SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

When is the "best" time to sell a guitar?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
Is there a busy buying period or is it a case of advertse it and the buyers will come?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited January 2018
    It will depend on the guitar you are selling - rarity, value and demand all come into play.

You could broadly say a lot of people are short of disposable income in Jan after being hit in the wallet over the festive period.

Or you might find the oppsite someone has received Xmas money and they are looking to buy.

A beginner guitar might sell easier in the run up to Xmas.

However if someone’s looking to spunk five figures or more on a guitar I doubt time of year even comes into play.

Just advertise and see...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    Night time is the right time. Usually after 11pm when buyer is loaded.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    4:36 pm on a Friday 
  • Especially if it's a Tele ..

• DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    when you need the money or when you realise you don't play it very much
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    7.30 pm . . .  I’m sorry . . . Ive just watched Ronnie Corbett on YouTube . . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    It's usually when the buyer is looking for what you are selling and is willing to pay something close to your price. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    If it has some kind of artist association and the artist has just died....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Not now - It's really difficult to sell anything unless you're willing to go down to bargain prices.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    JezWynd said:
    I have made most of my deals at this time. Usually as the wife has gone to bed and work depression is kicking in. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    When you get the eBay message offering "only pay a maximum of £3 when you sell".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    edited January 2018
    JezWynd said:

If I’m selling anything on ebay, my auctions always finish on a Friday or Saturday night at 9pm, for the same reason :)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited January 2018
    JezWynd said:
    Friday and Saturday night are great selling times, the downside is they are also great buying times and its very easy to be on the other side of the equation and wake up to find you’ve spent quite a bit haha
  • List on eBay 8pm Thursday for 10 days, this finishes on a Sunday evening after tea when everyone is pissed off about having to go to work the next day. Another plus is that you get 2 weekends viewing in that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Schnozz said:
    Not now - It's really difficult to sell anything unless you're willing to go down to bargain prices.
    I don't see it like that ;
    There is NEVER going to be a time when secondhand prices unilaterally lift 20 % across the board ............ultimately the value is what anybody is prepared to pay at any given time.
    It's all swings and roundabouts .........you rarely win on both ...if you are selling and buying other gear then you should get a correspondingly decent bargain when you buy
    Sadly not so good if you are selling up and downsizing/ hanging up your guitar strap but putting it away for a couple of years isn't going to make any significant difference other than stop you using the money for something else.Life's too short.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    We always see more For Sale threads in January, with a lot of sellers mentioning their empty pockets. This year I’ve also noticed a surge in WTB threads. New year resolutions, or simply long dark evenings, may also be a cause. So the post Christmas cash shortage is counter balanced to some extent.

Personally I expect lower priced guitars to hang around in January and February because of peoples cash situation, but higher priced guitars to be less affected because, as I think someone has already said, they tend to get bought by people with more money to spare. So seasonal impact is different for different items.

Having said all this, if a guitar hangs around then it may eventually go for a lower price. So I would have thought March to June was a good time to sell. Christmas debts have been paid off, and holiday saving hasn’t kicked in. Then a shorter window around October.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I just sold an American Special Strat for £20 less than I paid for it (new) about 8 months or so ago.

Just list speculatively on ebay, you never know!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    About a month before you inadvertantly knock over your guitar breaking the headstock.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    JezWynd said:
    Friday and Saturday night are great selling times, the downside is they are also great buying times and its very easy to be on the other side of the equation and wake up to find you’ve spent quite a bit haha
    My experience has been that Friday evening is a good time to sell, Saturday evening not so much. Sunday evening is a good time to end your auction. For picking up bargains, I've found Saturday and Sunday mornings are good - possibly when seller awakes and realises how much cash they trashed the previous evening.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited January 2018
    My impression is used guitars are going for a good bit more than they were a year or two ago.  I missed out on a couple Tom Andersons on Ebay in the past couple of months despite bidding around 25-30% more than the same guitars had gone for in previous transactions.  I was pretty confident because in my mind I was willing to pay above market rate to get something I really wanted, but I'd reckoned without a shift in the market.

I accept that the market for TAs is a bit niche and may not be indicative of the market generally, but those experiences and the asking prices I'm seeing in general make me think used guitar prices have gone up, at least at the higher end. 

I suspect what we've had is a lag period when price hikes on new instruments  were not flowing through to the used market, and that that's coming to an end.

I still think the market's pretty sluggish, people are understandably reluctant to buy guitars that were significantly cheaper not so long ago, but when sales are being made they're for higher prices.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”