Parlour guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• darcym said:
    In the end this £300.00 guitar cost me £195.00 in P+P but they used FedEx and it came right away.
    The duty fees to get this guitar to Britain (and the rest of the EU) market cost me £83.00= £578 on a £300.00 guitar.

I like it.
    Sounds like that (those videos I've shared), looks as good as it sounds, and even has this whole bad boy vibe about it that resonates in my playing and for it, I feel I am a better player. 
    is it possible to tune it ?

is the weight distributed on it evenly as it appears to be moving around all over the place while you're playing it

is there a problem with the action on it, as you seem to be struggling to hit a single chord
    It's in tune, you're just some Herman Li wannabe.
    Also, I have yet to see your playing, so to me, you're not even a guitar player, because guitar players are cool, you're that pissy little critic who just has to tare people down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:
    Do you even own a parlor guitar? @darcym ;;;
    Do you even have any recording of your playing?
    Are you going to recommend OP buy a Tanglewood or some other modern shit guitar with no heritage that I wouldn't be caught dead playing? 

I don't actually owner a parlor, I've been debating one (have a look in some of my older posts where I discuss the problems I have with the generic parlor models and ask for advice on how to get around them) I'm on the look out, hence looking at this forum.

I have recordings of my playing why do you ask ?

I'm not sure why you think modern guitars are shit ? most of them a really good

The Washburn Parlors I played are really really good they just had a few things that I couldn't get over, and the price point - wow, much cheaper than the £490+ you ended up spending on that guitar. I bought a Sigma Parlor to keep as a cost effective practice tool while living away from home for a while, its for sale in the classifieds (so technically yes I do own one, but not one I'd want to keep) it was superb value for money, exceptionally well made, it was the neck profile I struggled with on it, in the end I ended up buying a Martin LXE second hand to keep at that house, and it turned into a great parlor "style" guitar, but it doesn't quite tick the box, but again, very modern, very good, maybe a tad pricey now after Ed Shearan put them back on the map, but I'm on the look out for a Parlor at the moment, and I wouldn't know what to recommend to the OP, hence following the thread.

First of all, I feel like Jimi Hendrix felt about Bob Dylan in regards to Ed Sheeran - I could do it better basically.
    Thanks to Ed' you now have me warming up my voice.
    Now, unless you're aware of Stella by Harmony, then you're not clued in. And should probably just settle for a modern guitar.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited February 2018
    darcym said:
    Do you even own a parlor guitar? @darcym ;;;;
    Are you going to recommend OP buy a Tanglewood or some other modern shit guitar with no heritage that I wouldn't be caught dead playing? 

I don't actually owner a parlor, I've been debating one (have a look in some of my older posts where I discuss the problems I have with the generic parlor models and ask for advice on how to get around them) I'm on the look out, hence looking at this forum.

The Washburn Parlors I played are really really good they just had a few things that I couldn't get over, and the price point - wow, much cheaper than the £490+ you ended up spending on that guitar. I bought a Sigma Parlor to keep as a cost effective practice tool while living away from home for a while, its for sale in the classifieds (so technically yes I do own one, but not one I'd want to keep) it was superb value for money, exceptionally well made, it was the neck profile I struggled with on it, in the end I ended up buying a Martin LXE second hand to keep at that house, and it turned into a great parlor "style" guitar, but it doesn't quite tick the box, but again, very modern, very good, maybe a tad pricey now after Ed Shearan put them back on the map, but I'm on the look out for a Parlor at the moment, and I wouldn't know what to recommend to the OP, hence following the thread.

First of all, I feel like Jimi Hendrix felt about Bob Dylan in regards to Ed Sheeran - I could do it better basically.
    Now, unless you're aware of Stella by Harmony, then you're not clued in. And should probably just settle for a modern guitar.

I assure you, you couldn't do it better than Ed, take an objective look at the videos you post.

I'm not aware of Stella by Harmony, beyond what you've posted in here, and I don't feel that you've done a good job of selling it to be honest, but that doesn't mean it's not worth a look, once again you reference "modern guitars" as if it's dirty thing, you know there are bad old guitars too right ? just because something is 60 years old doesn't make it automatically good

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:
    darcym said:
    Do you even own a parlor guitar? @darcym ;;;;

I assure you, you couldn't do it better than Ed, take an objective look at the videos you post.

There you go, always the critic...
    Maybe you deserve to be an Ed fan.
    I personally don't see what the big deal is.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @darcym that whole tone/action of a Stella is something to appreciate both as a player and a listener...
    Something new guitars just aren't doing for me.
    so you slate modern guitars randomly
    you slate Ed Shearan  - yet I'm the critic ?

I'm not actually a big Ed Shearan fan, he's dome some clever stuff, he's brought some real modern attention to the acoustic guitar again and he's had huge success, I only referenced him as a reason why the Martin LXE had now become higher priced and not so good value as it once was.

You don't do the Stella the justice you say it should warrant, you've not tuned it and you play very sloppy on it, it's hard to appreciate it from your video when you're just hitting the strings as hard as possible and not even making chord shapes, and it's hard to take your review honestly though when you show random bias towards things like "modern guitars are bad" or "Ibanez player being lesser".

