String guages, 10-38 anyone?

What's Hot
NeillNeill Frets: 941
It's no secret that Jimi Hendrix used what today is an unusual string set, 10/13/15/26/32/38, but these days when guitarists talk about "hybrid" sets it's usually taken to mean the "thin top fat bottom" variety. 

Just wondering if anyone uses, or has tried, the 10-38 set or similar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can't imagine how that would work on a Strat. Bottom end must be well floppy.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    I fitted some to a guitar last week, don't think I'd never seen them before. They worked okay, surprisingly, but wouldn't be my choice!
  • It does seem like an odd combination to me. Can’t think why you would want those bass strings flabbing around, especially if you’re tuned down to e flat. But if it worked for Hendrix who am I to say?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The reason for the 'odd' gauges is because the bottom three were rolled-wound strings - original Fender F150s - so the final diameter is smaller than you would expect, but the mass of metal is the same as for a larger string.

I would guess the wound strings are equivalent in tension to about 28/36/44, so roughly the same as a standard set of roundwound 10s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The reason for the 'odd' gauges is because the bottom three were rolled-wound strings - original Fender F150s - so the final diameter is smaller than you would expect, but the mass of metal is the same as for a larger string.

I would guess the wound strings are equivalent in tension to about 28/36/44, so roughly the same as a standard set of roundwound 10s.
    That would explain it then!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Yussss.
    I've said before that when I buy a guitar I experiment with gauge and brand to get what suits both me and the guitar, there is no one size fits all to me. For best part of 40 years my Aria PE1000 has been strung with 10-38s. It made it a good sound between the Fender and Gibsons that were then the benchmark and it was for a few short years my only guitar and I've grown to love it like that. I did take it to a gig in December for World Aids Day and it made me smile every time I played it, so I've used it a lot in the interveening month.

It's a bit like the 60s guitarists who bough a pack of strings and a banjo string to get 'lights' when they wern't available. Use whats best not whats obvious on the shop shelf.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    ESBlonde said:
    Yussss.
    I've said before that when I buy a guitar I experiment with gauge and brand to get what suits both me and the guitar, there is no one size fits all to me. For best part of 40 years my Aria PE1000 has been strung with 10-38s. It made it a good sound between the Fender and Gibsons that were then the benchmark and it was for a few short years my only guitar and I've grown to love it like that. I did take it to a gig in December for World Aids Day and it made me smile every time I played it, so I've used it a lot in the interveening month.

It's a bit like the 60s guitarists who bough a pack of strings and a banjo string to get 'lights' when they wern't available. Use whats best not whats obvious on the shop shelf.

@ESBlonde what brand do you use?  The fenders I presume have long since disappeared and the only complete set I've seen is the GHS Boomers, or do you buy individual strings?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I've done all sorts @Neill,I thought Fender still did a set but cant find any online just now. I had a friend make up a box of sets from Rotosound singles for me a few years ago. GHS offer ready made sets online. Doesn't seem to be such a common set as was once the case.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’ve been using 10-38 for the last 4 years d’addario single strings to great effect. Strung half tone down. Really hits the hear my train a Comin tone. 10-48 regular tuning feels solid. I prefer the openness of my selection. 
    However, the low e tends to slip. Not for every guitar. My maple strat felt like 9s so I’m trying the 10-48. Next attempt will be 10-42. Or maybe 11-42. 
    I recently tried the ghs boomers 10-38 and was disappointed by their lifelessness. I’ve bought a second pack just in case. They are the only manufacturer providing this gauge set. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Matt Bellamy apparently uses 10, 17, 26, 36, 60 for playing in drop D on his Tele. The huge string is often obvious in concert photos. I can imagine that tension making a noticeable difference on the quick stuff like Stockholm Syndrome