Fender American Original Series

What's Hot

Comments

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited January 2018
    Octafish said:
    MattFGBI said:
    The pickguards etc are all made in the US factory in Corona on the same machines that have been used for decades. 

The finish on these is nitro but not the same as the previous American Vintage. 
    @MattFGBI Ok sorry, some misinformation on my part about the plastics, all the other bits I mentioned are still Taiwanese though? Do you know what brand the tuners are, Gotoh?

What's changed about the finish on the new models and do you know what the issue was with the paint on the AV models? I was really interested in an AV model when they came out, great looks, specs etc, but then I started hearing about (and witnessed first hand) the paint flake. I'm not into relic and could not counter splashing out a load of money on something with a failing paint job.
    The finish on the Original has a different undercoat to the Vintage. 

I don't know about Taiwanese parts.  Last time I visited the factory they were stamping everything out there from sheets of metal.... I have a picture somewhere. 

Edit... found the picture: 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
    The first of these have landed at dealers in the US. The 50's Strat has a chunky neck that many might not like. .91 at the first fret to 1.00 at the 12th. Least the weights looked okay in the 7lb range. Although the first Tele I saw was 8.5lbs which is too much for my liking in a Tele.
     https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/V1741924/american-original-50s-stratocaster/?cat_id=32

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/V1744681/american-original-50s-stratocaster-2/?cat_id=32

So nice to see the grain showing back through on the Tele's

https://eddiesguitars.com/electric-guitars/electric-guitar-brands/fender-electric-guitars/fender-american-original-50s-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    MattFGBI said:
    Octafish said:
    MattFGBI said:
    The pickguards etc are all made in the US factory in Corona on the same machines that have been used for decades. 

The finish on these is nitro but not the same as the previous American Vintage. 
    @MattFGBI Ok sorry, some misinformation on my part about the plastics, all the other bits I mentioned are still Taiwanese though? Do you know what brand the tuners are, Gotoh?

What's changed about the finish on the new models and do you know what the issue was with the paint on the AV models? I was really interested in an AV model when they came out, great looks, specs etc, but then I started hearing about (and witnessed first hand) the paint flake. I'm not into relic and could not counter splashing out a load of money on something with a failing paint job.
    The finish on the Original has a different undercoat to the Vintage. 

I don't know about Taiwanese parts.  Last time I visited the factory they were stamping everything out there from sheets of metal.... I have a picture somewhere. 

Edit... found the picture: 

Ah ok, pic not showing - photobucket issue?

I got the Tawinese parts bit from the fact that all CTS pots are made in Taiwan these days and when I've bought genuine Fender spare parts the pots had 'Made in Taiwan' on them as did the vintage saddles I bought, although the bridge plate has 'Made in USA'. I've not actually got a big issue with parts made in Taiwan, just the issue that some seem to think US Fenders are all entrirely made out of US bits that are far superior to Mexican Fenders.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22712
    Strat54 said:
    The first of these have landed at dealers in the US. The 50's Strat has a chunky neck that many might not like. .91 at the first fret to 1.00 at the 12th.

Sounds like the custom shop 10/56 profile, but perhaps a tiny bit fatter - less hand sanding? 

And the '60s profile looks to be similar to the '65 C or maybe '59 Large C.

All sounds great to me!  I'm not looking to buy anything, but the more I read about these the more appealing they get!

• DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    Had ours today, randomly picked out a 50's Tele , 60's Tele, Jazzmaster and 60's Strat in the warehouse and I must say I'm very impressed, I much prefer them to the old Vintage Series, they felt great straight out of the box...definitely worth checking out at your local store
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    The first of these have landed at dealers in the US. The 50's Strat has a chunky neck that many might not like. .91 at the first fret to 1.00 at the 12th. 
    that is akin to the early 50's  U profile Nocaster neck you'll find on a Nocaster and 54/56 era Strat - you don't get many bigger necks on a Strat than this, certainly around the 12th fret - some might start around .910/.930" at the 1st fret  - this info is based on Custom Shop models I have sold
    The depth is okay, but it all depends on the chunkiness of the shoulders for me. Some of those Nocasters were very bulky, the 60th '54 Strats seemed less so. Its much bigger than the 10/56 V too as they are around .88.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22712
    Strat54 said:
    The depth is okay, but it all depends on the chunkiness of the shoulders for me. Some of those Nocasters were very bulky, the 60th '54 Strats seemed less so. Its much bigger than the 10/56 V too as they are around .88.
    0.90 or 0.91 at the first fret is only a gnat's more than 0.88, and they describe it as a "Soft V".  I still reckon it's a 10/56, near as dammit.
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:
    0.90 or 0.91 at the first fret is only a gnat's more than 0.88, and they describe it as a "Soft V".  I still reckon it's a 10/56, near as dammit.
    Gnats it maybe but the difference is still quite noticeable to the hand. Its not a 10/56 whatever you think, these are not .90 or .91 at the 1st fret. The official figure from Fender for a 10/56 is .88 to .98

