MXR Micro Amp

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

In a fit of ebay madness I've purchased an MXR Micro Amp without really thinking about why (iother than it was cheap and I can flip it for a profit it I need to).

Currently my main drive tones come from either a TS Mini (light gain) or a BD2 (heavier gain). I use an EHX soul food at the front of the chain to add a bit of a signal boost to the TS and then a Boss SD1 after the drives as a volume boost for solos.

So having no real clue what the pedal I've just bought really does can I use it to replace either the Soul food (to add a bit of a boost to the TS) or replace the SD1 and use it to increase my signal into the amp for a solo boost?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Yes, either. The guitarist in my band uses one at the end of the chain, sounds great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's just a clean boost with a very slight mid-hump. Can't see what it would give you that you can't already get with your present setup.
  • You can always stick it in your fx loop and use it as a solo boost. Great pedal to always have available. It can boost an already overdriven sound for sustain or feedback. I wouldn't get rid...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    I giggled one for years. Seriously underrated pedal imo, presumably because it isn’t new or posh or particularly shiny looking.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 123
    Fantastic pedal. Without doubt the one that I use most. I hate to say it, because I don't generally believe that older is necessarily better, but in this case it is. I used a modern one for a few years and liked it but the older one that I replaced it with doesn't have the mid-range spike. It boosts the signal in a much warmer way and gives it more girth without really altering the tone. At the higher volume setting you can get a lovely overdrive too and due to its clever design, if you fit the rubber control cover you can easily adjust the volume on the fly with your foot. IMHO, the Micro Amp is a classic.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    It's a standard non inverting opamp circuit in a box, flat in frequency response and has a gain of around 20. Very similar to the Distortion + but no clipping diodes so essentially a simple 26dB clean boost 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Under rated pedal these days but they are a cool boost with a huge amount t of lift available.   
  • You can always stick it in your fx loop and use it as a solo boost. Great pedal to always have available. It can boost an already overdriven sound for sustain or feedback. I wouldn't get rid...
    This worked well for me if a particular tone I liked got 'lost' in the mix. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    I giggled one for years. 
    LOLed, well, just because.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the 'plus' version with added bass and treble controls - a great boost pedal that is on my board ahead of an Xotic RC Booster. The MXR has more clean muscle, is easy to 'tweak' and just works much better for my usage. I bonded with it straight away without really knowing exactly why, it just does the job really well.