Possible Tele Project - Thoughts?

darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding
Hi All,

I own two Telecasters at the minute, a Squier classic vibe which is one of my favourites, and this Indie Guitars one I bought years ago, that gets a bit neglected.

I was thinking it could make a project to turn into something a bit unique and get into modding a bit.  Particularly paging @Bridgehouse ;; and @alnico for their thoughts but also anyone with input or who knows these guitars.

The body is a lovely colour I'd keep the same, though it is quite heavy.  I also really like the neck.  So a project could be to...

Replace all the hardware, tuners, bridge plate, control plate and controls etc with more conventional chrome versions.
Get rid of the pickguard (its gone all wibbly) and replace with something more subtle.
Put in a proper lipstick pickup and potentially a better humbucker or more likely a proper tele bridge pickup.

Or should I try and just TLC it back to life with some polishing, cleaning, new strings and general TLC, in which case how do you un-wibbly a pickguard?

All thoughts welcome, pic below...

https://s26.postimg.org/6li15mcy1/20180120_132722.jpg
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2018
    There's nothing wrong with modifying that guitar, if I had the choice then I would too IF and only IF you're happy with the body and neck. It all starts there. If not, then move it on or use the Squier as a platform if that Feels better.

The only thing that would make me cautious with the 'Indie' is that bridge plate. There's a chance that your replacement might not be the exact same size and that might look odd.
    A local Chrome Plating business should do you a great deal on re-chroming it if you ask and offer to pay cash?
    The pickguard and parts are all easily do-able but it should all go onto a body and neck you really like or stop and get one that you do first, then buy parts for that.

Is that any help Ed?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    It is thanks!
    No problem.
    I'm sure there are many other ways and I know there are many others who know more than me about this but if you start with something you fundamentally love then the ancillaries are really just "Sweeten to taste", in whatever way those parts work.

Might sound weird but the colour of a guitar has always affected how I feel about it and how I play it.
    I've never been able to work out why.

Borrow my Tele for a week if you want to?
    Might give you a good benchmark if you like anything about mine?
    Alnico said:
    Thanks for the offer, this is a very different kind of beast though, it's heavy for a tele, yours I thought exceptionally light, what was it made of again?
    Alnico said:
    Thanks for the offer, this is a very different kind of beast though, it's heavy for a tele, yours I thought exceptionally light, what was it made of again?
    Mine is made from 'Obeche' and it is very light.

The reason I asked was that you said the weight of yours might be too much and if you spend some time playing a lightweight Tele, it might help you decide whether the extra weight of yours is a good or bad thing.
    If you like the lighter feel of mine and you decide on a different body for yours, you know what to aim for and what it will feel like.
    You may end up going back to the heavy Tele and realising that you like that more than you previously thought.

Up to you man, you know where it is if you want to come and play it here or borrow it and take it home. At the moment, with what's going on at home, none of them are getting played much so it's not a bad time to do it.

Lemme know.
    :)
    Thanks man. I might well take you up on that.

I'm going to try and do a full polish and re-string job on this Indie, and listen to some new vinyl this afternoon, see if I can get it good enough I don't want to take it to bits! :)