Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    Can this be powered from a pedal power 2? sorry if this has been covered already.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They definitely need to sort the european/UK pricing out.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Line-6-Helix-LT/art-GIT0041836-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh8azypWH2QIVw7XtCh2uJQJ7EAQYBiABEgJhjPD_BwE

Just over £100 more for an LT at the moment.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

They definitely need to sort the european/UK pricing out.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Line-6-Helix-LT/art-GIT0041836-000?campaign=GShopping/UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh8azypWH2QIVw7XtCh2uJQJ7EAQYBiABEgJhjPD_BwE

Just over £100 more for an LT at the moment.

That's because the HX is new.  Give it 8 months and it will be £50 cheaper.  Give it a year and it will be £80 cheaper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So people who pre-ordered from GuitarGuitar when they were £450...will they get them for that price?

Anyone on here do that?

I was tempted but I kind of assumed that would be the street price generally rather than a one-off blip. Bummer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    edited February 2018
    So people who pre-ordered from GuitarGuitar when they were £450...will they get them for that price?

Anyone on here do that?

I was tempted but I kind of assumed that would be the street price generally rather than a one-off blip. Bummer.
    Same here - but as I don't need it straightaway and have some other stuff to sort out I waited too!

Here's my target state:

(unless L6 have added a decent POG-alike to the firmware?!)
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited February 2018
    Am I the only one reloading the google search daily and looking for finding an updated (lower) price and availability?
  • ∆ no you are not!
  • cbellanga said:
    Am I the only one reloading the google search daily and looking for finding an updated (lower) price and availability?
    We need a camelcamelcamel equivalent for the web!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Had a thought, probably a daft one.  Could I use a HXFX as a midi controller for a Helix rack?  Ideally I'd like bottom row 4 snapshots and top row 4 effects, could change banks on the front panel of the rack.  Obviously I'd need to label stuff manually, I.e. The same as the Helix presets
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess that would be possible but probably only for 6 switches as the mode and tap switches seem to be hard labelled without scribble strips. 
  • Well Bax have these for £515 and Thomann for £530 if some are still put off by the price! It’s interesting that we all felt it was a bargain at £450 but crossing that £500 barrier has certainly made me think twice...
  • For me, even at 540 it’s still a bargain. For me it would replace a Timeline and a Mobius as well as stop me buying a Big Sky. that alone is worth the price even before you start getting into the fact it can switch your channels, trigger midi notes on your keyboard, deepthroat you etc etc. I might be getting 2 to have on different boards. It just makes sense. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, even at 540 it’s still a bargain. For me it would replace a Timeline and a Mobius as well as stop me buying a Big Sky. that alone is worth the price even before you start getting into the fact it can switch your channels, trigger midi notes on your keyboard, deepthroat you etc etc. I might be getting 2 to have on different boards. It just makes sense. 
    For function yes I agree but for quality of sounds I do not.
    You would generally buy strymon for the quality of their sound (if you like it).

I still think it's too expensive. I got my helix lt for 550. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

its a different beast to the LT though,

removing amp modelling really wouldn't save that much money, similarly having 1 less DSP chip isn't a huge saving.

Granted the screen is a likely quite an expensive aspect of the device. but the use of scribble strips will be bumping the price on a unit that doesn't seem to have much less functionality than the LT.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    edited February 2018
    For me, even at 540 it’s still a bargain. For me it would replace a Timeline and a Mobius as well as stop me buying a Big Sky. that alone is worth the price even before you start getting into the fact it can switch your channels, trigger midi notes on your keyboard, deepthroat you etc etc. I might be getting 2 to have on different boards. It just makes sense. 
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's daft pricing at all. But dropping that much money is tough to do one one item - the psychology of getting a Helix or LT is that you're getting 'everything', and £540 would make a very decent pedalboard if you stuck to individual effects. It just makes it a bit more of a chin-scratcher - purely psychological perhaps!

And @sgosden I think @meltedbuzzbox has a point - you can use that purely as a pedalboard, have more footswitches, a bigger edit screen and an expression pedal built in at the expense of the scribble strips and the addition of all the amp stuff for very little extra.
  • I still think the £450 is the price it will be at. I think £550 is the RRP, and with it being new, the price isn't settling.

Retailers are clever and some people must have the best new item right away, despite the higher price.

Me? Well I'm patient and I don't have time anyway, so I'll wait.

• Looks like these are in stock now...529 at GAK / Gear4Music
  • It’ll drop...
  • Just picked up a b stock from Thomann for about £490.

Will post an update when it arrives...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited March 2018
    Look forward to that @mattismetal. Anyone else tried or bought one?

I'd still like to see the pricing come down. Also, this might be useful for people who were thinking of running it off their pedalboard supply and it came off the Line 6 Forum:-

Can I power HX Effects from my DC pedalboard supply?

Line 6 only officially supports operation with the included DC-3G. However, we have tried HX Effects with a number of third-party pedalboard power supplies and it can work, with the caveats mentioned below:

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: HX Effects has a lot of stuff going on under the hood and its six scribble strips and initial boot process pull more than your average pedal. Hence, we used a DC IN jack with a larger center pin to sort of disincentivize people from throwing whatever at it. The stock DC cables that come with the power supplies listed below will NOT fit. Note that Eventide does the exact same thing with their H9.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Feel free to use this FAQ as a starting point, but Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Effects with any third-party power supplies. That is, if someone writes "B-b-but Line 6 said I could use [power supply X!]," someone will hopefully refer them to this post where I make it perfectly clear that we only *officially* support our DC-3G.

That said, here's the far-from-comprehensive list and their tested noise specs:
    • Strymon Zuma R300—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-140dBr)
    • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 4x4—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-124dBr)
    • Godlyke Power-All PA-9D—Appears to work fine, but there is a bit of additional noise (-116dBr)
    • Truetone 1 SPOT (NW1CP2-US)—Appears to work fine, but there is additional noise (-103dBr)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom