Faith Mars Classic Burst - New guitar with imperfection. Is this normal?

Hi all,

I purchased a Faith Mars Classic Burst about a week ago and have noticed a mark on the cedar top which seems like some kind of knot or something (image linked). It's not what i'd expect to find on the top of an £800 guitar but I'm not an expert!

Does anyone know if this is typical, or what the mark actually is? It's under the lacquer near the top where my right arm rests.

https://imgur.com/a/fNxWy

Any input would be much appreciated!

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I got my hi gloss Venus for half price as there was a slight split in the top. Doesn't bother me. It plays good and sounds great, that's all that matters
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Thats unusual. Does it look like wood? If it is wood then no worries. If its a hole filled and sprayed over I'd be less happy. Good wood is getting rare so cosmetic imperfections are fine in my book. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I’d be more worried about that big white X on it! 

In all seriousness though, as above really. If it’s just a cosmetic quirk of the wood then it wouldn’t necessarily bother me (well it might, but it means there’s nothing wrong!). 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    looks like an unusually shaped pitch hole mark - usually they are elongated 'n narrow running WITH the grain.
    It may well have been filled with CA if it had 'voids'. More common in spruces and pines and fir - its a loal excess of resin - like a plook (pustule)
    Other than cosmetics - nothing to worry about - guitars are not like us - they're made from natural materials (mostly) and so have imperfections.
    play the hell outa it.
  • alcxamalcxam Frets: 112
    Looks more like a finish flaw to me... It's up to you if you think it ought to be acceptable on a £800 guitar or not! It's certainly not going to get any worse or have any effect on the sound of the instrument.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    I would write to Faith and ask them what's up.
  • TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    Without seeing it in real life it's difficult to say. My gut says it doesn't look like a natural part of the wood.

Otherwise, if it isn't a 'fault', it's more a case of the guitar maker allowing natural marks in the wood to show. 

We've had a number of very expensive guitars @tamcobrighton that have natural marks or scars. Often they add rather than detract from the overall look of the instrument.

• Cheers for all the information guys, it's very much appreciated! I suppose my only worry would be that it might get worse or degrade over time but that doesn't seem likely from your responses.

Winny, to be honest nope it doesn't look like wood at all, having read some of the responses here my guess would be that it's a filler compound.

AliGorie, your apparent knowledge comforts me : ) Thanks for sharing

I did email Faith since I created this thread, their response was that it is "figuring" in the wood. I was under the impression that figuring related to textures like "bear claw" etc in the grain though.
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    It is difficult to tell from the images but to me it does not look like figuring... I accept that you may find small knots or bearclaw (although that is seen by some as a sign of a stronger top) - I used to own a Gibson 00 which had a small knot  which earnt it the nickname 'spot' (not very original I know..).

It really boils down to how you feel about it -£800 is a lot of money if you are not 100% happy. Did you buy it mail order?

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Looks like a burn mark to me from a cig or ember.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    As long as it doesn't look like this you should be ok..