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/47/cc/e347cc5dc1daf1a833b5e442564ec2c5.jpg
  • Strat54 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:
    Gnats it maybe but the difference is still quite noticeable to the hand. Its not a 10/56 whatever you think, these are not .90 or .91 at the 1st fret. The official figure from Fender for a 10/56 is .88 to .98

Ahh... the perfect profile!
  • I feel like the 60's is a bit similar to the John Mayer Strat, except the big dippers of course. For years, AVRI's with 9.5 radius were offered from Wildwood and Dave's Music, unfortunately it's really hard to find these. It's a bit of a let down that they left out the period specific appointments, but the change is positive overall. Wish these came out earlier, I'd have taken a thick C over a D shape in a heartbeat. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    The 60s tele sounds and looks really good:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That LPB tele really is something, very classy. I like the 60's strat too, the transitional Fender decal is a nice touch. Now would I rather red or sunburst....
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:
    Hmmm, are these anything more than overpriced Classic Players?

Shame they ditched vintage series/radius and frets, prefer them myself and plenty of classic guitar playing was achieved on such specs without too many tears. If anything I was put off buying an American Vintage in the past not by the neck specs, but by the paintwork that appears to just drop off.

Spec-wise they're not much like the CPs, particularly in terms of strat bridges, JM/Jag bridge (& trem placement), switching and nitro finishes and being made in America. YMMV as to how much you care about that
    I see they've put JM/Jag trem in the right place, which is good. Nitro doesn't do that much for me, particularly when bits flake off everytime you look at it. They're assembled in America. I know in the past US assembled guitars were using Taiwanese saddles, switches and pots and some Mexican plastics (same as many MIM models). Has this changed?

The Highway 1 series were assembled in the USA from Mexican parts were they not?

Only way I could afford a US Strat was to do get one of these.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:

they vary a touch from that anyway - granted .01/2/3 or 4 so again a gnats difference
  • These sound promising, but sad to see the AVRIs go. I'm not much bothered about the radius argument or vintage authenticity - I just hope they SOUND good. Any info about the pickups? 
    My AVRI 64 Tele does it all - great pickups.
    People are on the money about the nitro - after heavy gigging there's bits of my Tele all over the SE of England! 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    I'm not sure how the "they use the same nitro as in the 50's" stayed in this Tele vid.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    These sound promising, but sad to see the AVRIs go. I'm not much bothered about the radius argument or vintage authenticity - I just hope they SOUND good. Any info about the pickups? 
    People are on the money about the nitro - after heavy gigging there's bits of my Tele all over the SE of England! 
    The 50s Tele spec suggest thee are same pickups as the AV52, so it may be fair to assume that the AV series pickups are being used.

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    These sound promising, but sad to see the AVRIs go. I'm not much bothered about the radius argument or vintage authenticity - I just hope they SOUND good. Any info about the pickups? 
    The 50s Tele spec suggest thee are same pickups as the AV52, so it may be fair to assume that the AV series pickups are being used.
    Yes, we still use many of the American Vintage / Pure Vintage pickups in the Originals: 

50's P: '58 P Bass Pickups
    50's Strat: '59 Strat pups
    50's Tele: '52 pickups
    60's Jag: '62 Jag pups
    60's Jazzmaster: '65 Jazzmaster pups
    60's P Bass: '63 pups
    60's Strat: '65 Gray bottom pups
    60's Tele: '64 Gray bottom pups
    70's Jazz Bass: '75 J bass pups. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• MattFGBI said:
    Yes, we still use many of the American Vintage / Pure Vintage pickups in the Originals: 

50's P: '58 P Bass Pickups
    50's Strat: '59 Strat pups
    50's Tele: '52 pickups
    60's Jag: '62 Jag pups
    60's Jazzmaster: '65 Jazzmaster pups
    60's P Bass: '63 pups
    60's Strat: '65 Gray bottom pups
    60's Tele: '64 Gray bottom pups
    70's Jazz Bass: '75 J bass pups. 
    These look like good calls - thanks Matt. Hurray for gray bottoms!