Fascinating to see this in progress

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Cheers for that. Nice to hear the actual tapped tones
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yup - I'm a Dana fan -
    I put this up a while ago - a general vid about his approch to making guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=HMGtTD4bH-w

If folks are interested in what makes a guitar work - or not in the hands of an experienced maker can I advise John Greven's videos on soundboards and bracing - the heart of the instrument -

these videos and more are on the
    Guild of American Luthiers site - worth a visit.

• IMO, he's one of the best guitar makers in the US. 

A shame their guitars are so incredibly expensive in the UK though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The ‘back’ story to DB’s rise to where he is now was what made me seek out and eventually but his JOM model.
    Think I’ve posed this before - but the details are quite fascinating, and now widely known - his work, in conjunction with Eric Schoenberg and “ T. J. Thompson, Dana's former apprentice jointly completed a final batch of Schoenberg Soloists at C. F. Martin & Company in 1990.”
    This work gave Martin the ‘back to the future’ direction viz their Golden Era more recently ‘Authentic’ series.
    Also the JOM was designed to be PRS’s foray into acoustic land back in 1992 - heres the original design complete with f/b inlays and PRS headstock, which DB remodelled into his ’Snakehead’ h/stock when he set up on his own and used his JOM design as the centerpiece of his model range.
    The PRS venture fell through - something about QC !.
    All the info info here -
     http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Schoenberg/1990.htm

http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Schoenberg/PRS/prsa7.jpg
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    edited January 2018
    They are really awesome guitars. I had an 00 that I wish I hadn't sold, and had one of his Slope D's for quite a while, but now have this below!! It is ridiculously good. It whispers, it roars, just handles anything at all, way too good for me really. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Model: DB Signature

Top: Eastern Red "Adirondack" Spruce 
    Back: Madagascar Rosewood 
    Rosette: Signature Wood 
    BodyBinding: Figured Koa

Purfling: DB Signature Herringbone 

Backstrip: Multicolor Herringbone 
    Head Shape: Square Head With Diamond 
    Head Veneer: Ziricote 
    Head Inlay: Bourgeois Logo 
    Head Binding: None 
    Fretboard Wood: 14 Fret Ebony 
    Nut Width: 1 23/32" Scale length 25.5 " 
    Fretboard Inlay: Fossilized Mammoth Ivory Squares & Diamonds 
    Fretboard Binding: Ebony
    Pickguard: Tor-Tis 
    Bridge: Ebony Belly Bridge 
    Signature Label: Dana Bourgeois Signature Label 
    Tuners: Waverly Gold with Snakewood Buttons 
    DB Signature Specs. Bone Pins. 

• CloudNine said:
    They are really awesome guitars. I had an 00 that I wish I hadn't sold, and had one of his Slope D's for quite a while, but now have this below!! 
    I played the OM version of your guitar in Ivor's and it was a superb guitar. 

What was the OO you had?  OO's are my personal favourite body shape to play and IMO Bourgeois's 14 OO's are up there with the very best around

It was a 14 fret Adi over EIR. Really responsive little guitar, and I am seriously considering tracking down something similar. 
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Great series of videos. Never had the pleasure of playing one but their L-DBO Presentation series (I think they only made 10) sounds fantastic - keep going back to the review by Eddies Guitars (Youtube) of this model! 
    that'll be a super sounding guitar Cloudnine - how old U had it?.
    jrc - small Gibsonesque and that bling are not my thing but ya just know that even a stripped down one of those is gonna be a killer.
    edited January 2018
    Got it last year @AliGorie. Was not planning on another guitar, thought my current J45 was all I would ever need, but played it and had to have it.

The guitar in this vid sounds incredible. Not sure I would want a dread with that bling, and actually not sure it is really the specific kind of tone I would want either, but in terms of sounding big and impressive, definitely got it.

edited January 2018
    seriously big sound - just right for the mighty session -
    I was trying to ask - badly, how old your dread was. Reason being though my JOM is humble IER + Sitka it has developed a lovely full tone over the 20 yrs I've had it. Equal too my L25 Lowdie which is 30 yrs - meaning - it's all there, on tap and I certainly have no need or desire for anything built with more 'exotic' materials.
    IIRC, the Bourgeois took about 4-5 yrs regular playing (I bought it to gig solo with) - Bill Kelday thought it had a superb top, very stiff and considered that a good thing (stiffer=lighter) = longer to 'play in'.
    In the vid above I find it fitting that DB uses baked braces on the baked top as it's ALL a 'system' and interdependent - just the degree he and the likes of GL go to viz, GL would only use 'split' timber for bracing (whenhe's been in charge) at Lowden.
    When you hear detail like that you know these guys intrests lie with the customer rather than the shareholder.

Sorry Ali, understood, it's a 2012 guitar. It may have some even greater things ahead of it in tone, but if it never changes, I would be more than happy. I can't get over the versatility of it. It sounds great with light strumming and finger picking, but has a huge amount of power on tap when called for? Quite exhilarating to play.

I have owned quite a few Collings and they all have that same power, but they just don't seem to want to do anything else, it's kind of all or nothing, the demand to be pushed all the time, the Bourgeois definitely doesn't.

Totally agree re. bracing, it all counts. I think Bourgeois use only Adi bracing on their guitars, and it is an upcharge with virtually everyone else. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    IMO, he's one of the best guitar makers in the US. 

A shame their guitars are so incredibly expensive in the UK though!
    they aren't when buying used in the UK, Everyone is buying Taylors and Lowdens, etc. and they haven't heard of Bourgeois

I had A Bourgeois OMC Sean Watkins signature, that would be about £5.5k new, and I struggled to sell it for £2200  
    A lot of boutique stuff does take a hit on used values, for sure. Don't think Bourgeois much different to Collings, SCGC etc, in that respect. I have bought and sold lots of each, and not noticed any particular worse than the other.

In terms of having heard of Bourgeois, most guys I know who are into guitars have heard of them, and are aware of the quality etc. I think the issue with your OMC was more likely people not having heard of Sean Watkins, as well as many people being generally not keen on artist signature guitars, unless they are real fans. So you are looking for a big fan of Sean Watkins, in the UK, hoping they have £3k to blow on a guitar, narrows the options a bit...

I would never buy an artist sig guitar, even of someone I really liked.
  • TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    I own a Bourgeois OM Custom and it is sensational.

Dana and his team turn out incredible instruments on a consistent basis and generally they're great value too.

Far too many players head down the Ma@#in, Ta^2or, Gib!@n path without exploring the smaller makers.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    edited January 2018
    CloudNine said:

I would never buy an artist sig guitar, even of someone I really liked.

I would if I happened to like all aspects of the spec and the artist's name wasn't all over it (i.e. signature inlaid on the fretboard). The Collings OM1A Julian Lage model is a good example. Perfect spec, name  not even on it. I'd have one of them in a shot.

The other pitfalls with sig models are that artists stop using them....can't remember the last time I saw Sean Watkins playing anything other than an old Gibson (either his J45 or one that Jackson Browne gave him) so you can find yourself with a guitar whose association is with someone who thinks something else is better. And then there's the issue of the artists themselves and what they get up to....can't imagine anyone trying to sell a Santa Cruz Bob Brozman has had much luck in recent years......

The best signature on a guitar is the maker's....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair you do not have to go down the American route, there's a prewar style D28 in Peach at the moment built by Atkin for 2k new in the sale.

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/acoustic-guitars/atkin-retrospective-d28.htm

Back on subject of Bourgeois here's a great player on a JOM :   

Great playing and a lovely guitar.