Anyone here tried the Epiphone Limited Edition Korina Flying-V ?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7130
edited January 2018 in Guitar
I have an urge to get a '50s style Flying V and Epiphone make some really nice geetars for little money these days, so was thinking I might get one of these Korina Flying V models.

Haven't had the chance to play one, but own a Brent Hinds model which is really nice, so thought about picking one of these up as well.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The new Bonamassa one, or the usual korina one they do/did? I had one for a couple of years ~2006, it was a nice enough guitar from what I recall, but didn't have any low-end to speak of. I mostly put that down to the maple / poplar construction (mine was veneer-faced, definitely not Korina/idigbo for the body), as I also swapped the pickups out for better PAF-types. I'm sure the same can't be said for all of them though and regardless, they are a beautiful looking guitar.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7130
    edited January 2018

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited January 2018
    Tried one ( standard korina ) in GAK a few weeks ago, not my cuppa tea tbh? And not a patch on the old Korean Unsung ones. Chunky neck, think a big 59 profile, veneer top and back, ( very noticeable colour wise ) fit and finish good,  sound wise a litlte thin? But for the money £419 , I guess they will sell we'll? 
    Not sure if the bonamassa version will be another £300 plus better than this one? 
    I doubt it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Supposed to be a slim taper D profile neck, but I would prefer a bigger neck myself. Not worried too much about veneer, as its a cheap guitar.  But specs list it as '
    • Historical all Korina (African Limba) Flying-V Body

Nowhere near me has them in stock or I would go check them out

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/Ltd-Ed-Korina-Flying-V.aspx

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Hmm'  yeah just read that? Definitely felt a  chunkier neck than my Les Paul Traditional (50s D ) that's for sure? 
    edited January 2018
    I suppose like most things about guitars its subjective to a degree, as if you are used to thinner necks then this would feel thick.

Spotted these when they released a while back and really want to check one out before I buy, but as I'm in Exeter these days can't get to Brighton to try one.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    edited January 2018
    If you aren't a snob about the name there is literally nothing wrong with Epiphones, you can get a great giggable guitar for £300 as opposed to a vastly higher price for a Gibbon.

I've got an old Korean "Unsung" SG and newer Epiphones made in China and I'm not able to tell a meaningful difference.  The only thing I will say is I prefer the ProBucker pickups in the higher-end Epis to the "standard" ones.

Edit:  Epis do have that funny D-profile that winds some people up...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I used to have a Gibson 67 reissue and I bitterly regret selling that guitar. You can buy a brand new mahogany Gibson V for £750 at the moment and that's what I would get, the full fat V really does have a growl on the neck pickup which I don't think you would get with the Epi. - I just think Korina/Limba is too light for these guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not sure I agree with that but will say I'm not fussed by Epiphone being on the headstock and would probably avoid buying any modern Gibson guitars, as they are so hit and miss quality wise.

I'm cool with it not being made in the USA and I quite like African Limba as a wood, as it is light.

Just not sure if I would get along with the thinner neck profile, as I like a thicker neck whenever possible on guitars, just at £400 it seems like a good price for a good quality Flying V.

The standard mahogany V is hardly a heavy guitar.  That's why to me it makes no sense to make a V out of lighter wood. 

I doubt you would find anyone who has owned a "proper" Flying V buying a Korina version but if someone wants to make the case for Korina I'm happy to listen, having never played one. 
    Well, the original '58 Flying V models were all made from Korina, so it is the classic wood associated with them.

stonevibe said:
    Not sure I agree with that but will say I'm not fussed by Epiphone being on the headstock and would probably avoid buying any modern Gibson guitars, as they are so hit and miss quality wise.

I'm cool with it not being made in the USA and I quite like African Limba as a wood, as it is light.

Just not sure if I would get along with the thinner neck profile, as I like a thicker neck whenever possible on guitars, just at £400 it seems like a good price for a good quality Flying V.

Surely you need to try one?

These things are so very, very subjective - you won't know until you either spend your own cash on a guitar you might not like, or try one in a shop...?
    stonevibe said:

These things are so very, very subjective - you won't know until you either spend your own cash on a guitar you might not like, or try one in a shop...?
    I agree.

