4x12 - castors vs floor

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

I'm getting a bit fed up lifting my 4x12 in and out the the house/van/venue's every week or so, and am thinking about sticking some castors in the bottom!

What effect will this have on the sound? Anything really that noticeable? Worth the back-breaking effort of leaving them off??

Cheers

Keir

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited March 2014
    I personally think cabs sound better with castors on.  It stops the cab coupling with the floor and gives a more controlled and consistent bass response since you're not really including the effects of the floor type.

It is definitely not worth injuring yourself because of guitar cabs!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I personally think cabs sound better with castors on.  It stops the cab coupling with the floor and gives a more controlled and consistent bass response since you're not really including the effects of the floor type.

It is definitely not worth injuring yourself because of guitar cabs!
    +1 on both counts.

Even the small difference of a few inches of castor height reduces the floor coupling and makes the cab sit better in the mix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    I've made trolleys for mine.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Best of both worlds, make a dolley out of 3/4 ply with castors and they can be nice big, chunky ones that will ride over thresholds and small steps/cobbles. 

Attach to the cab with industrial velcro (HobbyCraft) then you can rip it orf if you think it is altering the sound (and I think it will, for the better!) or to fit in the van.

BTW the "loop" side of Velcro sticks well to the sort of carpet tiles you get in pubs, clubs and offices. Stops mains diss boxes walking about!

Dave.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    If you do attach them to the cab rather than a dolly, bolt them on with oversized washers. Don't attach them with wood screws like the idiot guitar player I worked with a few years back. When they ripped out, they took big chunks of his MDF Marshall cab with them!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    viz said:
    Trousers?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I actually use my cabs as trolleys.. works a treat
    play every note as if it were your first
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I'm fairly sure that's the wrong trousers.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Lixarto said:
    viz said:
    Trousers?

yep, they stop my amp sounding pants.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom