Around Charing Cross Road and Denmark Street

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
     Not been up there for years.  Is that it now?

I always used to have a wander about Denmark St before seeing bands at The Marquee, Astoria or LA2.... but they're all long gone, so I never get the chance now. 

Progress, I think they call it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited January 2018
    RobDavies said:
     Not been up there for years.  Is that it now?

I always used to have a wander about Denmark St before seeing bands at The Marquee, Astoria or LA2.... but they're all long gone, so I never get the chance now. 

Progress, I think they call it. 
    No, there are a few more music stores. I took several pictures of the other shops but strangely they are not on the camera's memory card.

When I walked along Denmark Street all the way up to Hanks, there seemed to be more people in the cafe at the end of the street than in the stores!!! 

Sad about the Astoria. . . I saw one of my favourite bands, Y&T, there.

• I walked past there a few weeks ago, standing outside where the Astoria used to be. The back of the Denmark Street shops had been demolished (on the side where Andy's is. :/
  • Wunjo's is on the corner now!?
    I haven't been there in weeks.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    Loved that street back in the late 80's...bought my first US Tele there. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I've bought almost all my guitars there, but I do only live a 15 minute walk away.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I used to walk down Denmark St and Charing Cross Rd for a drool over the guitar shops. Used to be a little place in Manette St too that had the odd decent guitar and some good s/h gear. Last time I went that way it was a pretty sad sight, virtually everything’s gone. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Was nearby before Christmas but it was late evening and the shops would have been closed. I’ll have to go up and have a look around...it’s been a while since I went in those shops tbh.  Think there is still a really good pizza place around there as well...Franco Manca.

GuitarGuitar in Camden is my most local go-to shop now.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    rocktron said:

Saturday 13th January 2018

I don’t know how you play this thing if you are not a contortionist or Michael Angelo Bateo

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/P1040245_zpsdrekzrtq.jpg

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    My Dad used to take me to visit Denmark Street when I was a kid..... It was awesome to a twelve year old with a passion for guitars.... the fact that my Dad had a subscription to International Musician magazine at that time seemed cool, too.

Chappels of Bond St used to be my favourite place though.... No idea why as I hardly remember it? Anyone else ever go there in the early eighties?
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    edited January 2018
    Six necks and not a single Bigby on any of them 

Fail.