Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• StefB said:
    £449 at GuitarGuitar, total steal in my opinion - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180122321373008--line-6-helix-effects
    At that price everyone else might as well go home
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    For those that wanted just one or two amp models perhaps the option of getting a couple of those new little mooer preamps and using them in the fx loops could work well? 

Mooer are launching a multi pre amp thing at NAMM with MIDI , etc. There's a video somewhere...tum the tum...

I haven't watched this properly but I think it is what I said. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    For those that wanted just one or two amp models perhaps the option of getting a couple of those new little mooer preamps and using them in the fx loops could work well? 

Been looking for a solution (a reason to buy a HX)  Have a few AMT pedals, an Amlifire Fire box, but anything I've thought of involves a pile of cables and a bit of a bodge job compared to an amp model in the HX.  Think I'm going to have to stick with my Helix for the foreseeable, which although it's great it's really too big and complex for what I need for gigs
  • I can't believe nobody has asked the most important question yet. Will the tuner be usable?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    I can't believe nobody has asked the most important question yet. Will the tuner be usable?
    The Helix one is usable.

I like my TurboTuner more (a lot more) but the Helix one works.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I can't believe nobody has asked the most important question yet. Will the tuner be usable?
    What’s wrong with the Helix tuner?
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Tuner is fine. Comes up on the scribbles strips. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• John_A said:
    sweepy said:
    I seriously doubt that it would be even in the same ballpark sonically as the H9 tbh but if they can do it for £450 I think Line 6 could have a hit on their hands
    They are different animals.
    Based on owning a helix and a h9 I would say the h9 can do everything the helix can, singular effect for singular effect. Obviously being able to engage 8 effects at once is something the h9 can't do.
    However the h9 has a wealth of patches/algorithms the helix simply doesn't have. 
    This does way more than a H9 and the H9 is £600. The format with 6 switched, and the way it integrates with an amp means one of these and an amp is your complete rig.  For those who insist on a 'real' amp it looks great
    Does more doesn't mean it's better though does it? The h9 can do so many things sound wise that the helix simply can't get near.
    For me it's about the sounds and at the moment eventide win that competition (for me). 
    I would also challenge complete rig (I really dislike that term, it's not an oil platform) as the drive pedals sound properly pony. Even the old m series struggled on that front.
    If your pursuit is for the best sounds, no multi ever covers it all, even if it does have all the bells and whistles 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    So heres a few ways you could use HXFX in your rig, some more interesting than others. 

1. Straight up multi fx into the front end.
    2. Electric guitar/ acoustic guitar switcher. Both guitars in but acoustic gets sent to different path with impulse response direct to PA. 
    3. 4 cable method. This will also do amp channel switching remember.
    4. Just fx in the loop of your amp (no tone suck)
    5. Part of a switching system (G2, Musicom etc) with some fx in one loop and others in another, pre/ post.
    6. Wet dry or wet dry wet rig. Guitar > HXFX > Amp input > FX loop send > HXFX split to other path > other amp/ amps
    7. Wet dry or wet dry wet rig with powered speakers. Guitar > HXFX > Amp input > FX loop send > HXFX split to other path with impulse responses > powered speakers.
    8. External preamp into HXFX using impulse response to go direct. Nice small direct rig with your favourite preamp pedal. I would use a Mesa V-Twin and use HXFX to change the channels on the unit. Great fly rig. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    BRISTOL86 said:
    What’s wrong with the Helix tuner?
    nothing.
    So heres a few ways you could use HXFX in your rig, some more interesting than others. 

1. Straight up multi fx into the front end.
    2. Electric guitar/ acoustic guitar switcher. Both guitars in but acoustic gets sent to different path with impulse response direct to PA. 
    3. 4 cable method. This will also do amp channel switching remember.
    4. Just fx in the loop of your amp (no tone suck)
    5. Part of a switching system (G2, Musicom etc) with some fx in one loop and others in another, pre/ post.
    6. Wet dry or wet dry wet rig. Guitar > HXFX > Amp input > FX loop send > HXFX split to other path > other amp/ amps
    7. Wet dry or wet dry wet rig with powered speakers. Guitar > HXFX > Amp input > FX loop send > HXFX split to other path with impulse responses > powered speakers.
    8. External preamp into HXFX using impulse response to go direct. Nice small direct rig with your favourite preamp pedal. I would use a Mesa V-Twin and use HXFX to change the channels on the unit. Great fly rig. 
    Number 8 appeals alot. The new Milkman, Mesa V-Twin or Gurus DD1959 would be great for this,

To be honest, I'm really thinking of ditching all my pedals and getting this. I love having an amp for live work (just because people know how to deal with amps) helix FX would take away the different boards I have for various projects and be a damn site smaller. 

Just, ya know I like pedals damn it.

But I'm really struggling to think of a reason outside of that not to buy it.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The Helix tuner was about as good as the Axe-Fx one, ie useless tbh, nowhere near as accurate as the humble clip on TC Polyrune 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    sweepy said:
    I seriously doubt that it would be even in the same ballpark sonically as the H9 tbh but if they can do it for £450 I think Line 6 could have a hit on their hands
    They are different animals.
    Based on owning a helix and a h9 I would say the h9 can do everything the helix can, singular effect for singular effect. Obviously being able to engage 8 effects at once is something the h9 can't do.
    However the h9 has a wealth of patches/algorithms the helix simply doesn't have. 
    This does way more than a H9 and the H9 is £600. The format with 6 switched, and the way it integrates with an amp means one of these and an amp is your complete rig.  For those who insist on a 'real' amp it looks great
    Does more doesn't mean it's better though does it? The h9 can do so many things sound wise that the helix simply can't get near.
    For me it's about the sounds and at the moment eventide win that competition (for me). 
    I would also challenge complete rig (I really dislike that term, it's not an oil platform) as the drive pedals sound properly pony. Even the old m series struggled on that front.
    If your pursuit is for the best sounds, no multi ever covers it all, even if it does have all the bells and whistles 
    The drive pedals sound anything but pony, they are really very good IMO, have A/B'd a few with the real thing and they are more than close enough.  Not sure what the H9 can do that the Helix /HXFX  can't but whatever it is I don't need it.  Not saying no-one does, but personally I'd go for simplicity that sounds good enough (more than good enough) over perfection with multiple units and the complexity  and expense that brings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    John_A said:
    I’m surprised so many people are asking for it with all the amps etc installed, the LT is less than £700 - the point of this is to replace a pedal board and nothing more. Also surprised that people are expecting it to have so many loops and midi etc - I’d be surprised if it had any more than two loops (or one stereo loop) and midi must be a requirement of such a small proportion of the guitar playing community that it would make sense to force them up toward either the higher end full fat helix options. 

Just my opinion, of course!

Edit - this post is as much a vent after having read multiple pages of the TGP thread on the subject. Boy do those guys know how to be dicks about a cool new product. As you were. 
    It's the footprint I like, the Helix is great, but we play some tiny pubs where it gets trampled on.  Also for most gigs I'd ba happy with less flexibility, just a few basic sounds.  It wouldn't replace my Helix, just provide an option for smaller gigs, 
    This.

Most original bands playing 3/4 or even 5 band bills simply don't have the space for something like the original Helix. I've seen a guy with a covers band using a Helix with a couple of pedals. It was like the USS Nimitz was sitting on the floor. That's why the Boss MS3 is such a clever idea.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    sweepy said:
    The Helix tuner was about as good as the Axe-Fx one, ie useless tbh, nowhere near as accurate as the humble clip on TC Polyrune 
    I used the helix tuner last night and it gave me the exact same result as my clip on poly tune. 

• Talk about burying the lead...Mooer have finally made that power amp!!!! If it's got anywhere near the headroom of the Jet City 20W amps, it's pretty much the solution to the last problem I have with my rig.
    <space for hire>
    sweepy said:
    I have never and will never understand the hatred for the helix tuner. It's absolutely fine.  If I tune with it, then check against my TU3 or clip on, it's accurate. Seriously don't understand.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

Pretty much any tuner from the last 25 years is good enough for every day use.  When you get into the heat of the action, and you are hitting strings hard, and getting a bit over excited and pressing too hard and pulling them sharp, that last fraction of a cent won't matter.

The important thing is whether you can see it under bright lights.  I've had one or two where that is a struggle.

• sweepy said:
    I have never and will never understand the hatred for the helix tuner. It's absolutely fine.  If I tune with it, then check against my TU3 or clip on, it's accurate. Seriously don't understand.

I remember on the first firmware version it was slow as ass but as you say now it is fine.
    It does struggle a little with a low B on bass though but it gets there in the end
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    John_A said:
    dindude said:
    John_A said:
    dindude said:
    Hhhhmm, only issue for me know is that by the time I build a second board around the HX, with expression, an analogue drive pedal, power etc, it's as big as a Helix LT and £100+ more. Oops! Would probably make me happier though as I still get to build a board.
    Why an analogue drive pedal?
    Unless the drives sound considerably better than the clips I've heard...
    I've ditched all my drive pedals, the Helix ones are great
    Would certainly be a neater solution if he drives are good.