Which AC30 Question

asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
As most here probably know I play clean stuff Shadows - Hank Marvin etc.

From reading some of the threads it would seem a Vox AC30 CC2 would be the amp to get
if I could find one at a reasonable price and from someone who wouldn't mind posting.

So in the absence of a CC2 which modern Vox AC30 would give me the closest sound
to what I am looking for.

I do have a Vox AC15 C1 but to my ears it lacks that core Vox sound that an AC30 seems to give.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Where in the UK are you? There's a CC2 for sale in the shop I work for... in Glasgow. No shipping though.

In the absence of a CC2, the current Handwired model. You may want to sit down before checking the price though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Hi ICBM That's the problem no one will ship the amp.
    Im in Lancashire between Southport and Preston.
    Why won't the shop ship it if you don't mind my asking?

I suppose it's the £1750 Model.

asimmd said:

Why won't the shop ship it if you don't mind my asking?
    It can't be properly insured and is a customer's agency sale... so if anything goes wrong in shipping the shop loses a lot of money, since they will still have to pay the owner. They had that experience early on with a guitar, so it's now policy to not ship anything that isn't theirs.

Yes, the Handwired is about £1600 or more depending on which shop, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 2018
    Understood thank you.

would I be correct in thinking that the AC30 has a different sound/tone to my AC15C1 as I cant
    get a decent Hank sound out of it.

Do you know the model number of the Handwired AC30 please.

asimmd said:

would I be correct in thinking that the AC30 has a different sound/tone to my AC15C1 as I cant
    get a decent Hank sound out of it.
    Yes. I don't really like AC15s either... to me, the AC30 sounds better at any volume - it's deeper, fuller and clear-sounding. The AC15 is more middy and just sounds small to me - although the C1 is actually better than any of the other modern ones I've tried it's still not a 'smaller AC30'.

The Handwired one is the AC30HW2X - you do need the Blue speakers for the Shadows sound I think.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    Yes, it’s A-C-3-0  ;)

If you’re after a clean Vox AC30 sound, I think a used Marshall/Korg would be a good bet, if you can find one. The modern ones are marketed on the overdrive sound imho.
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the comments and the info.
    I have been listening to some demos on YouTube and the HW2X is the one to get.
    I could p/x my AC15 or my Boogie 5/25 that I don't use but one way or another
    i think it will be mine.

• HushHush Frets: 21
    edited January 2018
    I have an AC30 C2x for sale Lancaster. N. Lancs bought new 2011 from Guitar guitar Edinburgh. outstanding condition, not my main amp so surplus to requirement through wanting to downsize, house and lifetime of gear accumulation, Trial welcome.
    Thanks Hush but I am set on the HW2X and I can p/x one of my amps I not use.

• HushHush Frets: 21
    It's no problem, I love Vox's and wouldn't mind a HW2x myself, but I've got way to much gear