Camera phone

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

It struck me as I was out walking today that I could be taking some nice pics as I go....

Could some of you nice fellas recommend a mobile phone  with a decent camera?

Not lookin' tae take close ups of wildlife or anything just some general local country side scenes

Is there anything out there that is a little bit special for the cost and is numpty proof? 

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mmm I would say unless you are going high end you are better off getting a good compact which of course will probably not be taken out with you at all times..

but saying that you are helped by only wanting countryside scenes so short to mid distance detail not an issue.

I have an iPhone X which IMO has a bloody excellent camera, so much so that although not as good as the Panasonic LX7 I always carried around with me it is good enough that I sold the LX7 last week.

whats ya budget?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Yeah not thinkin' of high end at all really.....I just goggled iphone x prices and sprayed my monitor with a mouthful of Scotch broth.....
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hoots you could buy an iPod as they also have pretty decent cameras on them too.  
    checking that out Bing...:)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Depends what quality you want. I'm not a photographer though I do like to use my smartphone frequently to capture shots. I have a Moto G5 Plus which cost £250. I'm happy with most images, but it isn't great for low light or zoom.

If you can push the budget I think the Moto X4 has a better camera - https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-x-gen-4
    Depends what quality you want. I'm not a photographer though I do like to use my smartphone frequently to capture shots. I have a Moto G5 Plus which cost £250. I'm happy with most images, but it isn't great for low light or zoom.

If you can push the budget I think the Moto X4 has a better camera - https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-x-gen-4

just saw this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Single-Black/dp/B01GZZK95O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516466518&sr=1-1&keywords=moto+g4+plus

tae be or not tae be
  • hootsmon said:
    Depends what quality you want. I'm not a photographer though I do like to use my smartphone frequently to capture shots. I have a Moto G5 Plus which cost £250. I'm happy with most images, but it isn't great for low light or zoom.

just saw this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Single-Black/dp/B01GZZK95O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516466518&sr=1-1&keywords=moto+g4+plus

The G4 is the previous model to what I have. The cameras are OK, if you're not too fussy about the quality of the images. If you're only grabbing a snap of things then I reckon it's fine. People who complain about phone cameras generally want really nice images in which case they'd usually be better off carrying a camera as per @strumjoughlamps reply above - his iPhone X is mega expensive but not as good as a compact camera. Ultimately, phone cameras are a compromise. The biggest downside for me is not the image quality, but the fact that it can take a little while to open the camera app and to trigger the capture. The Moto G5 improves this with a shortcut by double tapping the power button and then you're ready.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited January 2018
    If you already have a smartphone but simply want a better camera, then get a compact camera - something like the Canon IXUS 190, Sony Cybershot W800, or an old Panasonic DMC-FS45.

In my opinion, the Panasonic FS45 takes better pictures than the Canon IXUS 190. I've only used the Sony in PC World so I cannot vouch for its picture quality..

The Canon and Sony have a higher resolution than the Panasonic, 20MP compared to 16MP.

The pictures in my New York holiday, and Denmark Street threads were all taken with a Panasonic FS45. There is one on eBay right now, but there are already 5 bids on it. 

I always carry the Panasonic with me (protected in a flat, soft case). It is small and totally unobstrusive in a jeans or jacket pocket. 

On the smart phone front, Motorola will be releasing the Moto G6 and G6 Plus next month.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited January 2018
    I’m wondering at this point if you want a replacement phone too - are you going to use it to make calls, or are you just after taking pics?

If it’s the latter I’d say you’re better off with a dedicated compact. I have a Ricoh I bought ten or more years ago for around a hundred quid that still takes photos as good as an average modern smartphone. I imagine if you did the same today you’d get image quality which would surpass that of even the most high-end blower. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    rocktron said:

On the smart phone front, Motorola will be releasing the Moto G6 and G6 Plus next month.
    I'm kind of waiting for that.  I've had a Moto G (ridiculous value when new, like £99), and then a Moto G3 (about £150) which I still use now but it has gotten clunky in the last few months.
    The G range is not the bargain it once was, but I like the cameras on them, and the basic Android (although apparently Lenovo aren't so generous when it comes to software updates as Motorola were).
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I have a Nokia 8, new Nokia launch priced to grab share, i.e high spec low cost, built well.
    Has twin 16mp cameras on the back with Zeiss lenses so you can get some pretty good pictures. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    Pixel 2 has the best camera on the market right now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • this one works for me

https://i.imgur.com/r1jer2v.jpg

• but ive just upgraded to a newer model

https://i.imgur.com/nE4SQks.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    My mate really rates the camera on his Huawei P9.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    edited January 2018
    For thirty odd quid, you could get an older spec Sony compact camera.  Just thinking that if you didn't want to spend hundreds on a phone, it might be a better option?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W310 12.1MP Digital Camera + 4GB Memory and Accessories

Back in 2009, I bought one for taking to NYC.  The camera is tiny, but capable of some really good images.

https://imgur.com/a/eJ1J0

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Or in the OP’s case “och aye phone” lol
    I love my brick
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    The camera is pretty good on the iphone 6s if you don't want to spend silly money. you should be able to pick one up for a decent price I would have thought.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7841
    6SPlus has the best camera of the iPhone 6 based range. It’s better than the iPhone 7 camera (according to professional photographers chum). 

The 8Plus has a stonking camera.  Portrait mode is excellent.