What's the best quality cheapy you've bought and why?

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
When I was a teen a friend of mine knew I liked the old 70s Ibanez Musician basses and anything like a Tobias, so when a Cort A4 got traded in to the music shop where he worked in, he gave me a call to come down and try it out.

It cost me all of the £300 I'd earned in my part-time job and it needed some work, but my playing made great leaps with that bass and it did everything with a great comfy neck.

Last year I went searching for a quality and started looking at G&L Tributes and Squier Classic Vibes, but in the end I found myself back at Cort (ethics aside) and found the G-Series to be consistent with my late A4 - Just add a Vox Amplug and you're laughing.

Check out this £140 guitar jamming with Jeff Berlin... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEk5rZkBxFo

I've since gone back to higher end guitars, but the fretwork on the Cort stuff is just incredible when compared with others in that price range. I've had good experiences with ESP Ltd but I haven't played anything of theirs that's sub £500, so I would be interested to hear about those too. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Yamaha FG800 acoustic.

Compared it to guitars costing double and more and couldn't see anything making it any lower quality than the others.

Reason I went for a cheapo is cause I don't really care about acoustic guitars, just wanted one to record "an acoustic guitar" now and then and it does that job perfectly well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    thegummy said:
    Yamaha FG800 acoustic.

Compared it to guitars costing double and more and couldn't see anything making it any lower quality than the others.

Reason I went for a cheapo is cause I don't really care about acoustic guitars, just wanted one to record "an acoustic guitar" now and then and it does that job perfectly well.
    Solid Sitka Spruce at £189...It sounds great on the videos too. I love the BB Series and the cheaper ones compete the with the Japanese, but the Pacifica has a neck profile that I can't get on with (wide/thin), so I had to discount them from my search.

That FG is nice though and I may have to try one out - I don't have an acoustic.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2018
    http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/BowwoodSG.jpg

Cheap Chinese Plank. Cosmetic Finish: Good for the price Tone Quality: Quite acceptable (especially when covered with FX;) )Playbility: OK, except for high fret access Intonation: Good. Best usage: recording a heavy jingle for Ipswich Community Radio

EDIT cost me £100 + a setup  by Colin Fulton
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Epiphone LP100 - back in the 1990's can't remember how much it was but it it was cheap.  Korean made. Didn't sound like a Les Paul at all more like a really hot Telecaster, absolutely monster sound for a bargain basement guitar.  Can't think for the life of me why I sold it.  The ebony ones go for next to nothing on ebay it really is amazing what you can get for your money these days.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    A 2nd hand Vintage AV-2. Got it for just under a £100 and it plays like it should cost 8 times that much. The only downside is I'm not mad on its full humbucker mode sound.
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    2015 LP Junior £280.

I imagine the other lucky sods who snagged one at that price agree  :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage Vs6mrpcr... Sg Jr copy that'd had "the treatment" by Raygun Relics. Brilliant thing, so good I bought it twice! 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRCeBcKW0AAC9-e.jpg
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited January 2018

Donkey's years old £15 JHS Vintage SG (as posted previously on here) - feels great, plays great, neck profile fits my hand like a glove. Love it.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
    G&L S-500 Tribute for 250.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited January 2018
    Keiper 109 .Full hollow Les Paul sized f hole bedecked jazzer .60 quid from Gumtree

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    Bought a £105 harley benton 335 copy, was really good except the pickuos, paid £100 for seymour duncan vintage blues and £45 for gibson pearloid tuners, great guitar sounds brilliant.
  • ESP-M50 that I got for around £350 in the early 2000s.  I still have it although, for some reason, I filed nut slot away on the high E string so I need to fix that with some baking soda and glue.  

It has pretty high frets, plays well, the neck is solid and it sounds decent.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    A Chinese Squier 'Double Fat' Strat. I paid £50 for it second hand, and although admittedly I did change the pickups it was more so I could easily fit PRS-type 5-way switching (the stock pickups don't have 4-conductor cable) than because the original ones were no good. The rest of it was perfect, and it played and sounded just as good as my PRS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Either a Fender Japan Jazzmaster £150 or a Korean Epi Sheraton £140.
    Enjoyed and modded them for a few years before selling on to finance a pre CBS Jaguar.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294
    Squier bullet Strat thing frmo Soho Soundhouse about 30 years ago for less than £100. There were some cracks in the body but not one of them moved or widened in the many years I used it. It had a bridge humbucker and on investigation it turned out that it had an extra wire that enabled me to tap it with a microswitch.

I changed the bridge saddles for ones with fine tuning and added a nut lock. It was very stable, regardless of how much shred-era whammy wangling I inflicted on it. Now I come to think of it I swapped the middle and neck single cloils for some Kent Armstrong ones.

I retired it when the neck wear became too great to be able to play the high E properly.

I'm not getting misty-eyed with nostalgia.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I must be tired.....read the heading as what’s the best chippy you’ve ever had.....now there’s a thread. 
    Almost said Rick Steins in Newquay but then I remembered there’s a fantastic place in Helensburgh on the west coast of Scotland that gives you a ticket while they freshly cook your order
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Probably the Yamaha Attitude Plus bass guitar for £120. Upgrade with a Gotoh 201B bridge, an American pickup and, possibly, an active EQ and it'll embarrass a Mexican Fender Precision.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    edited January 2018
    New-old-stock Knaggs Kipawa acoustic for £240 on eBay. Ex-distributor was blowing out some old inventory and I had a 20% off voucher at the time too. 

(They were around £1200 new, so it also counts as “best deal ever.”)

They were made by Godin to Joe’s design/spec. Really nice guitar - at least on par with any of the top Simon & Patrick offerings. 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    1960 Les Paul Junior for $250 - many years ago and had the worst yellow finish ever, plus a headstock crack that was showing through.  I gave it to @WezV and I gave him an original Gibson Les Paul Junior decal that I'd had for about 20 years.  He stripped it and fixed the crack and sent it for a refin and it came back like it was just out of the factory.  
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Fret King Blue Label Eclipse for £295, great quality and it plays really well and sounds great..