Fender CS 69 Strat Pickups - user opinions please

ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
I'm looking from some pickups for my first strat that I'm putting together. I know this is all very subjective until you actually stick  them in and play through your own setup but, I'd like to hear from anyone that has used this set or similar voiced PU

I'm not specifically after a late 60's sound but I do want something that the best way to describe it is 'airy' and very touch responsive for mainly recording and home paying. Really want to stay away from any pickups that are thick in the midrange or break up quickly. 

On paper the CS69's sound like they might be a good fit, but fear they may be a little bit too thin and bland maybe?

Recommendations and thoughts appreciated, cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mojo pickups. Talk to Marc and he will wind you what you want
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It sounds to me like you're describing an early-mid sixties set to me. The 'Are You Experienced'/'Axis' clean sound.
  • I had CS69s in a CS strat and was underwhelmed
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    This clip is the closest I've found for an example of what I'm looking for. 
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    I have them and very happy with them - very dynamic, mellow but aggressive after break up and fairly close to how you described your needs. But many factors obviously... 

This vid probably best captures it and all those 2014 ‘64 relics at wildwoods YouTube have the 69s.

https://youtu.be/wOaXp5Bqm9A

• FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    I have one in the middle pickup, sounds great. Prefer fat 50s in the neck though and something hotter in the bridge.

But yea, for the middle I like them  :#
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I had CS69 pickups and was very much whelmed.
    I realise this is not much help but what is really?
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I have them and think they’re the best Strat pickups I’ve had yet. Clear, low-output, woody. Proper. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    obviously popular due to Hendrix (amongst others) and the late 60's big headstock models - The least powerful of all Fender pick-ups but it is not always about power as that alone doesn't describe the tone - Scooped mids which as a result will emphasis the highs and lows, so very crisp and clear/transparent and you mentioned above about wanting less mids - can be very soft and luxurious - In the neck/middle I'm a fan - I know Jimi had one in the bridge pick-up as well , but if I was being critical then that is the one position I'd choose a slightly full sounding and hotter pick-up

On clean and more subtle blues/rock overdrive they sound lush - on hi-gain a bit fizzy, so maybe less is more IMO regarding gain - They are responsive - I certainly wouldn't say they are bland but the finer nuances of any pick up is a matter of taste

guys like John Mayer make a big fuss about such pick-ups in his Strat with a similar tonal character
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I’ve got a set in bitsa Strat. Love them... really nice clean tone and they stay clear and distinct even when they’re put through overdrive. The inbetween tone is nice and quacky. I’ve had several  Strats over the years, including Fender US and Custom shop models, and this one has the most what I’d consider archetypal Strat-like tones of all of them. 
  • Zoolooter said:
    This clip is the closest I've found for an example of what I'm looking for. 
    I just put them in a new build and I love them. They sound just like the one in this video. FWIW I’ve found them best with a Princeton Reverb. Also, try them with 50s wiring. It makes them a little more direct, and adds dynamics. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
    Far too much reverb in that clip to really hear those pickups properly.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Had them, loved them
  • Why not go for Kleins that he's using in the clip?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Why not go for Kleins that he's using in the clip?
    Don't really want to spend £280 once shipping and import tax are included 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    I had them in a CP60’s, brilliant
  • Zoolooter said:
    Why not go for Kleins that he's using in the clip?
    Don't really want to spend £280 once shipping and import tax are included 

That is understandable :-)

What about @TheGuitarWeasel 's equivalents? His Masterwound ones look good to me.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

I had some from a classic player and didn't bond with them.  I found them quite nice but a bit thin sounding. 

Bulldog Sweet 62's were probably the best lower output ones I've had.