Guitar into Ableton...need something

What's Hot
St_HubbinsSt_Hubbins Frets: 189
Hi All,

I am rehearsing for some gigs where the plan is for me to play some live loops which the Keys player will manipulate in Ableton on the fly. It's working nicely as a concept, but need something between my guitar signal and the interface to warm it up a bit. Nothing to fancy, just something to add some body and make it sound less thin. I guess in the sansamp type ball park. 

Any ideas?

Thanks all,

Nick

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What about an amp-sim plugin in Ableton, if such a thing exists? Or a separate amp sim running on the keys player’s computer?
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    One of the AMT preamp pedals?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I use to use a Sansamp until I discovered AMT pedals. Much prefer them.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Line6 ux1 running Pod Farm?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys...really helpful
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    edited January 2018
    you need to make sure you have a proper instrument DI on the interface. Many are not built for guitar pickups, so only sound right if you put any clean pedal as a buffer in between, or have active pickups

after that, you can use any guitar sim as a plug in, within ableton
    You should be able to use free demo versions, look at NI Komplete Guitar Rig and IK amplitube

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-players/

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Go amplitube. No reason to further complicate your rig with hardware when free software can do the job just as well or even better.

If u wanted additional amp models or effects, you could then buy them piece by piece or as a whole set. 
  • This is all food for thought, thank you kindly guys!
  • If you go down the VST ampsim route you'll need a set up that enables low latency, which will be a function of interface and the power of your computer.

If you're not sure, a hardware preamp with amp simulation would avoid any potential issues. A super cheap option might be a Joyo American. Another relatively inexpensive option is a Line 6 GX1.

It's not a competition.
  • What would I do without the Fretboard? Well, I'd have a lot more dosh if I hadn't discovered the classifieds! But this is great advice from everyone.

Thanks stratman3142 - just looked at the Joyo's and that might do the trick. It's literally for setting up a couple of loops so don't need to much
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    DI outs on pedals don't cure the latency and ghost noise into Guitar Rig... You prob have bite the bullet and go Focusrite...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    DI outs on pedals don't cure the latency and ghost noise into Guitar Rig... You prob have bite the bullet and go Focusrite...
    I don't understand. If you use a direct monitoring system such that you're monitoring the sound before it goes into the computer then you don't have to worry about latency. Maybe I've misunderstood what you're saying.

Although, thinking about it, a direct monitoring system will require the signal to be split, so that some goes directly to the monitoring system and some goes into the computer.

It's not a competition.
  • I frequently record into Ableton and have played live whilst another band member manipulates and loops my signal using Ableton and a MIDI interface.

We achieved this using a Universal Audio Apollo Twin audio interface and a Hughes and Kettner Red Box which is built into the back of my Tubemeister but can be purchased as a standalone unit.

the difficulties we ran into included latency as people have mentioned in this thread and the processing overhead of operating this setup on a relatively old Mac book pro. This would likely cause less of an issue using modern or more powerful PCs.

Hope this helps.

• longilongi Frets: 95
    I use Ableton to record with, I also use a Line 6  UX1 with Podfarm with Redwirez IR's. I don't really get any noticeable latency once it's set up and it sounds great. My experience with with recording is that the guitar tends to sound a bit sterile anyway until it's all mixed together.
  • Recommend the Palmer pocket amp:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/palmer-mi-pocket-amp-mk-2-portable-guitar-preamp-preampmkii?LGWCODE=PREAMPMKII;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cStoYKq2QIVzrXtCh2oDQzHEAQYASABEgIj9_D_BwE

I use it for going straight to PA/Desk and it sounds really good. I compared and got a sound very close to my Fender Blues Deluxe that i was happy with. They're also really good for late night practice in hedphones!