C18Q1 Building a Multi Pedal - Tapey, modulated spacey fun

What's Hot
I've had a Multiplex PCB from 1776 effects in my build pile for almost a year now and I should really get round to doing something with it.  Before I get started here's a description of the Multiplex from Josh at 1776 effects

The Multiplex Echo Machine is based on tape delays of the past. It has selectable “modes” that recreate a good approximation of the delay’s they emulate. It also includes a control for on the fly tape speed manipulation, allowing the repeats to speed up or slow down while pressing and releasing the footswitch. . 

Binson Mode : This simulates just one of the many cool things about the Binson Echorec. You can get one long repeat and then subsequent repeats of that note are repeated faster. 

RE-201 Mode : This simulates the dual rhythmic repeats of an RE-201 Space Echo. To best utilize this mode, Delay 1’s time should be shorter than Delay 2’s time. Once you get the hang of it you can find the rhythmic sweet spots pretty quick. 

EP-3 Mode : This simulates the classic Echoplex. Nothing crazy, just a normal delay setup using only one of the PT2399’s.

As I said I've had this pcb for almost a year now along with a pcb to add modulation and for a laugh I thought I'd add a reverb pedal and an EP3 preamp into the same box for a modulated style echoplex which also has reverb.  In this thread I'll cover the planning stage (full disclosure I've never built a pedal with 4 separate circuits before so I definitely need to plan it), drilling, finishing the enclosure, populating then testing the pcbs, wiring it all up in the enclosure and then a demo video to show how it sounds.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Following this so I can learn. Need pics, though... ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Just watched the demo vid for their complete pedal (available here for anybody interested), and it sounds immense.
    Might have to order myself one of those PCBs.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    So I already have the multiplex and modulation pcbs now I need to decide which reverb and preamp circuits to fit in there.  Then I can start planning layouts etc to see how large an enclosure I’ll need and how it will all fit.  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Might be nice to try the pre after the delay so you can get a more compressed "delay into hot amp" option. I used to get some good sounds using a Timmy clone with light gain after delay. 
    Might be nice to try the pre after the delay so you can get a more compressed "delay into hot amp" option. I used to get some good sounds using a Timmy clone with light gain after delay. 
    Interesting idea.  Seeing as I’m adding so much stuff to this I might as well put in a switch to ‘switch’ the order of effects so I can have Preamp before delay or after. 

I’ve gone ahead and ordered the rest of my pcbs so for anyone who might want to build their own I’ll be using 

1776 multiplex delay
    http://1776effects.com/product/multiplex-echo-machine/
    1776 multiplex modulation add on
    http://1776effects.com/product/mp-modulation-add-on-pcb/

I decided to go with Josh’s rub a dub deluxe reverb which uses the new adjustable Belton brick and adds a tone control.
    http://1776effects.com/product/rub-a-dub-deluxe/

For the Preamp I’ve ordered the Aion electronics Ares pcb based on the Clinchfx version of the echoplex preamp. 
    https://aionelectronics.com/project/ares-echoplex-ep3-preamp/

All of the switching will be on opto tron boards also by 1776 effects though I already had these in my stash.
    http://1776effects.com/product/opto-tron-optical-bypass/

Now I know what I’m going to use I’ll grab the build docs and work out what size enclosure I’m going to need and any other parts which I don’t have in my stash.  
    I made quite a bit of progress this afternoon.  I printed out the drill templates from the build docs and decided to go with a Hammond 1550g enclosure partly because it will give me tons of space and partly because I already had one in my stash I was going to use it for an all in one board in a box style pedal which is currently on hold so pinched it for this instead. 

I have some templates I got from the madbean forum for different enclosure sizes and step one was to cut, paste and resize the drill templates from each pcb onto it to work out where everything will go.

It looks like the preamp pcb on the right is hitting the multiplex pcb but it will be raised higher in the enclosure so they both fit just fine.  This layout will also let me use top mounted jacks and dc socket.

Once I was happy with the layout and placed drill points for everything I mocked up how it will look when finished minus the graphic for the top I genuinely don't know what I'm going to go with yet.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I turned the mock up into a drill template stuck it to the enclosure and centre punched everything

Then drilled some 3mm pilot holes

Why is there always one little bugger who ends up slightly out of alignment?  3rd in from the left on the bottom row!  It wont be as noticeable when everything is taken out to it's proper size and finished but damn it's annoying.

