NGD : Gibson ES 355

What's Hot
So it was my birthday recently and it happened to coincide with a new guitar! A gibson ES 355. I've been after one for years having previously owned a 335, 345 and 330. I love ebony boards and finding one that didn't have richlite was very tricky. I know some find it too blingy but I love the gold hardware, inlays and custom headstock.  It made me wonder if anyone else has been through tons of guitars because of small details? I mean my previous semis were all great guitars, they just didn't have the features of the 355. 

Little demo here: 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nice guitar, shame about the Bigsby
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Well I think it’s great, as is your playing. That first jam on the neck pickup! Yeah!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    nice guitar, shame about the Bigsby
    A 355 without a Bigsby?! Wash your mouth out young man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • A 355 without a bigsby is just plain wrong! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    That's lovely!

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Perfect. Tried a great 355 this year, but the richlite wasnt for me either
  • nice guitar and nicely demonstrated
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    Phwoaar!
    Lovely guitar and fantastic playing too.

Have always wanted a 355 but my current 345 reissue is probably the closest I'll ever get. Funnily enough the richlite wouldn't put me off a 355 and I'd like rosewood if it's dark. I have an ebony board Yamaha SA2200 and reckon that at least half the time you're actually playing on an inlay (although I understand that the main contribution to the tonality must be from the board as a whole, otherwise you'd get every other fret sounding different!).

Love the bright sound of yours and the lack of varitone is probably seen as a positive by most. I'm a bit sick and twisted in that I like the look and (some of the) sounds that the chicken-headed monstrosity makes. It's not a deal breaker though and it's absence must keep the weight down (a little bit).

Anyway enjoy. They're the best guitar in the best colour (although I've a soft spot for the look of the 1970s walnut finish 355s too).

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3138
    There are very few things in life that can beat that! Happy ngd.
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    Lovely, lovely guitar.

And your playing really does it justice.
  • Thanks guys. 

Re: the varitone. I liked it on my 345, but yes it would add weight. It would complete the guitar. It's odd that Gibsons reproductions rarely include it on 355 but always on the 345. Certainly like the look of the varitone. 

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    AndyBowen said:
    Thanks guys. 

Re: the varitone. I liked it on my 345, but yes it would add weight. It would complete the guitar. It's odd that Gibsons reproductions rarely include it on 355 but always on the 345. Certainly like the look of the varitone. 

Being a big Johnny Marr fan, I added a dummy varitone to mine. Completes the look for me. 

https://instagram.com/p/BdxZ-TMjGeF/