Pedal Board Clock

What's Hot
nariuspnariusp Frets: 3
If like me you need to keep track of the time when you're gigging there are limited and expensive options for having a clock on your pedal-board. The only one I have seen costs $55 (USD). So I solved the problem by using an old spare smart phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and an Android clock app. I just glued the phone with hot glue to the pedal board and it does the trick nicely and naturally the battery lasts for ages. Job done, phone recycled, money saved...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Tell you what's even cheaper...

A watch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I wouldn’t mind a pedalboard clock - easier to glance at than my watch ( which also might look like I’m a bit bored). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    Amazon’s got you covered for £1.86 delivered. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009LWEZ4U/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516493050&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=car+clock&dpPl=1&dpID=41DpBOdAe1L&ref=plSrch

Its digital though, which may offend an all analogue board.... hehehe. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skunwerx - Good call but I don't think that one will work very well in the dark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Slimbert said:
    Tell you what's even cheaper...

A watch.
    Yes we all have a watch but generally you can't easily look at it when you're playing and you might want to know if you have time for that one more song before the break. Also I'm not saying buy a mobile phone I'm saying most people have an old spare lying around they can use instead of getting rid of it.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    Doesn’t the screen go to sleep if you haven’t touched it for a few seconds? And if it stays on, doesn’t that kill the battery?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26926
    I'm really surprised none of the tuner people have thought of making a pedal tuner with a mode that shows a clock when it's bypassed. 

It seems hugely obvious for the gigging guitar player
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Doesn’t the screen go to sleep if you haven’t touched it for a few seconds? And if it stays on, doesn’t that kill the battery?
    Hi - no it stays on as long as you set it to stay on, plus some apps allow you to stop the phone going to sleep. The battery is good enough to keep the screen on for a few hours as long as the phone is not doing anything else, in my case it's a spare phone so it's doing nothing else (no sim, no mobile data, no wifi, no other apps running)
  • I'm really surprised none of the tuner people have thought of making a pedal tuner with a mode that shows a clock when it's bypassed. 

It seems hugely obvious for the gigging guitar player
    Yes absolutely! I've also considered that, it's an obvious place for a clock and a shame none of them do that.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    Ah, ok - thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good use for an otherwise worthless device then.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I always use my phone. I usually just update it when the old one brakes so I can't use the old for the pedalboard...
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I have a cheap plastic battery powered clock for gigs. It's either sat atop the amp or laid on the pedal board (sixe about 2.5" sq and 1" deep). Clear as anything. Had it many years and it probably cost less than a fiver.
    I've not worn a watch for decades and when I did I always took it off to play guitar, who wants to risk scratching the neck on a hard sharp metal thing!

• Yes seen that one and thought $55 is a bit much for a clock, but it does the job I guess.