Anyone got knowledge of wiring up Graphtech Midi/piezo etc?

Some years ago I bought the Graphtech hexpander board and acoustiphonic board and various bits that go with them. I used them for some time but then the guitar fell out of favour, and when I eventually did pick it up I couldn't remember what all the knobs and switches did! Basically I had knobs for piezo volume, midi volume, magnetic tone and volume. 3 way switch for magnetic pickups and 4 mini switches - piezo/mag/both, midi on off, midi up/down and mag coil split. Too much for my simple brain!

Anyway, this is my question: I'm building a midi only guitar (no magnetic pickups at all) and I'm thinking of using my Graphtech parts BUT, I want minimum controls. It's a long shot I guess but I'm wondering if it would be possible to wire the two boards to a single volume pot? and also a single 2 way switch that gave you either midi or piezo but not both together? I want the minimum amount of controls possible, ideally just those two items. Anyone know if that can be done? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    The midi and piezo pots have very different values. If you could find a ganged pot with both values then you might have a solution.

My solution to the problem of having too many knobs and switches was to control the midi from a floor pedal. Just have a volume on the guitar, and change patches with your feet.

axisus said:

... and also a single 2 way switch that gave you either midi or piezo but not both together? 

That’s possible, although I’d suggest keeping the “both” option. You can get a good effect by finger picking the piezo, and fading a string or synth pad up behind.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    @Roland thanks for your most useful post! I was planning to control midi via floor only, but you have brought up a good point about piezo + strings, I hadn't thought about that and it's a valid argument for actually keeping two volumes as well. I think you have just made my life a bit easier! I reckon I can live with 2 knobs and 2 micro switches. Ta!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    How about a double pole three way switch: piezo, both, midi?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.