suggestions for a fender tweed style dirt pedal

What's Hot
CarewCarew Frets: 9
I'm seeking suggestion for a Tweed style pedal, a dirt pedal or a amp-in-a-box style pedal.

I'm looking for the sound of a gained up, non master volume, lower output Tweed amp. specifically/ideally a Bandmaster.

That Neil Young kinda sound, maybe?

thanks

pedal fiend
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    The most obvious is probably a Lovepedal Les Lius (or clone)

My pick would be an Anarchy Audio Gold Class, but I'm not sure if they're available in the UK.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Red Llama
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    Lovepedal High Powered Tweed Twin.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have a Les Luis, I don't use it much these days in my covers band, but I always resist thinking of selling it as it's great.

I had a Catalinbread Formula 5F6 which was also brilliant, and possibly more versitle than the Les Luis with the EQ controls.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Durham Crazy Horse

I built the FuzzDog/PedalParts kit, and it's great...he now does a PCB for a vertical one too, which is handy.  I added a footswitch-able pregain control to mine, so you can kick in/out a lower gain sound.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I’ve not tried one, but Mad Professor have just released one, the Big Tweedy Drive.   Worth a look.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813

I’ve not tried one, but Mad Professor have just released one, the Big Tweedy Drive.   Worth a look.
    Yeah that sounds ace :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What about the LazyJ Cruiser or Deuce?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    For a cheap version I use a Joyo American Sound in front of my amp, can range from silverface sounds to tweed sounds but with eq so you can push the middle etc.  Not masses of gain but enough for Neil Young sounds.
  • I have 3 - Catalinbread Formula 5, Wampler Tweed 57 and just got the Ammoon (Joyo) American Sound. The F5 is an eBay but just before Christmas so it's early days. No gigs yet but rehearsed with it a couple of times - I'd say it does the Neil Young thing and 70s Stones/Faces pretty well but not much else. It's GRUFF!
    I've had the Wampler for a few years - never really got into it. To my ears it's a Tweed Bassman kinda thing with that high end 'ping' on top of lots of mids. 3-band eq is nice, but I can't seem to get the same sound twice. Got a killer Stones sound one night and haven't quite got back there again. Might sell! ( As an aside the Wampler 65 blackface pedal is fantastic, but that's not what you're after).
    I will gig the Joyo tomorrow - first time. So far very impressed for less than 30 quid. I like it for Tom Petty kind of thick jangle rather than tweed overload though. Will report back.
    For reference I'm mainly using these into a Custom Vibrolux Reverb - the older one, not the recent reissue. I'd say try the Joyo first.  

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited January 2018
    No-one’s mentioned the Liquid Sunshine yet so I suppose I have to. MK3 has the biggest tonal and gain range, and can do a very very good Neil Young sound indeed, especially with a boost pedal in front.
    Voiced more like a Fender tweed deluxe than a twin/bassman in that there’s emphasis on the mid/low mid, softer treble and squishy low end.

Forgot to add that powering it at 18v lowers the gain, boosts the volume and brightness and tightens up the response so I suppose that’s a nod towards ‘bassman’ territory. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I currently have the Lazyj Deuce which is great and goes into Fuzz territory on max and it does stack very well....Another favourite was the Les Luis which I'm slightly gassing for again.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Had the wampler 57. Meh in a Box. 
  • No-one’s mentioned the Liquid Sunshine yet so I suppose I have to. MK3 has the biggest tonal and gain range, and can do a very very good Neil Young sound indeed, especially with a boost pedal in front.
    Voiced more like a Fender tweed deluxe than a twin/bassman in that there’s emphasis on the mid/low mid, softer treble and squishy low end.

Forgot to add that powering it at 18v lowers the gain, boosts the volume and brightness and tightens up the response so I suppose that’s a nod towards ‘bassman’ territory. 
    Oh that's what it's supposed to do! I had one once. I think the reason I didn't get on with it is more down to me than the pedal
  • OP what amp are you using?
  • I do fancy a Les Lius though. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    I have had a good few tweedy pedals including the Wampler, the Catalinbread Formula 5, 5f6 and the latest one (55, is it?) and for ragged Neil Young tones none have been as good as the Bearfoot SYOD3, which does cranked tweed overdrive to a tee through a blackface/silverface-style amp.

Indeed it can make my Deluxe Reverb sound alarmingly like my Lazy J 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Babones said:
    Lovepedal High Powered Tweed Twin.

That sounds incredible!! Love it.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    thanks for suggestions

any more?
    pedal fiend
  • Post gig report on the Joyo - very good indeed. Didn't go for very heavy tweed tones but it was great for a thick jangle, as I expected. I backed off the mids a bit compared to home use, to get a slightly more open sound. At less than £30 you can't go wrong. I just hope it's built to last