Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Begrudgingly admitting something...

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZ said:
    How do these Vintage ones compare to Squier (affinity or CV)?
    I've not compared them, but the main thing I've been told, is that the stock Wilkinson pickups should definitely be given a chance before you rip them out. So far I'm inclined to agree. Sound great. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    It takes a bigger man to admit he is wrong @Legionreturns ;

• It takes a bigger man to admit he is wrong @Legionreturns ;

I didn't say I was wrong...I just said you were right ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Its nothing to be ashamed of its not like you are liking PRS or anything,  LOL

Thats the thing there are times in my head I think a Tele is the only guitar you need in the world, there is an efficacy to the design and the tone., a good Tele is an easy thing to fit in any mix. They can cover a hell of a lot of blues, rock, country etc.

Then I get distracted by all the other shiny toys and the honest working mans axe disappear from my mind. 

I think that is how a lot of people see the Tele TBH "an honest working mans axe", and somehow feel more earnest playing one. 

Of course Teles like anything offset are fashionable now too.  
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I am in the same boat, love my Tele and my les Paul, the Strat just has something in the tone with drive pedals that I don't like, loose woolyness or overly shrill, I find it very hard to get the balance right.
    but then at guitar shows I've had guys play my strat and it sounds lovely, so I suspect there must be something about the way we play and how we hear it coming out the amp that must not meet our expectations.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited January 2018
    I am in the same boat, love my Tele and my les Paul, the Strat just has something in the tone with drive pedals that I don't like, loose woolyness or overly shrill, I find it very hard to get the balance right.
    but then at guitar shows I've had guys play my strat and it sounds lovely, so I suspect there must be something about the way we play and how we hear it coming out the amp that must not meet our expectations.

I think Strats are great but I do think they sound very different in different hands - that's an obvious thing to say I know but I think it's more pronounced on the Strat.  Ergonomically you have to play the Strat a certain way, the Tele gives you a lot more elbow room.  I can think of two ace guitarists, Alvin Lee and Johnny Winter, who said they loved the sound of the Strat but just couldn't play it properly. I remember Alvin Lee saying his little finger used to keep striking the volume pot and killing the sound.  I do think the Tele allows you to play in a less constrained fashion.

Personally I think you need to be a great guitarist to really get everything out of a Strat.  Like Rory Gallagher, who was for my money the greatest ever exponent of the Stratocaster  - even better than Hendrix or Jeff Beck.  (There's an apocryphal story about a rock journalist asking Hendrix how it felt to be the world's greatest guitarist.  I don't know, he replied - why don't you ask Rory Gallagher.)
  • i do think the strat is the most perfect designed guitar, the layout, the curve of the body, the way it fits round you and the perfect upper fret access.. But i prefer teles, i sound better on them, dont know why.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Neil said:
    Never! Strats are still better!

But I do like my modded MIM Tele.
    I've given up on strats. I've tried loads, owned a few and they've all been gash. 
    Yes I can see how something that feels like a plank with no comfort contouring, has one less pick up and no trem could be superior to a Strat.  ;)
    Ive never really got the point of comfort contours. My strat has them. My teles dont. The teles are more comfrtable.

Do they make more of an impact if you're, ahem, overweight?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If I had a belly cut done to fit, I wouldn't have a guitar left...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3131
    Every guitarist must own a tele and a les Paul and a 335/Gretsch -it’s the law isn’t it? :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again; the only thing better than a Telecaster is two Telecasters. 

The realisation will come to every guitarist sooner or later. 
    I've got half a Tele (body in need of a neck)...

I've got four and a half Strats though (1x USA, 1x MIM, 1x Squier, 1x partscaster, 0.5x part-build partscaster).
  • I've never liked Telecasters but I'm right with you on Vintage guitars. My first singlecut guitar was a Vintage and it was so incredibly good that I upgraded to a gibson Les Paul. I tried loads of alternatives but I found the Vintage way better than Epiphone, LTD and Ibanez for a fraction of the money. The PRS was good but didn't have the balls or attitude of the Vintage. Of everything I tried, only the Gibson made me want to play in the way the Vintage did. Absolutely incredible guitars for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Neil said:

I've given up on strats. I've tried loads, owned a few and they've all been gash. 
    Yes I can see how something that feels like a plank with no comfort contouring, has one less pick up and no trem could be superior to a Strat.  ;)
    Ive never really got the point of comfort contours. My strat has them. My teles dont. The teles are more comfrtable.

Nice dig. 

Out of interest how is your Tele more comfortable?

A flat plank (and usually heavier)  with more difficult upper register access......... versus a Strat. 
  • Neil said:
    Neil said:

Nice dig. 

A flat plank (and usually heavier)  with more difficult upper register access......... versus a Strat. 
    I believe this is one of those "personal preference" things. You can't persuade someone to like something, they either do or they don't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the thing for me with strats is, they're pretty much the the only guitars I can think of that I never enjoy plugging straight into the amp. I LOVE going straight into a good amp with most guitars, but with my strats I seem to just always want something else in the chain, even if it's just a compressor or a boost. 

I also find teles much more comfortable, the way it hangs on a strap, everything really. 
    Neil said:
    Neil said:

Nice dig. 

I believe this is one of those "personal preference" things. You can't persuade someone to like something, they either do or they don't.

T'is true. 
  • I ignored Telecaster's my whole guitar loving life until one day last year when I for inexplicable reasons I saw one for sale on Gumtree, made an offer, met up with a very nice man in Euston ticket office handed over the cash took it home and have been smitten ever since. It fits like a glove, sound beautiful and look fantastic.

I've sold a very nice start style high end Yamaha pacifica and was looking so sell my Les Paul studio but couldn't bring myself to just yet but it does not get played since discovering the telecaster.

• That's not the usual sort of trade done at Euston ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I'm, erm, on the heavier side. I don't miss comfort contours on a tele style guitar. They fit and feel just fine. I also like strats just fine, so it's not an either/or, but there's something that T-style guitars do that S-style guitars don't. A weight or a solidity to the sound. Don't get me wrong, I really like that Strat tonality, too, and many of my favourite recorded guitar sounds are strats. But a T-style guitar isn't just a crap Strat with one less pickup, and a fixed bridge.

I also don't get the notion that upper fret access is impeded. The bolt-on heel is the problem, and it's about the same between the two styles.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    A good Tele is a joy. End of.

Theres no 'better' design of guitar - just differences. If the only differences you can hear/feel involve comfort contours, then something is wrong, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.