What OD would you put onto this board?

GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
edited January 2018 in FX
I’ve started building a pedalboard that currently contains the following pedals:

Fairfield Circuitry Accountant -> ThorpyFX Peacekeeper -> RAT -> Strymon El Capistan -> Boss RV500 -> Ditto X4

i like the RAT, but I only find it usable within quite a narrow range - I don’t like it so much for the occasional times I want to give it some welly.

What would you swap the RAT for then? The majority of the time, I like a more bluesy, mellow overdrive, but occasionally like to ramp things up, but not for long.

What OD/distortion can do this? Not really got a budget in mind, but I’d prefer something in-keeping with the other pedals.

I can’t be arsed traipsing around to many shops to try things out, so I’m mainly going on recommendations and online reviews.

On the list so far, are:

Nobels ODR1
Ryra Klone 
Fulltone OCD
DOD Looking Glass
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    ODR1- full and smooth, fattens up bridge single coils and stacks well.

Klone - mid hump means it works well into mid scooped amps, boost is more linear. 

Ocd - like a TS with a flatter frequency range and grittier

Not tried the DOD

I'd get the ODR & stack a TS style into it or pony up and buy a Thorpy Gunshot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    what amp you using - target sound or artist nearest to it - guitar(s) in use ? 
  • JMP220478 said:
    what amp you using - target sound or artist nearest to it - guitar(s) in use ? 
    Blackstar HT20 head and cab with speaker changed to Vintage 30 and tubes all changed to Tung Sol.

Really only need to use my PRS Bernie Marsden, so I’ve a Gretsch of some sort and a Tokai about to go on the chopping block.

I like playing classic rock style stuff, so Gary Moore, Warren Haynes-ish mainly, although I sometimes like messing around with ambient, Floyd type stuff (I mainly use a Boss GT100 when this mood takes me) but the heaviest I will ever go is Iron Maiden. Yesterday, I relived my youth and was doing some Malmsteen though! Anything heavy is usually short lived, but when I want to do it, I want to do it well.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Boss bd2 and sd1 worth a look. Jrad guthrie trapp od. Ehx soulfood.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Way Huge Fat Sandwich if you want to ramp things up a notch. Nice dynamic aggressive distortion.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26980
    Selah Feather Drive. A bit more Marshall-flavoured than a Rat, but in a good way.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    OCD is not related to the TS. 
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    Boss BD2 maybe
    pedal fiend
  • Went with a DOD Looking Glass. Had a quick noodle this morning, sounds pretty good just twiddling the knobs randomly. I’ll sit down with it later and have a good run with it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2018
    rico said:
    OCD is not related to the TS. 
    I'm with you on this re:the OCD and won't stacking an ODR and TS is give you one helluva mid-hump?

If you want low gain, I'd look at a Way Huge Pork Loin, Liquid Sunshine or anything like that OR add a TC Spark or Wampler Tumnus