Wooden Picks

What's Hot
Anyone use these?

I grabbed a few at the weekend. Some of them sound very "scrapey" but a couple seem to give an acceptable tone (quite woody - wouldya believe!). 

Longevity is certainly an issue though - they do wear quickly.

I do like the idea of playing with a natural material rather than plastic.

Wondering whether its worth persevering.

Anybody else like using them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a bunch of them. I always notice a big volume increase and some differences on acoustic (could be a placebo).
    On an electric I just hear a volume increase. Truth be told I always reach for a Dunlop Gator grip or any other plastic/nylon plectrum first
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have a bunch of them. I always notice a big volume increase and some differences on acoustic (could be a placebo).
    On an electric I just hear a volume increase. Truth be told I always reach for a Dunlop Gator grip or any other plastic/nylon plectrum first
    I'm playing acoustic only (at present). Will stick with them a little longer but I suspect I'll inevitably drop them quite soon in favour of the Primetone and Bluechips.
  • I use Timber Tones wooden picks on electric - I've experimented with a lot of other picks, and these are the only ones which really suit me.

I tend to go for the ebony variants - a nice woody feel, pretty hard, wear nicely and not as scrape-y as other woods. I do go through one every two rehearsals, though, and one every gig. It's quite the expensive habit.
    <space for hire>
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Purple heart makes a very nice sounding pick. I have made picks from dozens of different woods and that is by far my favourite!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3137
    I ended up falling for bone ones having worked through a variety of woods and stone pics. Worth experimenting with s few different sorts as they all have their own quirks. 
    Balrog68 said:
    Purple heart makes a very nice sounding pick. I have made picks from dozens of different woods and that is by far my favourite!
    Interesting, thanks. I keep seeing purple heart. I had never heard of it until a week ago.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 178
    I have a very strange ebony tipped leather pick that was in the pocket of an old banjo case.  It's kind of clanky for strummed chords, but does pull a lot of volume out of my archtop for other pick styles. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Assume you're talking steel string? If nylon, then I found that the best tone came from "rubbery" picks that stick a little to the string. I hate them for steel strings, but on nylon they stick a bit like fingers do so get the best tone. Note: I tried at least 50 different picks and materials to find out the one with best tone on nylon.
    carlos said:
    Assume you're talking steel string? If nylon, then I found that the best tone came from "rubbery" picks that stick a little to the string. I hate them for steel strings, but on nylon they stick a bit like fingers do so get the best tone. Note: I tried at least 50 different picks and materials to find out the one with best tone on nylon.
    I was referring to steel string though interested to hear about nylon too. When you say rubbery do you mean plastic with a sticky characteristic or something more like actual rubber?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7746
    I like them with acoustics.  
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    jellyroll said:
    carlos said:
    I was referring to steel string though interested to hear about nylon too. When you say rubbery do you mean plastic with a sticky characteristic or something more like actual rubber?
    Yes, plastic with a rubbery feel. Try them on the back of your nails or on glass at the shop if you can. If they drag, then they will sound good on nylon. If they just slide off, they won't have enough purchase on the nylon string to sound good. I use hybrid picking on my classical (sacrilege!) and I need a pick that will have a sound close to the fingers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @carlos. Wis'd for using the word "purchase" :)
  • TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    The best natural material is your fingers.

It's a good idea to buy a range of different picks/plectrums and trust your ears to tell you which gauge and material best suits the guitar but also different musical styles.

I have 4 acoustics and I use different plectrums for each guitar as they all respond differently.

Personally I trust Dava picks as you can actually change the way they interact with your guitar by simple changing where you hold the pick.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Mum bought me some buffalo horn picks for my bday. They're very different and very sharp and bright tonally. They really make a big difference and are a lot of fun. If you were a recording artist, pick changes could alter tone cheaper than anything else.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Agreed @Gassage ;

I think far too many acoustic guitar players ignore pick selection. You can make one guitars sound like a few dozen simply by mixing up your pick usage.

I've known people bring guitars back to the shop because they didn't find the guitar bright enough when they got it home. We play the guitar for them with a selection of picks and also without a pick and it's often a revelation to them.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    TAMCO said:
    Agreed @Gassage ;

I think far too many acoustic guitar players ignore pick selection. You can make one guitars sound like a few dozen simply by mixing up your pick usage.

I've known people bring guitars back to the shop because they didn't find the guitar bright enough when they got it home. We play the guitar for them with a selection of picks and also without a pick and it's often a revelation to them.

100% - as well as how they hold it, the way they address the strings, their whole picking arm positioning and technique. And then the same magnitude of variation again with string selection. It's always my first thought when I hear or read people saying this guitar is too bright, that guitar is too bassy etc...what have you actually done to try and get anything else out of it?

Lot of players out there who obsess about tone in the electric side of their playing but seem to work on the basis that an acoustic guitar just has a sound and they're not responsible for pulling anything out of it. There are so many guitars out there that have never produced anything near what they're capable of tone or volume-wise.

Spot on @Lewy ;
  • Cleg83Cleg83 Frets: 2
    edited January 2018
    Some very good points on here.

Rather than shelling out for Bluechip picks, try Wegen picks. I find the 1.4mm really compliments my guitar (and my technique) and has lasted years (with considerable use).

There are so many variables to consider though (choice of strings, pick material, style of song etc.). If I want a mellower tone I have a John Pearse pick that must be about 2mm. Buy a few and see what works I suppose. 
    Cleg83 said:
    Some very good points on here.

Rather than shelling out for Bluechip picks, try Wegen picks. I find the 1.4mm really compliments my guitar (and my technique) and has lasted years (with considerable use).

There are so many variables to consider though (choice of strings, pick material, style of song etc.). If I want a mellower tone I have a John Pearse pick that must be about 2mm. Buy a few and see what works I suppose. 
    Oh, I’ve already shelled out on BC and Wegen :). The wooden picks are just another dabble. At the weekend, I migrated back to BC - although strangely I found myself playing and enjoying the triangular shaped 60 which I’ve never previously enjoyed. My “go to” BC is usually the teardrop 80.  

Havent tried John Pearse. Is that the casein one?