Here's everything taken out to it's proper size and ready for a decal and envirotex.

That's all I can do with the enclosure for now until I decide what graphics I want to use and pour some envirotex on it.  Now I can move onto populating the pcbs I already have while waiting for the others to arrive.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    • Drilling all holes in advance of putting in the PCBS is scary to me. How much wriggle room is there if a hole is slightly out of line?
    • Did you order those PCBs from the States? Do you have to pay import duty, shipping and other fees?
    I always drill the holes in advance the holes will hold your pots in place so you can solder them onto the pcb and you know everything will definitely fit your enclosure.

yeah the reverb and preamp pcbs were ordered from the states and will probably take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive.  I can’t remember the last time I paid any vat on pcbs to be honest the total is usually under the £15 limit.  
    Ah, so you put the pots in situ and then solder them onto the PCB! Good thinking!
    Yup you’re guaranteed everything’s going to fit then as long you got your initial dimensions right on your mock up.  That’s why I import the drill templates into gimp most pcb sellers will list the size of the pcb so copy and paste it in then scale to that size and you’re golden.  
    I made a bit more progress on this tonight.  I was playing with the graphics after dinner and quite like this audio wave pulse kind of thing I have.  It’s pretty hard to photograph but looks mega in the flesh I’m really happy with it.  

I printed it on self adhesive silver inkjet paper so all of the words and border are actually silver not white.  I basically just need to babysit it now until I stop getting any runs or drips and to make sure nothing lands on it.  There’s nothing worse than checking on an enclosure the next day and seeing a hair which has landed on the surface before it set.  Once I’m happy it can be left alone I’ll let it sit for about a week to cure then drill the envirotex out of the holes.  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:
    I made a bit more progress on this tonight.

"A bit" - what! That would have taken me two days! Looking good. :-)
    Philtre said:
    Adam_MD said:
    I made a bit more progress on this tonight.

"A bit" - what! That would have taken me two days! Looking good. :-)
    Lol it’s not that much work.  Once you print your decal just cut it out, stick it on, cut out the holes with a sharp knife the then tape the holes up from behind. Mix your envirotex then pour and babysit for an hour or 2.  

It’s much less work than when I used to try and clear coat things with some sort of lacquer.  My spray jobs also looked a lot worse.  
    Adam_MD said:

It’s much less work than when I used to try and clear coat things with some sort of lacquer.  My spray jobs also looked a lot worse.  
    As I'm currently finding out the hard way... ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    All of my parts had arrived and I finished work early today so spent a few hours moving this on a bit.  The reverb is finished and tested, the delay just needs the socketed parts installed (I want to experiment with a few values) and the modulation and preamp just need their pots wired up.  Then I'll get the footswitches, jacks etc installed and the final placement of the pcbs in the enclosure sorted out.  It'll probably be this weekend before I have time to get back to it but another few hours work will probably finish it.  I'm really looking forward to playing with this one.

I've attached a couple of progress shots so you can see where I'm at now.

Oh and I just noticed I  need to cut the rotary shaft down to size.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looking good!

When you said, "Once you print your decal just cut it out, stick it on," - how do you stick the decal on the enclosure? And what printer and paper do you use?
    edited February 2018
    It’s self adhesive inkjet paper Phil.  I’ve got a few different types which I use on different enclosures - white, clear, silver and gold.  Just print out your design peel off the backing and stick it down then either spray a clear coat or pour epoxy resin over it to protect it.    

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000W4H63S/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1517960945&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX195_SY281_QL65&keywords=self+adhesive+inkjet+paper&dpPl=1&dpID=31ilrOvq%2B0L&ref=plSrch

The decal on this tape delay is printed on silver paper which gives the purple colour printed over it a nice shimmer.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is looking really good.  I built a Multiplex a while ago and it's a very good delay.
    Haven't tried a multi-pedal yet, so this thread is quite interesting.
    @Adam_MD I'm going to give Envirotex a try, but it seems quite pricey. Any suggestions for UK suppliers? And tips for what not to do? ;-)