12 String Acoustics? Which to get, which to forget?

What's Hot
LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
edited January 2018 in Acoustics
I... Just bought one on Reverb.

I know I said...
I've got my eyes on a 12 string Stella by Harmony and I'm in the market for a decent 12 string...
The only thing stopping me (and it's a big thing) is; I don't love the sound of them/their tone.
I just have to remind myself what they sound like to stop myself from getting it.
https://reverb.com/item/9260114-nirvana-1969-harmony-stell a-h913-12-string-pro-setup-new-strings-vintage-usa-kay-silvertone
but... I bought it. just now.

a Stella by Harmony 12 String.
This Stella by Harmony 12 String:

See, what happened was, I had my eye on this nice Guild earlier, £1, 400.00 though, anyway, that sold, but I liked it and was about £800.00 cheaper than the others, was a 1974, even had a cool serial number with '69' in it (I know, I must grow up one day)... But yeah, That was in Japan and that sold/this, this sold
https://reverb.com/uk/p/guild-f-512-natural?ended_listing=8582738

Then I figured the one I want, I can't afford this year until I can p' away £3k or so on a guitar...
So I thought, while I can/to tide my me by/options of get my Kurt Cobain on if I removed 7 strings (lol)...
... I bought it.

It's coming, from Nashville, TN...

Seller boasts zero fret ware and that it looks almost unplayed.

This is a video of one  of the one I've got coming I found on YouTube

I figure this 12 string should tide my by, for now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I've had horrible cheap 12 strings before, one Tanglewood acoustic, and one cheap horrible nasty ED-1275 copy that I paid £180.00 for brand new and... I likened its fretboard to sandpaper and blamed it for knocking my Framus's headstock off (somehow) when it turned out it was innocent and the old glue just gave.on the headstock/neck joining (I learnt that booking it in for repair)... I thought that big guitar fell on it or smashed into it and I must not have noticed (stupid, I know, but that's what I deduced happened and why I blamed it)...

This Harmony by Stella should be better than those 2 at least, even if it's not a really nice high end Guild (I've played on once going for like £6k or £12k in Rose Morris of Denmark St. London this one time). - I would love to own that guitar I played that day, but we'd see what the Stella has to say.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    (Before anyone points it out to me about the seller saying Nirvana there - That was never a selling point for me, more of a fact I felt I had to cross check and found what I found of his one, wasn't like this one. The ones I heard like his compared to the ones I heard like mine, I preferred them to the one I got but then I couldn't find anybody selling them/just playing them).
    You see, in comparing this to the one he had, I just liked the ones like his better... But... Then I thought... Welll.... I do want a 12 string, it's only £400.00 .. I might be able to get one I want next year.. This could do for a year at least.
    I know the seller says Nirvana, and I know Kurt Cobain used a broken one but... I can't find any pictures of one that looks like mine, but, that was never really an issue (you know I don't care if I have the same one of,. I just want a 12 string). I guess I just wanted a 12 string and thought the opportunity was too good to pass up, looking at more expensive guitars all day.
    I've bought 2 guitars from Reverb.
    Both the same make.
    Both the week.
    Both from the same country... (America)
    And both because things that look cool but too good to be true from Japan have sold for more than what I paid on my Stellas.
    My parlor guitar, was one I researched to the final make and model and colour, but I couldn't get the colour I wanted and went for the common one that no UK shop or collector seems to have, but people like Elvis rock it, so; Can't complain.
    Stella by Harmony, a make I've never heard of a month ago.
    Both bought on a site I've never heard of until recently too.

Good site. Reverb.com
  • A mate had an Eko which was really solid
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    A mate had an Eko which was really solid
    I had an Eko Ranger 12 and to say it was solid would be an understatement.
    It could've survived being at the epicentre of a nuclear explosion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    A mate had an Eko which was really solid
    I had an Eko Ranger 12 and to say it was solid would be an understatement.
    It could've survived being at the epicentre of a nuclear explosion.
    Really? Hmm, I didn't know that... To me, I avoided Eko brand guitars because to my untrained eyes, I thought they were entry level bargain like Tanglewood or Encore.

Hmmm... You live you learn.
  • I just took delivery of my 12 String.
    It's a 1969 Harmony Stella H913
    https://reverb.com/item/9260114-nirvana-1969-harmony-stella-h913-12-string-pro-setup-new-strings-vintage-usa-kay-silvertone

It's had a pro set up by the people who restore and sell old vintage guitars/Funky Junk Guitars of Nashville, TN, USA
    and for it, it plays and sounds great.
    Nice action/I've heard horror stories about these guitars after I purchased it but before it came/I took delivery... Maybe I got lucky/maybe it's that pro set up, but this acoustic 12 string is nice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    you're aware Slash uses Guild acoustics ? so it's not really very authentic for patience 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Back in 75 my sisters boyfriend had an Eko Ranger which I coveted so went up to Denmark St to buy one and came home with a Fender F55 12 from Rose Morris. Still have it and haven't had to do anything to it for the last 40 years! Neck hasn't moved at all despite much abuse. Still plays really well and sounds like a 12 string!
    Is it vintage now? 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • darcym said:
    you're aware Slash uses Guild acoustics ? so it's not really very authentic for patience 
    I just keep flagging your posts now, please, someone, ban him.

The fuck is this?
  • Just ruined my thread @darcym ;
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I hardly think so. Please feel free to flag though, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Always fancied one of those Stella 12s.
    You've done well with that one. Looks brand new.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 839
    I just took delivery of my 12 String.
    It's a 1969 Harmony Stella H913
    https://reverb.com/item/9260114-nirvana-1969-harmony-stella-h913-12-string-pro-setup-new-strings-vintage-usa-kay-silvertone

It's had a pro set up by the people who restore and sell old vintage guitars/Funky Junk Guitars of Nashville, TN, USA
    and for it, it plays and sounds great.
    Nice action/I've heard horror stories about these guitars after I purchased it but before it came/I took delivery... Maybe I got lucky/maybe it's that pro set up, but this acoustic 12 string is nice.
    Nice looking guitar. How much did you end up paying in total (including import duty etc)?