Who Will Pay (Burglar Alarm System)?

What's Hot
Last night after a gig I got home with the foolish idea that I could relax for an hour before going to bed. I heard a bloody annoying alert tone from the Burglar Alarm System. I got it to stop and found the fault in the system as "Siren 1 Wireless Battery Low" or something to that effect.

Called the Company this morning and they said it is likely to be the Battery in the Alarm Siren Box outside, which is fine, but, the Battery should have a 3 year life span, the Engineer stated this himself. I've only had the system installed for just over a year (Jan 5th 2017), so maybe just outside warranty.

Engineer is coming Monday, which is OK as I can still set the alarm. Thing is, will I be charged for a new Battery/Part? Have I an argument that the original battery was inadequate and therefore should be replaced free of charge?

No one has said they are or aren't charging me or what work will need doing, but I'd like to know my rights on the matter.

Thank you.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What does the paperwork say? Anything else is speculation. IME batteries are not covered by warranties but my alarm service contract covers replacement at annual service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    edited January 2018
    Is it a standard battery which you could buy and fit yourself?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Battery’s tend to be classed as consumable items because they can and do fail at anytime regardless of how long they should last.  

While your battery should have a 3 year life span I’ll bet the guarantee for it was only 3 months or so.
  • Thanks folks. Only just had the annual service as well @Moe_Zambeek ;

I know the sensors in the house take 3 volt lithium batteries, not sure about the siren box, I'll have to check, but gaffer at work may have some batteries he can give me.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Ask them?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Is this an Infinite by chance ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    edited January 2018
    Apologies for the obvious question however have you had any activations over the last year (tests or otherwise?). Only reason being is that the lifespan is probably based on the alarm being dormant. As soon as the alarm is activated and the siren sounds that lifespan is probably reduced considerably. Had similar problem on install for family members where the battery always seemed to expire faster than expected.

Fingers crossed it is covered. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Just threaten to leave their monitoring service they will pay for the battery.
  • @jrc2806 Good question. It has had it's annual test recently which involves it setting off a couple of times and also the alarm has gone off a few more times as the house is being decorated and we had to take sensors off walls which led to the tamper facility setting it off.

I'll put money on it that the alarm hasn't sounded (collectively) for more than a total of 5 minutes though. The Engineer I spoke on the phone to seems to think it hasn't lasted long enough. I think the battery is not a standard one @Roland ;

@spark240 What is an Infinite, is that a brand of Alarm System? The equipment of mine is all Pyronix Stuff.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    @jrc2806 Good question. It has had it's annual test recently which involves it setting off a couple of times and also the alarm has gone off a few more times as the house is being decorated and we had to take sensors off walls which led to the tamper facility setting it off.

I'll put money on it that the alarm hasn't sounded (collectively) for more than a total of 5 minutes though. The Engineer I spoke on the phone to seems to think it hasn't lasted long enough. I think the battery is not a standard one @Roland ;

@spark240 What is an Infinite, is that a brand of Alarm System? The equipment of mine is all Pyronix Stuff.
    Yes...Infinite Prime is a popular wireless alarm, I have one, its not great either.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited January 2018
    @jrc2806 Good question. It has had it's annual test recently which involves it setting off a couple of times and also the alarm has gone off a few more times as the house is being decorated and we had to take sensors off walls which led to the tamper facility setting it off.

I'll put money on it that the alarm hasn't sounded (collectively) for more than a total of 5 minutes though. The Engineer I spoke on the phone to seems to think it hasn't lasted long enough. I think the battery is not a standard one @Roland ;;

Pyronix is decent kit. I could be talking bollocks here but I’m pretty sure our bell is hardwired with a battery backup. 

If yours is battery only (and eating them) it might be worth looking at hard wiring it? I absolutely see the value in wireless sensors but the bell doesn’t need to be wireless.

Our system is 2 years old in May and I’m calling the fitter (my mate) back to give it a once over and replace any batteries etc. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Not sure about the bell box @Iamnobody the sensors and the control panel are Pyronix stuff though. You might be right about getting it hard wired, we'll see what he says tomorrow.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Bell and box should be hardwired sensors on batteries which usually last two years depending on frequency / sensitivity
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    capo4th said:
    Bell and box should be hardwired sensors on batteries which usually last two years depending on frequency / sensitivity
    Yeah that’s my understanding of our system and hence me getting them checked out in May. 

However, I think you can go wireless on the bell but as we were replacing an existing wired system the kit was in situ to hardwire.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • So, I was surprised to see that the Security company have seen my side of the issue and they have charged me only for the 2 Batteries that go in the box.

These.

https://i.imgur.com/7oUa67k.jpg

£15 for a pair of them. I'm assuming I got those at cost too, I'm pretty sure their normal charge would have a big mark up on them.

I didn't have to pay what would have been a £65 call out charge. I would have been gutted if I had. I think it's worth figuring how to do these maintenance jobs myself. Might get the Bell Box hardwired some point down the line.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Good and the correct result:)