

minefieldsminefields Frets: 14
edited January 2018 in Amps
Trying to post more stuff on the forum so here goes,

If I spent as much time playing as browsing ebay and other sites looking for guitar stuff, I would actually be a half decent player

Browsing Ebay and this DSL15c pops up not far from me at all and no bids. End up winning it as the only bidder for the sum of £171.

Considering the  speaker has been upgraded to a Celestion G12m Greenback and I think a few or all of the tubes have been changed too.

This amp sounds great but there is way too much gain on the "ultra gain" channel, anything over the about 3 or 4 it starts getting out of hand. Not really enough on the "classic gain" channel for what I would like though lol.

Reading on some forums it looks like there are some mods I can do to reduce the gain, adding a resistor to an empty space and also clipping a few of the caps.

Has anyone else had a DSL15 and done any mods to it to reduce the gain?.

Thanks and onto the pics, hopefully I have got it right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

Nice snag...I like the DSLs....I have it's big brother the DSL40C and very happy with it. Seems a lot of talk that I would like it even better with a speaker upgrade to a creamback (it has the 70/80) but I use it on green channel and let a rack FX do any gain or whatever. I liked the demos I watched of the DSL15. But not playing much so the speaker upgrade can wait

Maybe it is the extra power....but I can get nice gain sounds driving only the normal channel & rarely ever go into the red channel

See what tubes you have, maybe you can change that gain with different tubes. Sure someone on here will have some ideas. 15W should be more than enough to get very nice dirty tones without going too brutal

Have you experimented with using the low power setting at higher volumes against full power tones. I've found I can get a sweet spot on mine at the lower power setting that is hard to find on full power without going crazy loud

Sorry, no experience on the amp mods potential

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72316

You need to move the speaker cable out of the frame, if you haven't done already - if it touches the back of the cone it will make a horrible noise like a blown speaker :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nice, I'm after a DSL after years with a MG, I liked the DSL5c but they stopped making them or shipping them to retailers so I'm forced to wait til the new ones come out.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    @ICBM well spotted sir !
  • ICBM said:
    You need to move the speaker cable out of the frame, if you haven't done already - if it touches the back of the cone it will make a horrible noise like a blown speaker :).
    Thanks for the heads up, I have now moved the cable so that it can't touch the cone, I just pulled it tighter so the slack is now out of the way.

@bazxkr  I have found the green channel doesn't get very dirty at all, although I haven't put the volume onto 10 yet, so may have to try that. The green channel is a really nice clean though so I will use that with pedals and the red for the dirt.