However, didn't think it would hurt to ask on here as I know a lot of forum members live near shops that I don't and so may have tried them out in the real world.

Chances are I will buy one anyway and give it a go, as £400 is pretty cheap for a guitar.

• stonevibe said:

The ones ive tried were very impressively put together, the neck is a beast on these, 'deffo 59 thick. For £419 ive been thinking about one myself.

stonevibe said:
    stonevibe said:

I agree.

However, didn't think it would hurt to ask on here as I know a lot of forum members live near shops that I don't and so may have tried them out in the real world.

Chances are I will buy one anyway and give it a go, as £400 is pretty cheap for a guitar.
    Doesn't hurt at all of course! :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    Neill said:
    I just think Korina/Limba is too light for these guitars.

Neill said:
    The standard mahogany V is hardly a heavy guitar.  That's why to me it makes no sense to make a V out of lighter wood. 

I doubt you would find anyone who has owned a "proper" Flying V buying a Korina version but if someone wants to make the case for Korina I'm happy to listen, having never played one. 

Some average weights for you from the wood database:

limba: 555 kg/m3
    Hoduran Mahogany: 
    590 kg/m3
    red alder: 
    450 kg/m3
    Swamp Ash: 
    481-538 kg/m3

To put that in real terms If the average weight mahognay V was 9lb, the average weight korina one would be about 8 1/2lb.  The alder one would be under 7lb and the swamp ash one could be anywhere in between

Mahogany and limba vary in weight quite a lot, there is a hell of a lot of crossover between the two species and that average comes with a very wide range. enough to say there is no guarantee a korina guitar will be lighter

And yes, a "proper" V is korina
    stonevibe said:
    Well, the original '58 Flying V models were all made from Korina, so it is the classic wood associated with them.

WezV said:
    Neill said:
    I just think Korina/Limba is too light for these guitars.

Neill said:

Some average weights for you from the wood database:

limba: 555 kg/m3
    Hoduran Mahogany: 590 kg/m3
    red alder: 450 kg/m3
    Swamp Ash: 481-538 kg/m3

To put that in real terms If the average weight mahognay V was 9lb, the average weight korina one would be about 8 1/2lb.  The alder one would be under 7lb and the swamp ash one could be anywhere in between

Mahogany and limba vary in weight quite a lot, there is a hell of a lot of crossover between the two species and that average comes with a very wide range. enough to say there is no guarantee a korina guitar will be lighter

And yes, a "proper" V is korina

The Flying V was originally designed to be made out of mahogany. The prototypes were considered at the time to be too heavy, so korina was used to save weight.

With all due respect to Albert King, the original korina V was not a popular guitar.  Only when Gibson reintroduced the guitar in 1967  - in mahogany as originally intended - did it find favour. 

The classic V is the 67 model, original korina guitars may be worth a fortune but that is because of their rarity. 

I suspect korina guitars are not as well balanced as the mahogany versions but I take the point, these days there might not be a serious difference in weight as there clearly was in the 1950's.  I still wish I had a V so I must try out one of the korinas for myself.  If I could get the sound I had with my '67 for a lot less money, I'd be very happy.    

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, you really should forget what you read and play some.

The original V’s lack of popularity has nothing to do with the wood choice.  It was all to do with the shape.

who knows why Gibson really switched from mahogany to Korina.  I accept a slight weight reduction may have been one factor but it won’t have been the only one.  It certainly has little relevance in a discussion of modern epi phones.

For comparison, my mahogany moderne build was 7lb with no hidden weight relief.  I 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    My other Epi V is mahogany and I think it is pretty lightweight, not sure if the difference between mahogany and korina will make a lot of difference.

Knowing Gibson they probably just used what they could buy for a better price back in the '50s and then again in the '60s...

https://i.imgur.com/A41Fsjp.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018

I suspect it was an aesthetic choice for the range, something to differentiate these crazy modern looking things.   Gibson wasn't known for its natural finishes at this point either

The wood choice never went as far as the standard range of Les pauls or the lighter SG's that followed them.   I know weight is a common question on new les pauls (thanks to the 70's), not sure it will have been back in 1958