Accutune failing

What's Hot
enteeentee Frets: 93
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding
When I was 16 I bought my very first guitar - Vox Standard 24 - and loved it: still do.  After 6 months or so I fancied a tremelo so had a Accutune fitted (see pics).  Over the last 25 or so years, the mechanism has slowly started to fail - I had the springs replaced 10 years ago, but it could be doing it again.
My question is, is it worth just getting the springs replaced again, or is there a 'better' system I could put in the FR's place?

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    That's not a Floyd Rose, it's what people (possibly incorrectly) refer to as an Accutune. They were fitted to Marlins and similar in the mid/late 80s(?)

A Kahler might have a similar footprint, but anything based on the Strat trem, including Floyds/Wilkinsons etc. would be quite a big routing job. Any good tech would do it though if you're not up for that sort of diy
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Sorry apologies, not a FR....don't post when hung over  lol
    Yes it would have been fitted in about 1984.  I don't really want to start routing into the guitar, just make work what I already have or fit a similar. 
    Thanks for the info  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    If it's just the springs stretching and you're happy with it otherwise, get them replaced if you can. I doubt anything apart from a direct replacement would be a 'no woodwork required' job
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    FatPete said:
    If it's just the springs stretching and you're happy with it otherwise, get them replaced if you can. I doubt anything apart from a direct replacement would be a 'no woodwork required' job
    It does its job very well, most of the time, so it hasn't broken which I know they are prone to do.  Guess I am lucky that after 35 years it still works.  I'll get the springs changed again  :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I think I have a chrome one of those somewhere, I think it’s pretty much unused
    WezV said:
    I think I have a chrome one of those somewhere, I think it’s pretty much unused
    Could you have a look please @WezV ?  Might be better to completely change it out, if that is possible.  Cheers, Nick
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    By an odd coincidence there's a guitar in the shop right now with one which has gone the same way. I haven't taken it off yet to see if it's the springs or something worse - if I remember rightly the alloy castings tend to bend or break completely after a while.

As already said, probably the only thing similar is a Kahler, which also have a similar problem with the springs stretching, although not the alloy problem since they're made from brass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    found it.   The chrome is quite badly pitted, but the rest seems functional