Floyd Rose nut alternative

What's Hot
I have a frankencaster I built some time ago that has a Strat body with a standard Strat trem. The neck was (I think) off a Kramer which originally had a Floyd Rose fitted so I used a Floyd Rose locking nut. I don’t use the locking caps as when you tighten them after tunning it puts it out of tune.
For aesthetic reasons I’d like to change the nut to something else (bone, roller ect). Is there anything that will drop straight in with out major work or is going to cost me a fortune as I’d have to take it to a luthier? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    There used to be a drop in replacement but last time I looked they were hard to find.

i tend to use a normal nut with a new bit of wood fitted behind
    It was the ABM 7092 ebanol nut.  Doesn’t look like it’s easy to get anymore
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Stupid question - why change the nut at all?

Just tale the locking blocks off - if the metalwork is uncomfortably high then file it down.

Any examples of what you've mentioned @WezV ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    floyd nuts work well when locked, but its a lot of friction and an inaccurate slot to use without the blocks 

this is the ebanol replacement

this is one i am working on at the mo

this is a filler piece taken from a scrap neck, but if i didn't have that i would just shape a peice of rosewood from scratch.  this pic is glued in place before trimming back and recutting the slot

you can just fit a normal nut and not worry about the aesthetics

looks like this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the replies. Looking like it’s a standard nut with an infill behind. Need to keep my eyes open for a suitable piece of timber to fill the gap