Life time warranties - seems Kyser are awesome

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited January 2018 in Guitar
I'm always sceptical about these claims on guitar leads and other items. Anyway my Kyser Quick change capo spring just snapped, so I'm off to put it to the test. 

EDIT: They are sending me a new one. Very cool. My Kappo was at least 15 years old!!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    let me know how this pans out - I've been led to believe that some life time warranties are not about the lifetime of the buyer, it is the life time of the product - so wants it doesn't work it is dead

Yet I've known in this trade for example, every time I've had to replace a Planet Wave cable, I've given the customer a new lead and D'addario have given me a new lead in return - Of course it has to come back in acceptable condition - Not towed a car or the dogs has chewed - Abuse it and you loose it - Look after it and they will honour the warranty

update us accordingly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Planet Waves cables - lifetime warranty

Pretty much every other cable I’ve bought - no idea, have never had to use the warranty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I like the clever weasel words of the Limited Lifetime Warranty, which means the product is guaranteed to have a short lifespan.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Halfords have always honoured the lifetime warranties on their tools- provided you have the receipt.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I'm expecting to be told that this is expected wear and tear. I don't have a receipt as I bought the capo in 2002. It's done well. But I'm interested in the warranty... before I buy another!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    This made me think about what warranty vibes with my upcoming les Paul purchase but then I realised that since I'll be changing the tuners, pickups and electronics and probably cutting the nut, it'd be void anyway.

But, for interest's sake, does anyone know what kind of warranty people in the uk get when buying a les Paul from am authorised Gibson dealer?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Most cables seem to come with a lifetime warranty.

I've only had one fail but it was replaced without a problem. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    A lot of guitars come with a lifetime warranty...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I wonder what the average period of of time is that a new guitar stays with it's first owner?
    impmann said:
    I wonder what the average period of of time is that a new guitar stays with it's first owner?
    I wonder how many people know that there is a limited lifetime warranty on their Fender, PRS or Gibson guitars... or who actually claim on it... successfully?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    impmann said:
    I wonder how many people know that there is a limited lifetime warranty on their Fender, PRS or Gibson guitars... or who actually claim on it... successfully?
    How many claims are actually needed ? - how many times have you had a pick up pack in - or a machine head stop working - It doesn't cover all aspects of the guitar - ie finish fading, lacquer checking, perishables so no life time on the switch, jack socket, pot, frets - A small claim within 12 months or so after purchase, regarding a simple issue that can generally be solved in store is one issue - But trying to get a new switch replaced under warranty, 10 years after purchase and played on a regular basis and it won't be covered

can't comment on Gibson as I've not sold new models for over 15 years - But on the rare occasion I've had to make a warranty claim on a new USA PRS and Custom Shop Guitar I've been successful - Can't recall a negative claim on a valid repair - But such claims are rare anyway
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited January 2018
    I tried an Epiphone Warranty once with Andertons, and SURPRISE SURPRISE, it wasn't covered, and it wasn't in any way damaged btw.
    I had my schecter fixed under warranty, the pickup switch stopped working 1 month after I bought it (from new). Still a shit guitar though. Took them months to fix it.
    impmann said:
    impmann said:
    How many claims are actually needed ? - how many times have you had a pick up pack in - or a machine head stop working - It doesn't cover all aspects of the guitar - ie finish fading, lacquer checking, perishables so no life time on the switch, jack socket, pot, frets - A small claim within 12 months or so after purchase, regarding a simple issue that can generally be solved in store is one issue - But trying to get a new switch replaced under warranty, 10 years after purchase and played on a regular basis and it won't be covered

can't comment on Gibson as I've not sold new models for over 15 years - But on the rare occasion I've had to make a warranty claim on a new USA PRS and Custom Shop Guitar I've been successful - Can't recall a negative claim on a valid repair - But such claims are rare anyway
    Absolutely... however, finish adhesion *is*. And how many people have gone back to Fender with their 1980s US Standards to claim that the finish was substandard? And before anyone tries to defend that - Fender KNOW its substandard and issued replacement necks under 12 month warranty for chipping/cracking of the finish on maple necks... If you are the original owner and have the original receipt - plus can prove that the guitar has been used appropriately during your ownership...

Ditto neck warping. Or defective truss rod/truss rod breakage/stripping (that is not the fault of the user). Again rare but it happens.

You mention frets - thats not strictly true. Fret *wear* is outside of that but a fret that has not stayed seated would be, as that is a manufacturing fault.

From experience of working with brands that offer similar lifetime warranties - very few people are even aware of the existence of such warranties. Those rare occurances of claims on older instruments tend to be people trying it on... such as the chap who sent a guitar in for inspection with a 'defective neck' (shop terminology), who had performed his own "set up" job on it using a nail file or similar on the frets and had wrecked them, it had the truss rod pulled so tight that I was worried it was going so bend the neck permanently and a load of other ill advised 'adjustments' that had generally ballsed up the playability of the guitar. Unsurprisingly, the claim was not upheld...

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I've seen comments (Can't remember where) that "lifetime warranty" can't possibly refer to the life time of the buyer, that would be too long.
    Yet it's meaningless if it refers to the lifetime of the item.
    Companies that honour such things do themselves immense good in PR terms, in my opinion.
    People shouldn't take the P but it's nice to look after your customers.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    thegummy said:
    This made me think about what warranty vibes with my upcoming les Paul purchase but then I realised that since I'll be changing the tuners, pickups and electronics and probably cutting the nut, it'd be void anyway.

But, for interest's sake, does anyone know what kind of warranty people in the uk get when buying a les Paul from am authorised Gibson dealer?
    Once you've changed the strings you've voided the warranty. You've modified the guitar with non-standard equipment.
  • Warranty isn't a guarantee and the wording tends to be "against faulty manufacture" so it is wide open to interpretation of customer expectations against good business practice.

I do know of someone who got Martin to pay for a neck reset after 22 years but I think that was just to shut her up!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    A lifetime warranty lasts until the product stops working or dies and then it's out of warranty because it's beyond it's natural lifespan.

This begs the question, did it die from faulty manufacture or natural causes? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    To bump this - they are sending me a new one under warranty. that's extremely good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now *that* is service above and beyond... nice one!