Reminded of a night way back then...

I heard Promised Land (Take 5) by Elvis on the radio recently.  While admiring Elvis for what he achieved, I was never a fan of his music.  But that raw guitar tone.......

It reminded me of a night our band played at a charity gig sometime in the 1970s.  The gig was headlined by a nationally known Showband and we were allowed to use their amps.  So all we brought were our instruments.  There were three local bands, each playing a set of around 30-40 minutes before the main band went on stage.  Our group was second up.  My guitar was plugged straight into a Marshall stack.  And the tech turned up the amp some way.  Wow!  I never played at that volume before.  It was an unbelievable experience.  Triads and thirds simply rang out and the grit from chords.....

It seemed that our set only lasted 5 minutes but we were onstage for nearly three quarters of an hour.  I floated off stage.  Talk about a guitar playing itself!  And the crowd loved it.  Everyone was on the floor dancing.  A most memorable experience.

When the headline band went on stage, the amps were turned up further.  So to get 'that' sound you need power.  At least 50 watts into a 4 * 12" cab.  It only ever happened once but Wow1  The guitar tone on the Elvis record reminded me of the sound of my amp that night.  Honestly I only held the guitar and tried to look like I knew what I was doing, it was the amp made the sound. Listen to the track and you will understand.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom