Another really boring what amp thread

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
sorry to do it, I know check the search function etc etc but......

alien  body snatchers have taken over my wife and she has literally said I can get anything I want as it’s my 40th next week and I want to strike while the irons hot. 

Back story. 
Had a Mesa rectoverb combo loved it but quite a loud noise floor and could hear the tranny hum over the noise levels I was/am having to play so sold it and bought a Katana 50.  

I have a young  daughter (less than 2yrs old) in the house so can only play quiet of an evening and every now and then a bit louder at the weekends. 

For in the week late night noodling the K50 is perfect but turn it up and I’m missing that thump from the low end the Mesa gave me at the weekends. 

I play a range of music from pearl jam , placebo style light gain and a smudge of fuzz to almost slipknot levels of chug and gain using various PRS guitars (vela, custom24). 

So what amp to get? If it can do quiet too brilliant but not bothered if not just needs a clean and a gain channel capable of the styles mentioned. 

Help

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Check out Brunetti metropolitan
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Do you have a price range in mind?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    Mesa Rectoverb 25.

I want one too, but my wife has not been taken by the body snatchers so I will have to buy a new car this week instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Kalimna said:
    Do you have a price range in mind?
    Circa £1200 I think, don’t want her to fight her way back in. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    Mesa Rectoverb 25.

I want one too, but my wife has not been taken by the body snatchers so I will have to buy a new car this week instead.
    There’s always next week?

i do have a fondness for Mesa’s but is the noise floor as loud on these as the bigger combos? 
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    I briefly had a Recto-verb 25—I don’t recall any significant noise issues, and I tend to be sensitive to that.

Have to say I didn’t really care for the sound of the amp, though, and it didn’t really capture the sound of the full-fledged Rectifiers.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    go Digital.. Helix maybe?
    Si_ said:
    go Digital.. Helix maybe?
    I can’t be arsed with the learning curve, I just want to plug in for the 20 odd free minutes I have and play, I’m too much of a tinkerer to go digital. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    What about a 2nd hand Rivera? A few on ebay, and this on gumtree

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/rivera-55-12-boutique-valve-guitar-amp/1282501879

Damn good  amps for the price.

Adam
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    grungebob said:

i do have a fondness for Mesa’s but is the noise floor as loud on these as the bigger combos? 
    Not sure - I never noticed the noise with the bigger ones. That may be because I always ran the Trem-o-verb with the channel masters up high (full, on the clean channel) and the gains and output level fairly low.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    got a mini rec up for sale  ( essentially rectoverb 25 without speaker / reverb tank )- add cab / fx of your choice - low noise - cleans to brutalz 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/122334/mesa-mini-rectifier-750#latest
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Yep, Mini Rec or Rectoverb 25. My Mini Rec is silent, sounds good at low volumes apart from modern mode - That one needs to be wound up.
    If you get to try one then try ch1, clean mode. Put it in 10 watt mode and crank the volume all the way up and use the gain control to set your volume. You will get the most amazing chiming clean tone, sounds almost like there is some reverb in there. 
    It also does a nice crunch all the way up to the brutalz if you are that way inclined. 
    edited January 2018
    Thanks chaps, food for thought.