That said there are some nice demos of it on youtube with people putting a much nicer demonstration together, and it certainly doesn't sound bad by a long shot, and I like the fret markers visually. I doesn't stand out as "amazing" though, but it sounds far from bad in other peoples hands that have tuned it.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6792
    Get a room you two - your spoiling the thread!!!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited February 2018
    You slated my Stella first @darcym because you don't know D,A,D,G,A,D with a capo on the 3rd or standard E.
    I mean, I would have left well enough alone, but when you say it's not in tune, that's when you're being a P.
    Your post lacked understanding of durability, tone and heritage of this old cheap worth the p+p & import duties 1951 Stella you mocked... Because it's stock.
    It's not the best example of one I've found on the internet, but it, when I tune it E Standard and use a capo on third, I am pleased to say, does sound close to the best one I've found on the internet.
    But since it wasn't for sale and out of the 3 with out a truss rod that was for sale, my one had all it's paint and looked less beaten, so that's why I paid top $...
    You can find one from anywhere from $20 (if you're lucky and these people are, they do that and come online about how they bought it for $20)... It's rare but it happens (not sure if it's my exact model variant, but it happens) to $100.00 with ware or $200.00 with less ware to no more than £300.00 in good condition.
    I LOVE (I may have said like, but I'm going to bump that like up to love and say); I love how my guitar is stock.
    How Chicken Bone John or anyone else in this world bless 'em, haven't modded this guitar (like a lot of the other ones not for $20.00 pretty much are) to sound all crisp like... 
    Like my other Early 50's Parlour (from Italy) - I just don't see the point of modding it when it's not broken and sounds/plays okay.

unlike a modern cheap guitar, my one is light, and well built/built to last...
    I think that's awesome, plus I fear carpel tunnel syndrome and Tanglewoods alike.

But then I haven't owned a Tanglewood worth more than £300.00
    Both I bought new, both before I understood the importance of nice guitar Vs. not a nice guitar in terms of parts and feel and weight and all of that that make a nice guitar a nice guitar and a horrible guitar a horrible guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You slated my Stella first @darcym because you don't know D,A,D,G,A,D with a capo on the 3rd or standard E.
    I mean, I would have left well enough alone, but when you say it's not in tune, that's when you're being a P.
    Your post lacked understanding of durability, tone and heritage of this old cheap worth the p+p & import duties stella you mocked... Because it's stock.
    It's not the best example of one I've found on the internet, but it, when I tune it E Standard and use a capo on third, I am pleased to say, does sound close to the best one I've found on the internet.
    But since it wasn't for sale and out of the 3 with out a truss rod that was for sale, my one had all it's paint and looked less beaten, so that's why I paid top $...
    You can find one from anywhere from $20 (if you're lucky and these people are, they do that and come online about how they bought it for $20)... It's rare but it happens (not sure if it's my exact model variant, but it happens) to $100.00 with ware or $200.00 with less ware to no more than £300.00 in good condition.
    I LOVE (I may have said like, but I'm going to bump that like up to love and say); I love how my guitar is stock.
    How Chicken Bone John or anyone else in this world bless 'em, haven't modded this guitar (like a lot of the other ones not for $20.00 pretty much are) to sound all crisp like... 
    Like my other Early 50's Parlour (from Italy) - I just don't see the point of modding it when it's not broken and sounds/plays okay.

unlike a modern cheap guitar, my one is light, and well built/built to last...
    I think that's awesome, plus I fear carpel tunnel syndrome and Tanglewoods alike.

But then I haven't owned a Tanglewood worth more than £300.00
    Both I bought new, both before I understood the importance of nice guitar Vs. not a nice guitar in terms of parts and feel and weight and all of that that make a nice guitar a nice guitar and a horrible guitar a horrible guitar.

alternative tunings or standard tuning, it's out of tune. - I don't know what being a "P" is, I can only assume some sort of insult.
    I've not mocked anything because it's "stock" most of my guitars are stock, no-one mentioned it being original or modified. 
    no-one has mentioned anything to do with any guitar being stock or modified in any way, so I'm not sure why you've just started hammering that point home randomly ?
    Again you slate modern guitars "unlike a modern guitar mine is well built" most modern guitars, especially in acoustics will out perform the lower end older ones because techniques and tools have improved over the time raising the bar for lower end stuff beyond what it was 30 years ago.

Being old or new doesn't automatically make it good / bad, so I'm not sure why you're fixated on that.

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited February 2018
    You also mocked how I held it, complaining of a weight distribution problem in the same post @darcym - It's called the guitar making you dance, but IDK, I assume (now) that when you play, you're not jumping around/kicking your legs out/stamping your feet out of good timing and good fun (beside it's natural) - so when you see the guitar moving about a bit, it''s just me rocking out with it/loving it/dare I say it, sitting down with it in my lap and tapping my feet with it/enjoying it is all I can say.

It's like you complain of this old bluesy/country American guitar that you can take to the woods and not worry about it breaking as you sing around a campfire with it if that's what you're in to, and wonder I'm not sold on anything you say.
    It's like you deserve a cheap modern instead you P
    hilistine when you slate my stock 1951 Stella. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    it's impossible to discuss with you, I'll move away from this, this blind hang up on your guitar being good because it's old and modern guitars being bad because it's new makes your view impossible to validate. 

• £98.00
    Comes with carpel tunnel syndrome, I bet you.
  • http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H929/239.htm

This is a very interesting find about the guitar I'm into atm.
    This American parlor.

• This is the UK guy, he's also... The guy who takes a stock one, and turns it into a modded one that's better than how it came out of the factory. Power to him and everything, but, I just don't know.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Back on topic, what parlour guitar for about a £1000 secondhand would folks recommend?  Not into vintage stuff.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Eastman E20P
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    This is a great story by American guitarist Sir Richard Bishop on how he ended up buying his parlour guitar: 
  • Martin 00-15 or 00-17. Gibson L-00 if you can find one at that price. Larrivee parlours may be worth checking out also.
  • TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
  • TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9