Boss katana...digital modelling amp?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
Or just solid state with digital FX ? I just assumed it was Boss COSM modelling but I've not seen that word associated with it on Boss's blurb?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    On their website it says "Boss Katana Amp - inspiring rock amp born of Waza DNA."

No idea what that means, but it must be good innit (Waza>COSM)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Well I guess it's still digital...maybe they'e finally ditched the COSM label due to it having a bad name around the web. But the DS-1x and OD-1x are both digital.
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    Its a solid state amp, with effects.
    No modelling
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Given that it's guts are a gt-100 I'm pretty certain it's a digital preamp.

Not sure if the power amp is conventional solid state or class D. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Katana mini is def solid state, and sounds like it too.
  • mal1971mal1971 Frets: 16
    There is one in our rehersal studio....  don’t like it.  The clean sound was very uninspiring.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    mal1971 said:
    There is one in our rehersal studio....  don’t like it.  The clean sound was very uninspiring.
    You're not the only one - I nearly bought one purely on the comments, but then I sat with one in person and I was disappointed (kinda gutted, as I liked the idea a lot)
  • On the basis you can hack them to have all the models on the gt100 I'd hazard a guess it is a digital modeling amp
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31568
    It is a digital modelling amp tech-wise, they just haven't named the models after specific vintage amps, hence the confusion and denial in some quarters. 

This is actually infinitely preferable to your usual crappy digital practice amp with an 8" speaker calling its patches "Rectifier", or "Marshall Major 200" or whatever. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    It is a digital modelling amp tech-wise, they just haven't named the models after specific vintage amps, hence the confusion and denial in some quarters. 

This is actually infinitely preferable to your usual crappy digital practice amp with an 8" speaker calling its patches "Rectifier", or "Marshall Major 200" or whatever. 

But the same models on the gt100 are named like this :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Fair play to Boss, they are getting their money’s worth out of the GT100 integration 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    p90fool said:

But the same models on the gt100 are named like this :)
    So which models from the GT-100 are the normal Katana channels (clean, crunch, lead, brown...)?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Although I sold mine I think they are pretty good, not massively better than other modelling amps, but making them appear like an analog amp with the plethora of digital options hidden, seems to have really helped with peoples perception of them.  No nasty presets and WISYWIG control layout means you can quickly get the best if the amp before being turned off.    Then should you wish, connect it to a PC and then there’s the full capability.   They have removed the option paralysis and packaged the same tech in a more mature package.

When I tried mine, I also had a go on a L6 Spider and had to endure some really bad sounds to get to any good sounds.  It felt a bit nasty too, but ultimately there we’re pretty good sounds in there.

I think this is the way forward for modelling amps and I’m sure people would pay a bit more for more quality packages, built around modelling tech, it doesn’t have to be all aimed at the young market.

I think a Helix combo could do well, quality cab, Helix brains, can be used as really good acoustic or bass amplification.  Classic looks, reasonable weight.  There could also be an amp only version for people that already have the Helix floor ir rack units.
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    They are solid state.
    Tube logic, same as roland blues cube, or boss waza-amps.
    DSP used for the speaker, line out and other stuff (just check vg forum)