Would you pay someone to write your CV?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• gubble said:
    A lot of recruitment agencies will also tweak any CV before sending it to prospective employers.
    One did it with mine, and ended up telling porkies to get me the job. They said I'd been using FORTRAN since 1977, whereas the truth was the last time I used it was 1977 (this was 1987). I never applied for a job via those dishonest bastards again.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As somebody who does interview and select people, I can spot a professionally written CV a mile off. I don't expect an IT geek to have a wonderful grasp of the English language I might even forgive the odd spelling mistake. But if I'm looking at somebody in marketing they should have a bloody good command of the language.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    As somebody who does interview and select people, I can spot a professionally written CV a mile off. I don't expect an IT geek to have a wonderful grasp of the English language I might even forgive the odd spelling mistake. But if I'm looking at somebody in marketing they should have a bloody good command of the language.
    @Axe_meister - cheeky get!  ;)

Anyway - that second sentence could use a semicolon...

</IT geek who has one foot in the marketing side of things> ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • no mate.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I think you should go for it. Website hosting and a simple design is dirt cheap these days. What have you got to lose but a bit of time and beer money?
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I used to get countless c.v's across my desk..  ended up re-doing many of my friends c.v's and happy to say that majority got jobs after the rewrite. 

A well written CV makes all the difference as well as being able to sell yourself. I would argue that the covering letter is . more important than the c.v, so maybe see if you can incorporate that.

If covering letter was shit, didn't even look at c.v.

So yeah.. go for it :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I once had a bloke wrote in to apply for a job. The job advert asked for applicants to send in a CV, and in his letter he said he didn’t have a CV but if he got the job, he’d get one done.
    I would have been tempted to give him the job......
    Obviously a doer not a talker !
    I like his style
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I was getting the impression before uni that my CV writing was what kept me from getting jobs...

Now I realise that it' very easy to have more experience than I had.

Now I think that when I'm looking for graduate jobs I should think about interviewing the companies I'm applying for... A million people needed in Europe InfoSec sector and about 10,000 trained and qualified workers to fill them... I'll have a Degree, been the president of Ethical Hacking Society and hopefully after tomorrow will be a paid "Ambassador" for an online Hacking and Forensics training platform... And have worked with lecturers running the Forensic and Security labs at uni... If I can't make a CV out of that and get a job in my chosen sector... I don't deserve a job! 

But in previous years I would have happily handed my CV over to others - I don't like self promotion or anything like it. CVs should really make you stand out and that always feels crass 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    I'll sort your CV for a fee

OK

Write down the jobs you've done and your qualifications

OK, here you go

Right, here's your CV, that'll be £50
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2018
    It's a no from me.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    It's a no from me.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom