Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• John_A said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Here you go:-

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than M9?
    10.8”w x 7.9”d x 2.8”h; 4.75lbs
    HX Effects is about 1/4” wider than M9 and maybe an inch deeper. It’s as small as we could possibly make it.

HX Effects Cheat Sheet (PDF): https://line6.com/da... - English .pdf
    HX Effects Owner’s Manual (PDF): https://line6.com/da... - English .pdf

If it only had an amp model it would be my perfect unit
    I think that would be a great idea. The HX to have room for maximum of 2 amp models of your choice to download.

I've just watched Andy's Reverb demo of the HX and he makes it sound really good.
    Of course, but then a lot of people wouldn't by the LT and full-fat Helixi
    I've just heard the reverbs that come with the latest firmware update...they sound mightily impressive. I think I need to try an updated Helix LT soon, into some good FRFR speakers.
    That's a lot of money for 5? Reverbs?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that would be a great idea. The HX to have room for maximum of 2 amp models of your choice to download.
    I've just watched Andy's Reverb demo of the HX and he makes it sound really good.
    HX Effects is an... effects pedal designed specifically for amp and pedal guys. We'll have more love for modeler guys later.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    @Digital_Igloo Any news on making the whammy patch better? 

That could tempt me back toward the HX
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    @Digital_Igloo Any news on making the whammy patch better? 

That could tempt me back toward the HX
    I read something about L6 hiring a couple of experts in polyphonic pitch processing 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I think that would be a great idea. The HX to have room for maximum of 2 amp models of your choice to download.
    HX Effects is an... effects pedal designed specifically for amp and pedal guys. We'll have more love for modeler guys later.
    Oooooooh :open_mouth: 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think that would be a great idea. The HX to have room for maximum of 2 amp models of your choice to download.
    When I had my M9 and was a regular visitor to the L6 forum the idea of a  couple of amp modules on the M series got mooted a lot - probably not for regular use but just so you could plug straight into the PA in event of amp failure. After all there are a fair few effects pedals that offer an emulated out of some description. Anyway, L6 never budged on this. If they stuck a couple in the HX I can't see that taking much business from the Helix ( and if it did so what those people are still buying L6) but it would make it that bit more useful to the 'amp and pedal guys.'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    I can't see that.

Far more likely there's be and HX Amp unit I'd have thought 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    When I had my M9 and was a regular visitor to the L6 forum the idea of a  couple of amp modules on the M series got mooted a lot - probably not for regular use but just so you could plug straight into the PA in event of amp failure. After all there are a fair few effects pedals that offer an emulated out of some description. Anyway, L6 never budged on this. If they stuck a couple in the HX I can't see that taking much business from the Helix ( and if it did so what those people are still buying L6) but it would make it that bit more useful to the 'amp and pedal guys.'
    TimmyO said:
    I can't see that.

Far more likely there's be and HX Amp unit I'd have thought 
    I can't see them doing it ( and making the assumption that it's even possible) it would just be a nice feature. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Yes but no matter what couple you put on it, "everyone" would complain that they were not useable/accurate/the right one for "their sound" etc...

The whole point of the M-series was that it *DID NOT* have amp modelling. It was 100% better (and more long-legged as a product) for it. If you really need a back up for your amp like that, buy a stand alone pedal amp simulator that suits you - I guarantee it'll spend most of its life in the bottom of your gig bag/case doing nothing.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it looks like Atomic think there are legs in amp modelling at different sizes.  A smaller no treadle Helix would be quite cool if Line 6 ever want to do it.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Well it looks like Atomic think there are legs in amp modelling at different sizes.  A smaller no treadle Helix would be quite cool if Line 6 ever want to do it.
    I'd buy one. And keep my Helix
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 379
    edited January 2018
    EricTheWeary said: Anyway, L6 never budged on this. If they stuck a couple in the HX I can't see that taking much business from the Helix ( and if it did so what those people are still buying L6) but it would make it that bit more useful to the 'amp and pedal guys.'
    Generally, we don't care about cannibalization. (If we cared about cannibalization of Helix, we never would've made Helix LT!) Not including amps and cabs has nothing to do with marginalizing Helix Floor/Rack/LT sales and everything to do with focusing the feature set on a specific type of user.

There are significantly more guitarists who use real amps and pedals than those who use modelers. I might suggest there are more guitarists who actively despise the very notion of amp modeling than those who embrace modelers. That is, if HX Effects had amps and cabs, it might attract fewer guitarists.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    EricTheWeary said: Anyway, L6 never budged on this. If they stuck a couple in the HX I can't see that taking much business from the Helix ( and if it did so what those people are still buying L6) but it would make it that bit more useful to the 'amp and pedal guys.'
    Generally, we don't care about cannibalization. (If we cared about cannibalization of Helix, we never would've made Helix LT!) Not including amps and cabs has nothing to do with marginalizing Helix Floor/Rack/LT sales and everything to do with focusing the feature set on a specific type of user.

There are significantly more guitarists who use real amps and pedals than those who use modelers. I might suggest there are more guitarists who actively despise the very notion of amp modeling than those who embrace modelers. That is, if HX Effects had amps and cabs, it might attract fewer guitarists.
    Indeed. Very wise.

I’ve also often thought that all some of the other manufacturers operating at the lower price point (Boss / Zoom etc) needed to do to make their products apear more upmarket was to loose the amp modelling.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited January 2018
    OK so in an A/B test, using effects only, exact same settings, 4CM into a valve amp, what would be the potential sound difference between using a Helix floor vs Helix FX?

they will sound the same won't they?

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    They do as far as I could tell

• Cabicular said:
    They do as far as I could tell

Eeeeek. That's the helix's weakest point for me, being an effects only board
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2018
    So, for the guys that already have the Helix and have used it with an amp, are you saying that by disabling the amp modelling, speaker sims etc and using it as an 'FX only' unit there's a perceived change in tone or tone suck?

I'm just trying to get an angle on this as I'd have thought by doing that, it would sound the same as the HX.

I know the Zoom Multistomps don't have the same processing power at the Helix stuff nor are they in the same league but the reason I got rid of my MS-50G and moved over to the MS-70CDR was because when I disabled the amps, ODs, compression etc, there was tone suck and a difference in sound. Not so with the FX only MS-70CDR.

Oh, I've cut out my paper template of the HX dimensions and tried it for size already on my board. He's hoping it delivers and lives up to the press as I'm hoping to keep my core drives as they were v.well together and plumb them into the unit
    EDIT: seen the new price. That's prohibitive :(
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28117
    I can't see why the same config on each unit would sound different.

If you had an amp model first in the chain and adaptive input impedance then removing the amp might change the sound depending on what was then next in the chain. And the amp modelling obviously affects the sound so it's hard to answer the question. You wouldn't normally use amp modelling if you're using a physical amp as well, surely?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2018
    Sporky said:
     You wouldn't normally use amp modelling if you're using a physical amp as well, surely?
    Sometimes I would when going into a dull clean amp at a studio or to get a different flavour of amp, but in the main, no.  All I'm saying is that I just removed them all from the chain leaving the pure effects, like modulations, delays, reverbs and it didn't sound great on the Zoom MS-50G.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Sporky said:
    You wouldn't normally use amp modelling if you're using a physical amp as well, surely?
    Depends on what you need. I've used 4cm and had it so I can switch to a preamp model into the power amp of the Mesa for a different tone. Works great. 

FWIW, I have encountered no tone suck at all using Helix in 4CM. If anything, it's improved the tone. Can't imagine why HXFX would be different. I'll let you know when I get one. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.